Experience With Imported Australian Tv & Getting Cable Installed

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

it seems like I need to contact the cable people and get some action on their part...

The other one is now in the city, we texted him to return the manual so I can see if it is NTSC capable, I was also aware this would be one of the issues but there is no setting on the remote that I could find to change it. Will check the manual, maybe even look online for the manual later.....

Should I get an electrician to come and install a lightning/surge/grounding system or should I just buy a good surge protector and hope for the best?

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

I found my TV specs online : http://www.sony.com.au/product/kdl-32BX320?cid=BR|TV|Bravia

it is NTSC capable:

Colour System NTSC 3.58, NTSC 4.43 (AV only), PAL, SECAM

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

For others with ungrounded outlets.

Belkin (top brand) Surge protector have models from P 1.500 - 3.000. These have warning lights for ungrounded outlets.

Some electricians might add a third green earth cable, but if its not connected to the ground, it's useless. Minimum buried depth of the pole should be 1.8 meter / 6 feet, and 'copper clad'. Use a minimum of 4mm2 copper cable.

I use a 'Belgin Gold' and found most outlets in Cebu are not grounded, so a surge protector will not help in these cases.

I rather buy a quality Surge protector, and get my electricity grounded, than have to buy a new TV and computer. :thumbsup:

post-1686-0-15945500-1344439370_thumb.jp

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I rather buy a quality Surge protector, and get my electricity grounded, than have to buy a new TV and computer.

Is there an inexpensive, safe way to do that? I'm living in a rented house, I'm not going to ground all the outlets and I doubt the owner (who wants to sell) will do it.

Also, sometimes I get a shock when I unplug an appliance like a fan and accidentally touch the metal plug of the appliance even though it's not plugged in. This isn't a little tingle. There is no source, it's discharging through me. Is it because of the ungrounded outlet?

Jake
Posted
Posted
I rather buy a quality Surge protector, and get my electricity grounded, than have to buy a new TV and computer.

Is there an inexpensive, safe way to do that? I'm living in a rented house, I'm not going to ground all the outlets and I doubt the owner (who wants to sell) will do it.

Also, sometimes I get a shock when I unplug an appliance like a fan and accidentally touch the metal plug of the appliance even though it's not plugged in. This isn't a little tingle. There is no source, it's discharging through me. Is it because of the ungrounded outlet?

CebuAndy made a good point about buying a good quality surge protector anyway. They're less expensive to

replaced rather than a burnt out computer or TV. Even though the home or apartment is NOT grounded at each

outlet, it would be major rework of structural walls and ceilings to install grounding for each outlet. Forget about

it. However, the surge protector do provide some protection with small fuses mounted internally for each outlet

on the power strip. Addtionally, the response of fast acting MOV's filter out further damage. See this link below:

http://electronics.h...-protector1.htm

I'm concern MikeB about your minor electrical shock when you touch your appliances. I'm at a loss to explain

how you still get shocked when they're unplugged.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Mike, do you have carpet or something that is creating static?

I have heard of some people who produce an electrical charge on their own but it is quite rare...

:mocking:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
sometimes I get a shock when I unplug an appliance like a fan and accidentally touch the metal plug of the appliance even though it's not plugged in

I am having trouble understanding this statement but I can tell you that I have had many shocking problems in Philippines. The worst ones involve light switches in the CR that are almost always wet and sometimes put out a good shock when turning the light on or off. Or the metal sheaths to the water hoses on the electric water heater in some showers. Great idea that, plug a water heater into 220, put it in the shower, and use metal sheaths for the water hoses.

But the kind of shock you mention, I only get that when the appliance has a capacitor in it..

MikeB
Posted
Posted
sometimes I get a shock when I unplug an appliance like a fan and accidentally touch the metal plug of the appliance even though it's not plugged in

But the kind of shock you mention, I only get that when the appliance has a capacitor in it..

It's a fan. It could be a stored capacitor discharging, I can't think of another explanation. I'm careful not to touch the ends anymore.

• Like 1

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted (edited)

No inexpensive SAFE way when it comes to electricity and our life. I know some people 'do it yourself' copper wire out the window down to short ground pole but this it's not recommended! YouTube have videos of how to do these things, if you dare to do it.

Ask a electrician for a estimate. I prefer to use a electrician working in a larger shop who sell water heater/AC. These guys seems to have more experience and knowledge, than a friend 'recommended' by family.

Else: anti-static mat, anti-static wristband http://images.search...anti static mat

See some tips in these links.

http://www.wikihow.c...tic-Electricity

http://www.wikihow.c...tatic-Discharge

http://www.ehow.com/...ic-sockets.html

Mike: do a search on 'how to remove static electricity' and go from there.

Edited by CebuAndy
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Andy, this is not static electricity there are no rugs and it's a solid jolt definitely not static. Has to be a capacitor discharge, as Dave mentioned. The copper wire down to a short ground pole is exactly what we have on the electric water heater in the shower. I appreciate the advice but making expensive renovations on a rented house or apt is not going to happen. I'm sure the owner wouldn't mind though.