Family Members As Employees

GregZ
Posted
Posted
Anyone have thoughts to share on the taxi, car rental busines (with driver) in Cebu?

Well I know you are using your family as drivers and that might be fine .... BUT ....

Just be careful in ANY business venture that you don't run or control yourself ........ and then keep an eye on yourself .... :hystery: :hystery:

I felt like a thread hi-jacker so please find response to Mike and more in the better for BUSINESS discussion at http://www.philippines-expats.com/index.php/topic/13425-family-members-as-employees-in-business/ This thread should go on more please about Family Members as Employees referring to household... Please join us at the new thread Family Members as Employees in BUSINESS for more updates on how things are going and to TELL me how to DO IT better. Because I just love being told what to do ... AND how to do it. :bash:

I really like learning something every day so come and tell me something new. :thumbsup:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
My standard of cleanliness matches all the Filipinas I have met. I have had 2 housemaids in the past and have not had an issue with their standard. If you wife is not happy tell her she has to have words with the housemaid. Paying relatives to work is an excellent idea. Instead of handouts, any relatives who want money, can work for it. If they don't want to work, then don't pay them.

My impression is also that most Filipinas are very clean. Sometimes their circumstances make it difficult to keep a place spotless to western standards, but they make the best with what they have. My girlfriend is meticulous and I have to get her to relax about cleaning sometimes! :no:

I like the idea of hiring relatives for short term jobs but even then, the expectations have to be made very clear from the beginning. I think the long term commitment is where there is potential for trouble.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
My impression is also that most Filipinas are very clean

I agree OMW ..... that just have a bit of a problem with what to do with trash .... out the door ... in the creek .... on the sidewalk ..... in the street etc. ......... :mocking:

• 2 weeks later...
luke
Posted
Posted

It takes a while to find trustworthy househelp. My previous GF wasn't much interested in employing family as driver or maid. We had a good number of them employed during a period of 8 years. Some where distant relative some where refered by her brother or sister (small family yes). All came from the province.

One got pregnant of the next door driver (heard that before right?). Some had long fingers (small money disappeared). A few changed attidute as soon as they became familiar with the big city.

In the end we found a good driver who also did some work around the house (not stay in) and a trustworthy housekeeper (stay in). The driver in the meantime I let go since I don't have a car anymore. The housekeeper still works for me (6 years now). The degree of cleanliness is a mixed bag. They tend to clean only what they see, but I have been here longtime and let go of the western standard or I pickup "trapo" and clean the those hidden parts myself if I feel the need to do so.

With trustworthy I mean I can leave the house for 2-4 weeks in her care and everything would be the same when I come back.

In the meantime I have a new (much younger) GF who wanted to employ her direct relatives (mother, brother) in the house. I refused rightout not to employ or take in any relatives beside her younger sister who just graduated now. I explained to her that we have no control over them if they don't do what is expected. For the few times they visited, all they do is eat, watch TV and finish the beer. Do you (my GF) think it will change when they move in permanently?

• Like 1