Pacquiao-Bradley

MikeB
Posted
Posted

So much for the theory that the challenger has to "take" the belt from the champion that we discussed here after the last Pacman bout. It wasn't nearly as one-sided as the HBO team of Lampley, Stewart, and Lederman called it but almost all observers felt Pacquiao easily won. It looked like Bradley was as shocked as anyone by the decision. Maybe karma for the Marquez decision(s)?

• Like 2

Brad616
Posted
Posted

Wonder how this will affect his payday with Floyd-- maybe Floyd will get in trouble in jail and hence more pressure put on him. :no: to negoiate a fairer purse

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Before the declaration, even Bradley thought that he had lost...

They are saying that they won't but I really think that the Nevada AG's office should take a close look at what is going on with the judges for this bout!

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Before the declaration, even Bradley thought that he had lost...

They are saying that they won't but I really think that the Nevada AG's office should take a close look at what is going on with the judges for this bout!

Well Bob, it seems the world over, where there are Judge's, the share of the purse becomes lighter. and Xmas comes sooner than we think :angry:

• Like 1

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Wonder how this will affect his payday with Floyd-- maybe Floyd will get in trouble in jail and hence more pressure put on him. :no: to negoiate a fairer purse

I am one of the many who believe that there will never be a fight between Manny and Floyd. Not because of the two fighters not wanting to fight each other but because of the hatred between Floyd and Bob Arums. At this point in his career I don''t think Manny really cares if he ever fights Floyd and he might even be a bit happy with the fact that by the judges stealing away his win over Bradley that he will now get another big payday fight with Bradley in the rematch. He might just make about as much in a rematch with Bradley as he would have made in a fight with Floyd.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

He will never beat Mayweather at this point. He has nothing to prove against Bradley except making money and he can do that with his many businesses. He's an international celebrity with an overall good image. This is the perfect time for him to walk away from the cesspool of boxing and pursue other things. There's an eventual price to pay for getting punched in the head, ask his trainer.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

A few of my thoughts on the fight ...... first off I'm afraid that Manny has lost the killer instinct he used to have ...... you never let up on someone when you have them almost beaten ..... second if you leave it in the hands of the judges anything can and will happen .... as Manny found out ....

Now here is something interesting ..... the Nevada boxing commission sets up who will judge ..... the Manny fight brought an estimated 100 mil. in revenue to the city ..... there are no other fights of that caliber scheduled in the foreseeable future for Vegas ...... so what would you do ..... just what they did throw the fight so Manny and Bradly have to fight again as the contract says with in 6 months ...... dirty ... sure but that is the way the world rolls .... they know Manny loves to fight there so why not ..... in all the years the Nevada boxing commission has been in existence they have NEVER reversed a decision ..... a very few no contests but never a reversal ...... solution to the corruption ....... fight in a different city ...... New York ..... Atlantic City ...... Miami ...... there are a ton of other places ...... if Nevada is allowed to get away with this sham they will do it again and again ......

I also agree Manny should in his present mind state never fight Floyd ...... as I said his new found religion as robbed him of his killer instinct ......

Edited by Mike S

Curley
Posted
Posted

Another question.......Did Manny know in advance that he was going to "lose"? Another hefty payday for the re-match?

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I missed the first six rounds while hunting a streaming feed the other day, and the feed I got wasn't that good. Watched the torrent again last night, and the HBO team was definitely hyping Manny too much. The compubox stats definitely support Manny, but I tried to score the bout from a devil's advocate position. What I got was 7-5, Bradley.

Here's why:

1. He took rounds off.

2. He took half-rounds off.

3. His statistical advantage on compubox comes from huge flurries in just a handful of rounds.

4. Bradley never stopped throwing punches, even though they were getting blocked or had no power.

A lot of judges just give a close round to the busier fighter, and while Pacquiao patiently waited for the right time to put his punches together, Bradley was just constantly throwing pitty-pat hooks and jobs the whole fight. The only reason to give him the rounds he won isn't because he was effective, but because Manny wasn't doing much. Keep in mind, my first viewing, I only watched rounds 7~12, so when the scorecards were read, I wasn't shocked. I thought that's what you get when you take your foot off the gas. Rounds 1 and 2 were gift-wrapped to Pacquiao by HBO just on the merit that nothing really happened. You can't win a round on one half-decent shot.

So I gave 1 and 2 to Bradley, based on looking busier, then the next 4 to Pacman because it was obvious, and then round 7 to Bradley, 8 to Pacman, and 9~12 to Bradley because Pacman didn't put a stamp on it.

The stunning thing was that in most of those rounds where Pac looked uninspired, he was still landing more shots. The problem is that he was waiting a long time to get off, and when he did, Bradley made sure to wing a few desperate hooks that wouldn't land, but would at least look convincing.

Anyways, that's me playing devil's advocate just to make sense of it. Bottom line is Pacquiao did way more damage, but it was concentrated in the middle rounds, and it's a fight scored round by 12 rounds.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)

I actually think Manny won the Marquez fight on a second viewing, though the live fight I thought he lost. Marquez looked better with his more obvious flurries and counters, but people miss the number of times Marquez was left swinging at air after taking two or three quick ones to the face. Pac's shots weren't as obvious because they were sneaking in through a tight defense, while Marquez was on occasion tagging a fighter who was opening up to force the action. Even compubox had Manny beating Marquez in every category. The rounds Marquez won were way clearer, but the "close" rounds, were actually Manny rounds.

Edited by ekimswish
  • Like 1