Cost Of Living Comparables

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

I was looking into the background of that site and found out that the majority of people who input the prices are actually tourists. That means usually the shopping is done in areas that are higher priced to start with. So as long as you always take it with a grain of salt... let's see... salt was how much again?

:mocking:

I think with more input from members and visitors from this site and other expat sites "expatistan" could become a viable tool for those of us who plan to live in the Philippines.

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted

. . . the taxi rate looks like the airport taxi (yellow) not the regular city taxi (white). Their 320 peso ride would only cost me 110 peso. . . .

I verified this moments ago and the 8 km taxi ride is 134.50 pesos. Base rate 40 plus 3.5 for every 300 meters running OR 2 minutes sitting. So your results may vary. :thumbsup: Pretty CHEAP.

• Like 1

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

It says it is 45% less expensive in Davao than in Manila, i think it is a lot less in Davao , the best place for the dollar

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I put in Davao and it says the hourly rate for cleaning help is p200 ($4.76). I think the cleaning lady must be doing something extra for that much!

Cebu says P500. Cebu cleaning ladies go that extra mile. :)

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
stevewool
Posted
Posted

birmingham, england compared to cebu is 69% more expensive, looks like i am on to a winner

brock
Posted
Posted

I really dont know where people get these percentages from, Yes if you want to eat dried fish and rice everday it will be cheaper in the Philippines, And some things are cheaper, Land, houses, rents, beer,fags,Taxis, girls company for the night...You are not going to live a decent lifestye cheap here, unless you go native, If you want any kind of a life here, It is going to cost you money, Most everyday things here are the same if not more than in England, A steak meal for 2 people in Cebu can cost you 3 or 4 times as much as England for the same quality, A pizza can also cost more, A roast chicken 180peso here, 2 for a fiver back in England, And I,m not on about just imported stuff. Prices are not as cheap as everyone makes out, Do any of you guys actually look at the prices of things here when you buy ?...Dont send the wife, YOU go food shopping for yourself.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

its a old topic, so the prices will change from day to day, i am not a big meat fan, fish and chicken is all i eat , love rice but the odd chips are good too, going native well i am not going that way too, but no car, no stupid gas/ elect bills, no eating out everyday, jollybee or mcdonalds,you can live cheaper i am sure, food shopping you have to do we all have to eat, but its eating what is right and not spending on the crap that is wrong, just my thoughts

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

If it were just me, I think I could live for 65-75% of what my budget in USA would be for basic needs.

But add in the girlfriend and the budget goes all to hell!

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

if i own my own place i am covince my bills for food and utilities will be way under my £500 per month, infact i think more like £150 to the £500 each month differant, but i also know that could change

i am bob
Posted
Posted

There is one thing that I always get a chuckle out of in these posts.... And, no, I am not pointing fingers at anyone. When I first started to look at moving to the Philippines, I thought the same way. Until I looked at the prices. And thought about what would happen in reverse... If somebody came to my country and demanded to eat only their native foods, what did I think their costs would be? "Oh my! That Mango looks like crap! And it's more than 10 times what we would pay for it at home!" " I'm sorry Honey, I know you wanted to have a Lechon for you birthday - but to buy a whole pig costs more than my pay check this week!" Would you see these people packing up and going home because they are scared they are going to starve to death? Yeah, sure they are...

Now I have no problems with going to the local market as long as it is foods that I enjoy and it's fresh - fish, chicken, pork, fresh veggies, fresh fruit. There is more to life than pig's intestines, balut and dried fish - unless you really like that sort of thing. And you can always prepare the foods the way you did at home while reducing your costs at the same time. So why not?

• Like 2