Family Members As Employees

Robin Hood
Posted
Posted

I live here not because Im a fugitive but because of financial reasons and my answer was one that wasnt glossed over and straight to the point. This guy from Houston is in the same predicament I was in and I speak from my own experience. There are those who have nothing but praise for the Philippines and I do not criticise their comment.

Employing family even in the west I would not recommend. Family are always trouble. All this excuse about it being a third world country and being poor is no excuse. I employed more than 30 Filipino staff here in a business over 2 years I had and 95% were unreliable, didnt like taking orders from a foreigner, stole when ever they could, etc.

The Houston guy's wife says he should tell the maid what to do, Yeah, that's just what you dont do. His wife is a Filipina and she needs to give the maid orders not the foreigner. You see Filipinos have a chip on their shoulder and what they hate the most is foreigners to tell them what to do. By the fact that his wife made that statement , my alarm bells were ringing. She should know that. Also what relevance has driving in Latin America have to driving here. We all know that Latinos dont follow rules, like road rules. Nothing can prepare any driver no matter how good they are to driving in a land without road rules. Your two eyes are not enough you need 10 of them to enable 360 degree vision. Theres only one road rule that sticks here and that is - foreigner is in the wrong because if you weren't here it wouldn't have happened. That's the mentality you got to humble yourself under to survive. Now you think if you have a Filipino driver regardless of who is in the wrong, more importantly it's going to come to - WHO IS GOING TO PAY FOR THE DAMAGE ? . The Pinoy will just cry poor, and what are you going to do, take him to court? If you were legally in the right you would win the case in court, at great cost, the Pinoy would be ordered to pay and you will get 100 Piso a month for the next 20 years of which you will have to chase them up for every month. This is Disneyland.

Robin Hood
Posted
Posted

Just to back up my statement. I rented a car from Avis here. I had it fully insured. I did a tour of northern Philippines in it and in Pampanga a trike ran into the back of me. Wasnt my fault. After 2 hours of deliberation at the police station, the police tried to tell me to forget it and dont take it any further because the trike driver was poor and so on. I am a very fair man and I thought well who cares Im insured anyway, the insurance will pay for it. When I returned the car to Avis they tell me that the insurance only pays for damage over 20, 000. The damage done required a new bumper which amounted to 18,000. So quess what I still had to pay the 18,000 EVEN THOUGH I WAS NOT IN THE WRONG. Hows that for fairness.

Now mr Jack when you talk about your pretty motor bike having a scratch on it and being courteous to the Pinoy and the Pinoy even paying for it at a sum of probably 500 peso, how is that a responsible warning to others.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Just to back up my statement. I rented a car from Avis here. I had it fully insured. I did a tour of northern Philippines in it and in Pampanga a trike ran into the back of me. Wasn't my fault. After 2 hours of deliberation at the police station, the police tried to tell me to forget it and don't take it any further because the trike driver was poor and so on. I am a very fair man and I thought well who cares I'm insured anyway, the insurance will pay for it. When I returned the car to Avis they tell me that the insurance only pays for damage over 20, 000. The damage done required a new bumper which amounted to 18,000. So guess what I still had to pay the 18,000 EVEN THOUGH I WAS NOT IN THE WRONG. Hows that for fairness.

Now mr Jack when you talk about your pretty motor bike having a scratch on it and being courteous to the Pinoy and the Pinoy even paying for it at a sum of probably 500 peso, how is that a responsible warning to others.

I don't give warnings, I point out that a little courtesy goes a long way and if you had read the rental agreement properly you may have been a little wiser and maybe a little more responsible next time. neither do I bow to smart Alec's. i think you are just being belgerant for the sake of it, try looking for some good here,

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately Jack as you know there are those that although stuck here hate it here and that is one of the main reasons I don't associate with a lot of ex-pats ..... when they get together all they want to do is complain about what is wrong with the Phils and how much happier they were back home .... but for a lot of them they can't go back for one reason or another and so are just plain stuck here ..... and although I have only lived here full-time for close to 5 years I hope I never find myself facing that problem ..... now I would be the last to admit that there is nothing wrong here because there certainty is .... but so are there a lot of things back in the US that suck big-time .... and the longer I'm here the more I understand ... or in some cases tolerate the things that I feel need changing ..... but that is just changes according to me ..... the Filipinos have been living here for 1000's of years under these conditions and it is after all THEIR country ..... so I just grin and bare it and try to understand and learn from my mistakes just like I would any where else in this world that I would live in ...... IMHO

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:unsure: I quite understand what you say Mike, It just gets my goat, that these types keep blaming every one else, for their misfortune. especially when they try and blame the people here, if they had done more to integrate maybe they would get more help. obviously these sad people have no wife, no family to talk of. There will come a time, when even other expats, will not listen to them. remember the nursery story "Peter and the Wolf" ?

:no: We all have a bad time some time, I just don't think a forum like this is the Place to be airing strong Views aimed at attacking the Filipino, it was not OUR Wives and families fault they( the foreigner) have fallen on Stony ground. tell the storey by all means but lets keep in all in perspective. we are non of us perfect. we must all, accept our own mistakes if we learn from them all well and good, if not just don't keep Blaming others, we have all been here long enough to know thwe score, we just have to live with it.

For these people

a little quote.

:tiphat:

post-2148-0-33996700-1343381194_thumb.jp

• Like 3

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Everyone that is carrying on here about NOT employing family should consider themselves on notice. I have only been in Cebu for just over 3 months. My intent was to come here, stay here until my Filipina could travel with me to the USA, go there and live happily ever after with a few trips to the Philippines sprinkled in. WELL, I just LOVE it here and the 400 to 2000 new relatives I have are a pretty good lot for the most part. All the negative nellies can stuff it. In the end we will probably be living here with several business ventures all manned by honest, trustworthy and loyal filipino family members. I'll be starting my second WITH FAMILY undertaking as soon as I get a little more capital.

One thought directed at the original post is that IF I had my own car here I would likely have a driver. I would drive anywhere I wanted... just because I want to and can. When it came time for parking though, "Hey driver park this or drive around in circles until I'm ready to go." :thumbsup: There are places here where you will get a boot on your tire if you park there and leave. Guess what! If there is a driver there is no problem. Just depends on your situation I suppose. I live inside Cebu City, near the capital.

• Like 5

Robin Hood
Posted
Posted

I was only giving the gentleman from Houston my opinion. I don't care what any of you others think about my opinion. Everyone's situation is different therefore opinions will vary. What makes a good forum is the variety of opinions not immature people attacking another's opinion if it doesn't agree with their own. I suppose the next thing will be to get me censured or banned. Now that's real democracy is it?.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I was only giving the gentleman from Houston my opinion. I don't care what any of you others think about my opinion. Everyone's situation is different therefore opinions will vary. What makes a good forum is the variety of opinions not immature people attacking another's opinion if it doesn't agree with their own. I suppose the next thing will be to get me censured or banned. Now that's real democracy is it?.

You hit the nail on the head, its all about opinion so please don't bring in other stuff about getting banned as its Friday night here and not a good time. Take what is said with a grain of salt, we all differ in opinions and ideas and a forum is for debating it.

:thumbsup:

• Like 4

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
Everyone's situation is different therefore opinions will vary. What makes a good forum is the variety of opinions not immature people attacking another's opinion if it doesn't agree with their own.

You are correct in saying a good forum is made up of varying opinions, However, I think it was your blanket indictment of all {95% in your latest statement} Filipinos that has ruffeled the feathers of some forum members. I live in the Philippines only a few months a year for now and have operated a small farm for about 4 years. ALL of my employees are family members and I could not be happier. They

have proven to be reliable,trustworthy,appreciative and very loyal.

I doubt that this forum would reject anyone for expressing their opinion, as you can see many have replied to your comments in a respectful way which allows for an ongoing discussion. Again I ask if you think there are any redeeming qualities in the Philippines and is there anything that would change your mind.