Hdr Photography

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Anybody into HDR photography? Once I get over to Phils I want to improve my photography skills and experiment with HDR. Some of the beautiful Phils scenery should be perfect for HDR. I have a Pentax K7. If anyone knows of any good HDR learning resources, let me know.

A pro photographer is here at my house right now, shooting pics for the real estate sale. He is shooting with a nice Nikon setup, all in HDR, 9 captures per picture at 14 mp. They use a special post processing to make the HDR photos look natural. He has been here for more than 2 hours and said he will take 1000+ photos.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

If anyone knows of any good HDR learning resources, let me know.

I have a Bachelor of Arts in Professional Photography degree from California. Of courses, this was during the era when our freshman class was required to use 4" x 5" view cameras for all school assignments. Try taking sports action pictures when you have to look at an upside down image underneath a black piece of cloth, close the shutter, add the film plate, and take a picture. Everything is now digital, although there are fanatical photography groups who use view cameras only and sneer at everyone else. The new 8" x 10" cameras and accessories could cost you $10,000 to $20,000.

I digress. My plans for an Agritourism business starting in 2013 include photography workshops at the farm location. The farm is less than 75 kilometers from Metro Manila in the foothills of the Sierra Madre mountains. Photography workshops will range from basic, "How to..." to more advanced technical training. I won't teach, but I know how to source for skilled instructors. I have already contacted another farm growing 200 varieties of orchids. The owner does not want the location publicized because of thieves, but he has agreed to allow a photography workshop group. It's an exchange deal. He gets to use some of the pictures for his sales.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

If anyone knows of any good HDR learning resources, let me know.

I have a Bachelor of Arts in Professional Photography degree from California. Of courses, this was during the era when our freshman class was required to use 4" x 5" view cameras for all school assignments. Try taking sports action pictures when you have to look at an upside down image underneath a black piece of cloth, close the shutter, add the film plate, and take a picture. Everything is now digital, although there are fanatical photography groups who use view cameras only and sneer at everyone else. The new 8" x 10" cameras and accessories could cost you $10,000 to $20,000.

I digress. My plans for an Agritourism business starting in 2013 include photography workshops at the farm location. The farm is less than 75 kilometers from Metro Manila in the foothills of the Sierra Madre mountains. Photography workshops will range from basic, "How to..." to more advanced technical training. I won't teach, but I know how to source for skilled instructors. I have already contacted another farm growing 200 varieties of orchids. The owner does not want the location publicized because of thieves, but he has agreed to allow a photography workshop group. It's an exchange deal. He gets to use some of the pictures for his sales.

Wow! This fits right into my plans to see your farm! Keep me posted!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I am a newbie when it comes to technology. Haven't learned to use text messaging. Don't intend to learn. Everyone in Manila tells me I am committing a mortal sin since whenever they text, I call them up. Hopefully, the two attached photographs are okay. Tom may have to fix the formatting.

These are examples of the natural beauty at the farm. My idea is to start with a nude photography workshop. The second natural swimming pool at one time had a ledge with waterfall. The ledge collapsed during a heavy storm. My father was approached years ago by a film crew who wanted to shoot a scene for either Emmanuel II or III. He sent me to negotiate an agreement with their production manager. Things were progressing well until my mother learned what was going on. All negotiations were immediately terminated. Needless to say my father and I were disappointment. I told the production manager the two of us had to be at the filming to make sure they don't damage the rain forest habitat. Honest!

In those days, Emmanuel, the first was filmed in Thailand, was extremely controversial, but a huge success at the box office. The same film today looks like a Walt Disney Production. Come to think about it, I should promote the farm as a possible movie film location.

post-1632-0-01007500-1339543609_thumb.jp

post-1632-0-26379000-1339543628_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

I sold all my DSLR gear as I wanted to travel much lighter when I go to the Philippines. On previous trips I took many photos but I also missed out on a lot as well because I was a little worried at times to pull out expensive equipment in front of people that were often desperate and hungry. I decided to buy myself a Nokia N8 Smartphone which is a couple of years old now and due to be replaced with the 808, that cost me under $300 new on Ebay, great investment. This phone has 12 mp although no where near as good as a DSRL camera with 12 MP but it still shoots good enough photos and very nice HD video @30 fps (with latest updates). On my previous trip using my Nokia N8 I took so many more photos and was able to grab shots wherever I went that I would have missed with my Nikon and DSLR gear.

When I eventually settle there and have a home etc then I would love to buy a new camera and gear but I think when you are traveling then it's better to travel light and have easy access to taking photos and to als be discreet in some situations.

As for HDR, I was putting out a few HDR photos and was using Lightroom first, then I would take it into Photomax which is dedicated HDR program. You can use Photoshop as well to merge photos for HDR. I had my Nikon setup on one dedicated setting I could switch to at any time to shoot HDR. It truly can make photos look amazing if done right. Here is a website with some good tutorials on HDR Photography http://www.hdrphotos.org/

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I sold all my DSLR gear as I wanted to travel much lighter when I go to the Philippines. On previous trips I took many photos but I also missed out on a lot as well because I was a little worried at times to pull out expensive equipment in front of people that were often desperate and hungry. I decided to buy myself a Nokia N8 Smartphone which is a couple of years old now and due to be replaced with the 808, that cost me under $300 new on Ebay, great investment. This phone has 12 mp although no where near as good as a DSRL camera with 12 MP but it still shoots good enough photos and very nice HD video @30 fps (with latest updates). On my previous trip using my Nokia N8 I took so many more photos and was able to grab shots wherever I went that I would have missed with my Nikon and DSLR gear.

When I eventually settle there and have a home etc then I would love to buy a new camera and gear but I think when you are traveling then it's better to travel light and have easy access to taking photos and to als be discreet in some situations.

As for HDR, I was putting out a few HDR photos and was using Lightroom first, then I would take it into Photomax which is dedicated HDR program. You can use Photoshop as well to merge photos for HDR. I had my Nikon setup on one dedicated setting I could switch to at any time to shoot HDR. It truly can make photos look amazing if done right. Here is a website with some good tutorials on HDR Photography http://www.hdrphotos.org/

Yes, I know the feeling about the expensive equipment. I have a small camera as well, and use it much more often than the DSLR. Thanks for the info and link!

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Anybody into HDR photography? Once I get over to Phils I want to improve my photography skills and experiment with HDR. Some of the beautiful Phils scenery should be perfect for HDR. I have a Pentax K7. If anyone knows of any good HDR learning resources, let me know.

A pro photographer is here at my house right now, shooting pics for the real estate sale. He is shooting with a nice Nikon setup, all in HDR, 9 captures per picture at 14 mp. They use a special post processing to make the HDR photos look natural. He has been here for more than 2 hours and said he will take 1000+ photos.

1000+ photos just to get a few good ones? He must be the world's worse photographer. What is he doing? Does he have the camera strapped to his waist and he's walking around pressing the shutter button without aiming it? A good photographer does not need to take 1000+ photos for a real estate sale. Maybe he's charging you by the photo.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

1000+ photos just to get a few good ones? He must be the world's worse photographer. What is he doing? Does he have the camera strapped to his waist and he's walking around pressing the shutter button without aiming it? A good photographer does not need to take 1000+ photos for a real estate sale. Maybe he's charging you by the photo.

No, I realized after I posted that I said it wrong. He told me he averages over 1000 shots per house, but I realized later that he was including the 9 captures per HDR composition. So 900 shots would be 100 final images. Out of those, 30+ will be used in the house listing and the others will be available to the realtor and potential buyers. I have seen his work and he is good. I will share the photos when they are available.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

sorry, excuse my Wednesday silly hour! All this is well beyond me, I am still on the Kodak Brownie it all sounds good fun hope it all turns out well :lol:

post-2148-0-31432300-1339594793_thumb.jp

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I guess my Kodak Tourist won't cut it then... It's older than I am and it's in much better shape too! Here is a pic of one I found online though mine is in about the same condition...

post-1994-0-28720500-1339595930_thumb.jp

• Like 2