Gross Or Weird Food What Have You Eaten Not Knowing.......

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

What have you eaten and regretted later or maybe eaten "something" only later to find it to be not what you thought?

I've knowingly eaten some odd things over the years including Dinuguan, Bitter Melon (Ampalaya) and Dog.

My wife and I were watching Anthony Borden he was eating street food, one item was chicken intestines on a stick. I suddenly realized I had eaten that several times in Philippines over the years its called Iswa the wife was not happy, never again!

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I"m kind of picky about new foods too...

If I don't know what it is, no problem! But if I find out it's something like "chicken intestines" or a pig's face, well... As long as I don't know what it is until I get used to it, I'm ok... After a few tries, then you can tell me!

In many countries I have eaten what is not considered the standard North American diet - horse in Holland, Dog Kabobs in Puerto Rico, dried snake in many places, bear, and so on!

I can't wait to find what I will be eating once I live in the Philippines!!!

:mocking:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Bob, never eaten Pig face but beef tongue and beef cheek tocos are awsome!

I love tocos! (Feel free to jump in here Jake!)

I make a mean beef cheek stroganoff if my wife finds out beef cheek is in it she'll kill me.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well I have been sitting here patiently waiting for Bro Jake to enter into this fray with HIS FAVORITE WEIRD food ....... but alas where has my friend gone ..... I mean anyone who is willing to show his "brownie" to a complete stranger is bound to have some thoughts on some culinary delights ...... comm'on Jake we's waiting ..... :mocking: :nudie:

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

Well I have been sitting here patiently waiting for Bro Jake to enter into this fray with HIS FAVORITE WEIRD food ....... but alas where has my friend gone ..... I mean anyone who is willing to show his "brownie" to a complete stranger is bound to have some thoughts on some culinary delights ...... comm'on Jake we's waiting ..... :mocking: :nudie:

Well, nothing out of the ordinary (for a Filipino anyway). Like Old55, I have eaten aso (dog) before

and had to chase it all down with some beer. I have also tried tripe (stomach lining), pig's feet and

kambing (goat). Of all the unsavory Filipino food, I still find balut the most grotesque.

Wait a minute, Old55 made a reference to one of his cooking recipes -- beef strokemeoff has been

one of my ultimate culinary delights......he, he. Anybody heard about Soup number 5?

Ma tigas ako -- Jake

• Like 4

GregZ
Posted
Posted
I have also tried tripe

Tripe: noun. 1. the first and second divisions of the stomach of a ruminant, especially oxen, sheep, or goats, used as food. Which one you try Jake? Like it? I'm only familiar with tripe from cattle or milk cows. Never did try it though that I know of.

I found balut to be pretty good except throw away the white part.

Some find smoked carp strange; I ate a lot of it as a kid.

Since coming to the Philippines I tried a few internal parts of the pig that I had not before. Now I know why I stayed away... yuck on the pig liver and intestines. I tried them though and more than once.

• Like 4

Ashanti
Posted
Posted
Anybody heard about Soup number 5?

i havent yet heard a filipino male who doesnt like such delicacy :rolleyes: but my question jakey - is the hype true???????????? :36_6_3[1]:

i havent eaten balut nor have any ambitions of trying - just too weird for me though my family loves it. dont eat "ginamos" either unless it is sautéed in garlic, onions with lots of tomatoes. nor do i eat "kilawin" made of fish or anything uncooked.

But has anyone tried "pigs anus"???????????? :lol:

they are bloody delicious i tell you! you usually get it at the Chinese restaurant and they are usually served in their mixed meat menu though not all the time. you have to specify it. my mum cooked them in soysauce, garlic and onions over low heat until tender.

yummmmmmmmm ............. :lol:

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Ashanti, I agree about the duck egg its gross. Pig anus?! :kidding:

• Like 3

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

Ashanti, I agree about the duck egg its gross. Pig anus?! :kidding:

Nope ............. deadly serious :lol: ............ if you havent tried it - then you havent lived!!! :mocking: the Chinese loves them.........

• Like 4

johnb
Posted
Posted

Regarding pigs arse, I worked in Belize for a while, when i first arrived they had a BBQ in my Honour, it was held in a remote location where the grass was about thigh high amongst some old run down buildings which had been a prison for juvenials, part of my role was to fix the place up to be a drug rehab centre, a plate was handed to me with a pigs tail and the Ahole still attached, it didnt look BBQ'd more like it was just boiled could even see the hairs on the damn thing, luckily with the long grass I managed to slip it off my plate and a stray dog done me the favour of devouring it............

• Like 3