Experience With Imported Australian Tv & Getting Cable Installed

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

AUS is now DVB-T .(was PAL- _) RP is NTSC. thats part of your problem UNLESS. Your TV is a Multi-system unit,

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Perhaps you should further investigate their claim by having your brand new Sony TV checked out at your neighbor's set up.

YES do this .by doing this your sure its either the TV or Cable.

When I was living in Germany my friends in the US told me they watch a lot of things online for free, but when I tried in Germany it was usually blocked "Only available in the US".

the US providers of the content blocks most non-north american countries from Viewing their "free content" try a US IP. address, see next quote below

There is a lot of free tv online these days, especially news channels like CNN, ABC offer free streams or you can use places like Freeetv.com
You can buy a surge protector at any hardware store.

one of the best "brands" sold here is called BELKINS get that . it should be most helpful.

#2 make sure you have ALL other "electronic" gear protected by using the Surge protector

.not on the same unit but seperate ,,, your investment of under 1500p will be recoup many many times.

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

AUS is DVB-T . RP is NTSC. thats part of your problem UNLESS. Your TV is a Multi-system unit,

This sounds right. I was thinking PAL but same problem. Check in your tuning menu to see if there is a mode setting for NTSC / PAL. If not, you will need a box that has either video, S-video, component outputs to hookup the set directly.
  • Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Protective devices such as surge protectors need that ground to pass any electrical spikes/surge immediately to earth ground.

So, if the outlets are not grounded the surge protector plugged into them is offering no protection?

Jake
Posted
Posted
Protective devices such as surge protectors need that ground to pass any electrical spikes/surge immediately to earth ground.

So, if the outlets are not grounded the surge protector plugged into them is offering no protection?

Unfortunately using a surge protector plugged into an ungrounded outlet defeats it purpose. The voltage

spike/surge has nowhere to go except back into your delicate electronic devices. Most power supplies in

laptops, computer towers, audio and visual components have built-in protections. But they will premature

fail if they are stressed repeatedly. During lightning storms, I would physically unplug all my electronic

devices. Read this link: http://electronics.h...-protector1.htm

Also be aware about the non presence of the UL rating, such as cheap electrical extension cords, power

strips and power surge protectors. They are potential fire hazards.

Respectfully -- Jake

i am bob
Posted
Posted

A cheap surge protector will just have a circuit breaker that won't pop fast enough to save your gear. A good surge protector still has that cct bkr but will also filter any spikes to grouund. No ground and you won't be laughing if lightening strikes!

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

If your tv is not NTSC capable, you are pretty well out of luck unless you can find a converter for the signal. I think that, since you can get some channels to work, then it is. You just need to set it for NTSC.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Unfortunately using a surge protector plugged into an ungrounded outlet defeats it purpose. The voltage spike/surge has nowhere to go except back into your delicate electronic devices. Most power supplies in laptops, computer towers, audio and visual components have built-in protections.

My concern is the TV. I think my surge protector is good but w/o a grounded outlet it's useless unless I modify the outlet? Not gonna happen in a rented house. Guess I'll start unplugging.

johnb
Posted
Posted

You might also consider a signal booster for the cable connection, I live near Cebu city because of our business we have 5 Tvs and 5 scrammbler boxes, as eachTV was added to our system the picture quality reduced our cable provider [sky cable] fitted an in line signal booster to our system this fixed the problem and they didnt charge for the booster or the labour.

J

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Steve and Bubba are on track.

Where I live, there is a very bright Cable guy. When an acquaintance brought a TV from Australia and found it did not work here, he was lucky to find this bright Cable guy, who simply installed some kind of converter box between the signal and the TV and . . TV works

Unfortunately, from the opening post, it sounds like the Cable guys who worked on the openers TV have fvcked it up.

• Like 1