Experience With Imported Australian Tv & Getting Cable Installed

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Let me rephrase this - it sounds like you have one hot lead only connected and somehow you are still getting your fan to work. And if the hot lead is on the side of the circuit opposite the switch, your fan may carry a charge through the electronics on board. Why does it still work? Maybe it's a partial circuit (bad solder joint, corrosion, etc) that will allow your fan to work when turned on but holds that residual charge when shut off? I can't say unless I was there with a meter and a known good ground.

Do you get this on when using the fan on any socket or just that one? If it's just that socket, I would pull the socket out and look to make sure it's got all the wires connected nice and tight and they aren't touching the box! If it's just the fan? I'd do like Jake said and give it the sniff test - if it smells burnt or singed, you might see what is wrong if you take the cover off... If not, maybe you should look for another fan?

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

:unsure: An Older Electrician in my forces days once told me. ' We know How it works, We should know when it works BUT! Know one seems to know, Why it works.' :)

Friday's food for thought maybe! :tiphat:i

Jack, didn't he tell you about the Theory of Holes? hehe!!!

Hmmm.... I guess he wouldn't as the theory didn't work in England... At least not until you Brits stop believing that Electric Current flows from positive to negative... ! Yup! Just gotta rely on us guys from the Colonies to keep you going straight, eh?

:mocking:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

:unsure: An Older Electrician in my forces days once told me. ' We know How it works, We should know when it works BUT! Know one seems to know, Why it works.' :)

Friday's food for thought maybe! :tiphat:i

Hmmm.... I guess he wouldn't as the theory didn't work in England... At least not until you Brits stop believing that Electric Current flows from positive to negative... ! Yup! Just gotta rely on us guys from the Colonies to keep you going straight, eh?

On my god, you guys bring back so much memories about studying the behavior of an electron.

I failed transistor theory because my questions were somewhat beyond the scope of the lecture.

I continued to ask why and how. Next time the senior instructor placed a patch over my forehead

which said I BELIEVE. As to the how and why -- he simply said FM......he, he.

RF theory dealing with high powered radar was even more a strange phenomenon. It's still all

F*cking Magic to me.

A lost electron -- Jake

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:unsure: :unsure: OK so tell me!!! :morning1: I have an hour or two before I do the washing up :dance:

:tiphat:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I'd rather tell you about Inertial Navigation - it's much more fun!

Did you know that aircraft that are fitted with Inertial Navigation Systems know where they are because the Inertial Nav does not know where it is? It knows where it was and it knows where it's going but it just doesn't have a clue where it is! And if you wait 5 minutes? It still doesn't know where it is! But it knows where it's going and it knows where it was so it just keeps on going. But it will never know where it is! Wanna go on a nice long flight now and I'll explain Electron Theory to you there. I used to teach this (and Inertial Nav too) so if you have any questions after, ask Jake...!

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey guys,

The most recent posts are shying away from the OP. I know, it's my bad too! Perhaps we should

start another thread dealing with general troubleshooting (electrical/mechanical) and any funny

anecdote that you experienced in a work related environment.

See ya on the flip side -- Jake