The New Adobe Flash Player

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I can't view any of my band with testing sites and 89% of all the movies on Veetle are jumping all over the place even on low kbps's ..... well I have deleted and reinstalled Flashplayer about 6 times with the same problem ..... finally I found on Google that the new Adobe Flash player and Firefox are having an issue .... it even effects some Linux machines ....... seems Adobe jumped on out there with a new Flash Player that wasn't thoroughly tested and what a bunch of problems it is causing ..... even on some U tubes .....

The next trick was to install an earlier version of Flash Player ..... it kept tell me it couldn't install because a more updated version was available ..... yea right already tried their up dated version ..... finally after jumping through hoops I got the older version loaded and all the problems went away .....

Just a note when you go to install Flash Player it gives you 3 choices in TINY LITTLE LETTERS ..... the first choice is automatically chosen ...... it wants you to automatically install all Flash Player updates ....... DON'T DO IT ..... chose the next option which says "Let me chose what to download or not" (or something like that) ...... and the last chose id "never install updates" ...... each time you either update or download the first box will be checked ..... that's how got into trouble ..... IMHO

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

You are so right, Mike! It's almost like Flash has become an obsolete thing that is getting upgrades written by beginners... I started noticing this almost 2 years ago and rarely use it any more... There are many other options for those of us who use Linux!

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

I had the same problem. Happened just before leaving Cebu to go to Tacloban on our home computer. I haven't had the time to fix it yet. I will when I get home tonight. What is the site you found to download an older copy?

Thanks

Mike S
Posted
Posted

T-R-F ....... go to the bottom of this page from Adobe and download any one you want ...... be sure and follow the the instructions proceeding the downloads ..... they say you can download more than one and switch between them .... but I chose not to do that ..... funny the reports seem to reflect it doesn't include XP in the list just Vista and Win7 and some Linux ..... and it works just fine watched movies on Veetle for 5 hours last night with NO PROBLEMS ..... and I jumped around the different channels just to make sure ..... I could even play the movies again in low definition like I used to be able to ......

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

• Like 3

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted

Why upgrade when there's no need? If you have something that works just stick with it.

I have 3 different systems here, XP, Vista and Win 7. Vista has been a nightmare from day one. Win 7 is on my laptop which I just dont use unless I go away. XP is my chosen main system, 7 years old and still going strong. I rarely update anything unless I absolutely have to (aside from Avast of course and any important Microsoft updates). No need to fix what isn't broke.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Most of the reasons to update is security ..... there are people (and I use that term loosely) out there that just about try anything to break a program or try to hack into your computer ..... companies are constantly upgrading their programs to keep this from happening ...... and with media type programs they are making new enhancements for things such as new games and videos ..... and many of these new games and videos will not play on older versions of the media programs ..... ex. .... Veetle has introduced a new player to watch their movies on line .... the old one will not work as they have made it mandatory to download the new one ...... you can of course use a different flash player but you loose some of the features and enhancements of the Veetle player .....

I have no problem updating a program I just need to wait a bit until all the bugs are worked out ...... which are supposed to be in the beta versions of the programs ..... but companies will get into a hurry ... like Adobe did ..... because another company was about to launch their new media so they jumped the gun and caused a whole bunch of problems ......

By the way the new Adobe Flash Player WILL work on XP ..... just not on Vista ... Win7 and some Linux ..... I think it has to do with the new 3D enhancements everyone is trying to get the jump on ...... kinda like a horse race .... the winner gets the prize .... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

T-R-F ....... go to the bottom of this page from Adobe and download any one you want ...... be sure and follow the the instructions proceeding the downloads ..... they say you can download more than one and switch between them .... but I chose not to do that ..... funny the reports seem to reflect it doesn't include XP in the list just Vista and Win7 and some Linux ..... and it works just fine watched movies on Veetle for 5 hours last night with NO PROBLEMS ..... and I jumped around the different channels just to make sure ..... I could even play the movies again in low definition like I used to be able to ......

http://helpx.adobe.c...r-versions.html

Thanks. I finally figured it out. I have been able to start using Firefox again. The new Adobe Flash Player worked with my older version of Internet explorer but not with firefox. I was able to download flash player version 10. something and it works great. I watch movies on you tube as well as some of the news channels on the net.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted

Most of the reasons to update is security ..... there are people (and I use that term loosely) out there that just about try anything to break a program or try to hack into your computer ..... companies are constantly upgrading their programs to keep this from happening ...... and with media type programs they are making new enhancements for things such as new games and videos ..... and many of these new games and videos will not play on older versions of the media programs ..... ex. .... Veetle has introduced a new player to watch their movies on line .... the old one will not work as they have made it mandatory to download the new one ...... you can of course use a different flash player but you loose some of the features and enhancements of the Veetle player .....

I have no problem updating a program I just need to wait a bit until all the bugs are worked out ...... which are supposed to be in the beta versions of the programs ..... but companies will get into a hurry ... like Adobe did ..... because another company was about to launch their new media so they jumped the gun and caused a whole bunch of problems ......

By the way the new Adobe Flash Player WILL work on XP ..... just not on Vista ... Win7 and some Linux ..... I think it has to do with the new 3D enhancements everyone is trying to get the jump on ...... kinda like a horse race .... the winner gets the prize .... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

I already covered security hence my reference to Avast and Microsoft.

If something is broke and no longer working, of course fix it. It's just my experience that people will update because they feel they should do. One error leads to another and more often than not it's unnecessary.

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I already covered security hence my reference to Avast and Microsoft.

Sorry but I gotta disagree with you! Updating Avast and doing your MicroSoft updates is not security! MS is the most insecure OS going and will always be that way... And no "anti-virus" product is going to pick up everything. That is why any security expert will tell you to run more than one "anti-virus" and do back-ups.

If a product you have installed calls for an update, that means that the product you have installed is broken. The update is there for a reason. Google for issues about the update first though because, as often as not, companies like MS and Adobe, for various reasons, are not fully testing their patches and updates and are leaving your machine broken in other ways. Sometimes you can't see the difference... Other times you are dead in the water...

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I am Bob....

Seems you are double posting within the same post. This is the second one like this I have seen. My guess is some sort of javascript related bug triggered by the web client you are using. Being a tech guy yourself I am confident you will track it down.