Interesting Question From A Girl...

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I've lived here (Texas, USA) for too long already.... I'm ready to move on. It makes perfect sense to me.... And anyway - my kids are grown they will be fine without me.

And so begin the cultural differences. :tiphat:

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Filipinas are known for the trait of jelousy.

Got to disagree with this ..... as in all things Filipina it depends on the Filipina ..... not all are jealous ..... my asawa doesn't have a jealous bone in her body .... sometimes age makes a difference .... also consider that many many Filipinos have extra martial affairs and their asawas know about them ..... and just look the other way .... but if you do happen to get one she can be hell on wheels ...... and just so we don't pick on Filipinas I had an ex-wife from the US that was the most jealous person I have ever known ..... I couldn't even go to the 7-11 for 5 minutes with out being accused of finding someone and going to bed with her ..... it eventually ruined our marriage ..... so they come from both sides of the pond

• Like 4

sjp52
Posted
Posted
I think it is inconceivable to her how any of us can leave everything behind and move overseas

Good point. Although many of them go overseas to work and live for many years the Philippines is always "home". Have you ever been on an international flight when it lands here and they all start clapping and cheering? Many of us don't share that sentiment with our "home" countries.

I always thought they were happy to finish the flight alive. I have seen this on lots of flights

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Have you ever been on an international flight when it lands here and they all start clapping and cheering?

We also clap and cheer everytime the aircraft lands at the Honolulu International Airport. That includes the visitors on board. Everyone is happy to be in Hawaii.

After graduating college in the United States, my father gave my wife and I, as a wedding present, a Trans-Pacific ticket on the USS Cleveland. The purser told us that the Filipino migrant workers, who left the Philippines in the youth to work in the Hawaii sugarcane/pineapple plantations or farms in California ,would stay up all night anticipating their arrival home. They were mostly old men going home to retire. Everyone eagerly waited to see landfall. There was no cheering or a sense of excitement. The only sound you heard was their crying. On average, they had been away for 40 years to work as manual laborers to support families back home. It was very moving.

• Like 2

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

How well do you know the 'friend' who introduced you?

My initial thoughts about her question were a mix of very cute but also very smart. The latter could be taken good or bad.

You're moving there anyway?, no harm in pursuing. Just try and avoid getting too emotionally involved during the online process (although I do fear it's already too late). Proceed with caution and no need to write her off just yet.

Edited by Ruddy_Rooster
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Brad616
Posted
Posted

My 2 centavos. If this relationship blossoms, be prepared for possesiveness issues. Filipinas are known for the trait of jelousy. (even where this is no cause, trust me I know :hystery: ).

Oh yea , Ditto on that one

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
I remember a while back a fellow member who had already been to the Philippines and spent time with the girl he though he was going be with and marry. After he returned to his home country the girl informed him that her mother would not allow her to be with him or marry him unless a large sum of money was paid to the family.

Yes that was a post made under DOWRY by Curly,

here is the link and part of his opening post

http://www.philippin...ic/12483-dowry/

Has anyone else been hit for a Dowry demand in the Philippines?

Briefly, a well brought up Catholic girl, educated, never had a boyfriend before, I met the parents 3 times, got on well, they were all in favour, allowed her to come on holiday with me for 3 weeks,

planning to move to Philippines in May/June and to get married soon after.

She has been a little "down" the last couple of weeks, yesterday it all came out.... her parents (read Mother) are demanding 500,000 " present" before the wedding and no more staying together till after the wedding

Edited by Call me Bubba

dean01
Posted
Posted

Well she may have some abandonment issues. Her father left and lives with his mistress - and he does not have any contact with them Her mom died, and she has had to rely on her older sister for a home.

I think it is inconceivable to her how any of us can leave everything behind and move overseas.

Well you may need to learn tact , to her original question I would have said I was leaving my life there to me be with her. Good luck finding the right girl when you think they are trying to all scam you.

• Like 1

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I agree with your response to her 100%, and don't think you need to work on your relationship skills regarding that. I also agree with some of the guys who feel it's a bit much for her to be asking such a question so early. If she asked it in a flirty, joking, kind of manner, I'd have no problem with it. If she was dead serious, then I think she lacks in the maturity department a little bit.

• 4 weeks later...
piglett
Posted
Posted

My 2 centavos. If this relationship blossoms, be prepared for possesiveness issues. Filipinas are known for the trait of jelousy. (even where this is no cause, trust me I know :hystery: ).

good god you have that rite !!!