The New Adobe Flash Player

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

After an hour downloading the old version of Shockwave I read the 'readme' and it says I downloaded the version for Mac and Linux. Rats. Foiled again.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Arrrrgh. Chrome has its own built in Flash player that it auto updates. Lets suggest I disable that, does anyone know what is the last, stable version of Flash that plays well on Vista? The one I downloaded is for a Mac and I don't want to download the wrong one again.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The latest flash works fine in Vista - you just have to know how to install it. Hint - it's not like it used to be! Follow these directions for 32 bit Vista:

• Go to and open "Computer".
  • Go down to "C:\Windows\System32\" and open it.
  • Go down to "Macromed" directory and open it.
  • Go down to "Flash" directory and open it.
  • Find "FlashUtil9b" and right click on it.
  • Select "Run as Administrator" and then wait for the "UAC" prompt.
  • Select "Continue"
  • Install Flash through the Flash Player Installation Wizard.

Once everything is completed, you want to format your hard drive and install Linux so that your computer will actually do what it is suppose to do... :mocking:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Once everything is completed, you want to format your hard drive and install Linux so that your computer will actually do what it is suppose to do

:541: Thanks for the advice, although the Linux plug is a non starter. I can't even get a Flash player to work LOL. Speaking of. What is the difference between the Flash and the Shockwave , if any and do I need both?

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)
Once everything is completed, you want to format your hard drive and install Linux so that your computer will actually do what it is suppose to do

:541: Thanks for the advice, although the Linux plug is a non starter. I can't even get a Flash player to work LOL. Speaking of. What is the difference between the Flash and the Shockwave , if any and do I need both?

Depending on what you like to do on your computer, you may need both.

Shockwave is the older program from Macromedia and plays back apps built with Adobe Director - originally for CDs and that new thing called a web page. These are usually multimedia bits and, more recently, getting much bigger into the 3d games and such. Flash can't do that worth carp. And the nice thing about Shockwave is that Flash content can be put inside a Shockwave app. Flash was originally called Shockwave Flash - that's why the files all end in .swf . And Flash will play files built under Adobe Flash. Most computers will come with Flash now but not all will have Shockwave.

So do you need both? Are you running 3D apps? Your choice or you can still put in both.

As for installing Flash the easy way? Just install the latest version of Linux Mint! It comes with Flash already installed! In fact, it is called the Operating System in a Box - meaning that just about any computer and attaching hardware (such as printers) will run right away once Mint is installed. No searching for drivers. Download Mint to your desktop, burn it to a DVD, boot from that DVD and try it without installing if you want. If you like it, you can always install it on it's own or as a dual boot system with Windows. Too easy!

(Hmmm... Was that plug better? :mocking: )

Edited by I am bob
corrected copy

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
(Hmmm... Was that plug better? )

I think that there are many of us casual users that do not want to do anything to our computers that may cause them to self destruct. If there is any, repeat any chance of screwing it up then I steer away from it. The laptop does what I want and I want what it does and unless there is a problem I do not fix it. There does not seem to be a problem with Windows Vista except the Flash stuff and so far I can live with that.

But its a good plug for someone looking to experiment.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hey Dave .... give this a try .......... I'd stay away from anything Linux .... I never seen such a bunch of guys as the Linux guys .... they are all the time trying to convert the rest of us to Linux ..... worst than a bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses ...... (sorry Bob ...... couldn't resist ..... :hystery: :hystery: )

Copied this from the web .......

After having been asked to update my Flash Player, from 9 to 10... I could no longer watch YouTube.com video's, nor could I watch Myspace.com video's etc. Because every time I would try, I would get a message error stating, that, my Java Script was either turn off, or, I needed to update to the latest Flash Player... Yadda! yadda! yadda!!

And, well. Needless to say... after having dedicated most of my weekend to solving this issue... Here is what fixed it, for me anyway!! LOL

NOTE!! I too read everywhere online, that, I needed enable a couple of settings within my Internet Explorer / Internet Options / Security. THIS DID NOTHING!!

If you are running Windows Vista, and you update to Flash Player 10??? You need to download, unzip, open, and run THIS Debugger exe file from the Flash Player website.

http://download.macromedia.com/...

Website where this info came from .........

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-66707-how-do-i-download-flash-player-10-on-vista .....

PLEASE SIGN THIS BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH THE ABOVE INFORMATION ......

I Dave Houndriver do not hold Mike S libel for any damage to my hardware ..... software or sanity should I attempt to try the above fix for my problem ...... I will instead take 8 beers (of your choice) and Call I am Bob in the morning .....

Signed a sadder but wiser Dave Houndriver ........................................................................ :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike!

I didn't crack it open but it's probably a script that does the same as what I showed a few posts back. If you aren't playing as an administrator, you aren't going to update Flash on a Vista machine so... I should take a look and see if it does a permanent write to the file or if you have to run this again every time you want to upgrade Flash.

By the way, would you like a copy of the new Linux Bible? :mocking:

• Like 1