The 13A Visa Requirement (Wife's Letter)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I am sure we all know, the need of a notarized letter of request from our wife, probably the most important requirement, each and every time we renew our 13a. 1 year probation completed, new letter for application to upgrade to a 5 year 13a. renewal after 5 years new letter. I was at my Attorney's this morning drafting the letter with my wife.Our Attorney asked me a Question I had never, ever given a thought to. I don't suppose many or any of us have. She asked, What will happen should, God Forbid. Azon die before you? So fellow members! what will happen to 13a visa holders, if in the sad event we can no longer obtain this letter from our wife. No notarized letter of request. NO 13a. How could we claim our homes and children, if we have no Residency Visa? Sad to even think about this BUT I think it is something we should all consider at some time. :unsure:

jack P :tiphat:

• Like 3

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Not sure how this would work out but.... How about a Power of Attorney document? If you are the executor then you could write the letter and sign it in her name.

Just a thought, I do not know how the Philippine legal system would look at that.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

I hope this will clarify some misconceptions. Once the 13A is permanant, it never has to be renewed. The only renewal is the ACR-I card every 5 years for the peso equivilant of $50 and of course that famous "Express Lane Fee" and maybe the ECC. The wife's letters are only required during the initial application of the 13A probationary and the upgrade to permanant onlyand after that, no longer necessary. As for losing the 13A upon your spouses death, I have heard conflicting stories on this but there is a good chance that your 13A will be invalid upon their death. You may wish to contact the BI in either Intramuros, Manila or the one in Mandaue, Cebu to verify this. I recommend you make this call in private for this call can make your Filipina wife flip out from misunderstanding our inquiry.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I wonder if this is a reason for all the dirty old men and little girl / wife syndrome? Playing the odds on who goes first?

To be honest, even though I am much much older than my "Special Someone", the thought never crossed my mind - for us, it is just a matter of the heart! Should this happen though, I think in my situation, I would be back to playing the tourist visa game.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
I have heard conflicting stories on this but there is a good chance that your 13A will be invalid upon their death.

I have waited til now to post. My queston is,, If she has passed away(and your married) ,IF the children you have,,

Are NOW adopted by you the 13A holder.or a product of the marriage

, Would you be able to still stay under this "visa"?

or would you have to apply for a "humanitarian" process (relief)? does that even exsist here in the RP?

does any one have an ideal?

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I have heard conflicting stories on this but there is a good chance that your 13A will be invalid upon their death.

I have waited til now to post. My question is,, If she has passed away(and your married) ,IF the children you have,,

Are NOW adopted by you the 13A holder.or a product of the marriage

, Would you be able to still stay under this "visa"?

or would you have to apply for a "humanitarian" process (relief)? does that even exist here in the RP?

does any one have an ideal?

I really think that is what my attorney was getting at. What happens to our daughter, if the 13a. is null and void. As I originally said when I stated the topic, it is something, I don't think any of us even considered. Your comments Steve are well noted but i do feel this needs some exploring. Paul! do you have any thoughts on this. Mr Whiteway that is

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

I remember following every link on the government sites regarding 13a visas quite a while back. I can't find the one I saw but - and I am going by memory here - if you are on a 13a visa, are widowed and have children, then you can remain on the 13a visa with your child as your sponsor in lieu of your wife. If you do not have children, you may be looking at moving to another visa category (forget which one they suggested) but this would be done in certain situations under a humanitarian process. There were many prerequisites for each way they turned but there was pretty well always an answer in regards to being able to stay.

Edit: Checked my notes and I have to say I was wrong in a way... Once you have your permanent visa, you remain with a 13a. If you are still on a temporary visa, it will be changed to a different catagory. If children (from your deceased spouse) are involved, it will be done under a humanitarian procedure. I didn't write down which one they change you to.

Edited by i am bob
  • Like 5

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Just curious but if you no longer need your asawa to sign for anything on your 13a why would you even need to notify them about your change of status ...... unless you p*ss someone off I doubt they would ever know ..... there aren't any options as far as visas go that wouldn't cost you an arm and leg to stay here ...... not saying I would do it or recommend doing it ..... guess it could be considered as letting your visa expire and not renewing .... not that anyone we know would EVER do something like that .... :hystery: :hystery:

• 2 weeks later...
shiredevon
Posted
Posted

With regards to your house i believe the only way a foreigner can own property is by inheritance so it would be prudent to get your wife to make a will with you as sole beneficiary, you never know who could come out of the woodwork and try to claim some or all ownership?.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

With regards to your house i believe the only way a foreigner can own property is by inheritance so it would be prudent to get your wife to make a will with you as sole beneficiary, you never know who could come out of the woodwork and try to claim some or all ownership?.

Even inheritance, it applies to natural born citizens only. The govt in some areas will give you a quote "Reasonable" time to dispose of the property to a Filipino Citizen. Other areas won't even recognize you at all and your wife's immediate family will inherit the property and throw your a$$ out. If they do, you have no recorse for the constitution says you have no rights.
  • Like 2