Cost Of Living Comparables

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

Found this great website for comparing cost of living all over the world. I was not able to search my precise location either

in the Philippines or the States, so I simply picked nearby large towns or cities. I don't know how accurate it is, but would

sure like to hear feedback if others care to try it.

• Like 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

Found this great website for comparing cost of living all over the world. I was not able to search my precise location either

in the Philippines or the States, so I simply picked nearby large towns or cities. I don't know how accurate it is, but would

Sorry forgot to include url. http://www.expatistan.com/

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Sorry forgot to include url. http://www.expatistan.com/

:blonde: :mocking: ??????? We all have those days :unsure:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I gave it a try comparing Cebu and Toronto (I am close enogh that I can see it across the lake) and had a few chuckles... if the prices given for Cebu are as far off as they are for Toronto... :)

Either way I will be a winner once I do the move!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Interesting. It could become more valid as time goes by, if people put in data. When they have more data, they should throw out the outliers. I put in Davao and it says the hourly rate for cleaning help is p200 ($4.76). I think the cleaning lady must be doing something extra for that much! :hystery:

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Perhaps the cleaning ladies were family members? :)

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

I compared to Savannah, Georgia, USA. I left that area 4 months ago. The comparisons look pretty good, but the things in the US you can find on discount more often than Cebu City and they are using the non-discount price for comparison. That means your savings here appear more than they really are if you discount shop.

Two items in Cebu that the prices were very... ummmmmm questionable on: taxi and apples. Not that they are wrong, but the taxi rate looks like the airport taxi (yellow) not the regular city taxi (white). Their 320 peso ride would only cost me 110 peso. Apples to apples comparison here. They are not specific; it shows apples = 148/kilo (2.2 pounds actually) which may be accurate for delicious or brand name fuji, but I buy asian fuji at 90/kilo if I remember right. You see, even comparing apples to apples is not a comparison of 2 like items.

And one more.... expat haircut price??? Why label it like that. They say 200 peso for a haircut. I guess that is a mall price??? I can get a haircut for 40 peso. Normally I just use the scissors on MYSELF and it is free! :mocking:

Even with those exceptions - Overall 2 thumbs WAY UP for that site!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

And one more.... expat haircut price??? Why label it like that. They say 200 peso for a haircut. I guess that is a mall price??? I can get a haircut for 40 peso. Normally I just use the scissors on MYSELF and it is free! :mocking:

I use "The Blade" here in Bacolod. It's P90 and I give P20-P30 for a tip and he throws in a free 5 min head, neck & back massage. He treats me well. Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
And one more.... expat haircut price??? Why label it like that. They say 200 peso for a haircut. I guess that is a mall price??? I can get a haircut for 40 peso. Normally I just use the scissors on MYSELF and it is free!

Hummmmmm ... see what happens Bruce ..... we tried to tell you not to over tip your barber ..... now they all want it ..... sorry Bruce couldn't resist (if you happen to read this ... :hystery: )

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I was looking into the background of that site and found out that the majority of people who input the prices are actually tourists. That means usually the shopping is done in areas that are higher priced to start with. So as long as you always take it with a grain of salt... let's see... salt was how much again?

:mocking:

• Like 1