Olympics Coverage In Philippines

retired
Posted
Posted

Only speaking for those of us here in Cagayan de Oro , Northern Mindanao but wondering about your Olympic tv experience in other parts of the Philippines . Woke this am at 4 to catch the opening cermony of the games only to be shown 4 guys sliding bikes around a dirt track . Woopie , i can wait for the next moonsoon , go down the road and see more than 4 guys sliding bikes . :-)

Local cable provider and Star Sports been running promos for a month about Olympic coverage and then doesn't bother to show opening cermony . Brit's did a great job though and the Paul McCartney Hey Jude did top off the evening ( or morning here ) .

Perhaps the best example of Filipino ? came when the Philippine Olympic team entered the stadium . Two people of the 11 the Philippines sent . The other 9 must have been on Philippine time . Pretty pathethic , don't you think ? :-)

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

watching the opening ceremony right now on Solar Sports

retired
Posted
Posted

watching the opening ceremony right now on Solar Sports

Well , enjoy... And , by all means watch for the James Bond - Queen Elizabth gig... funny...

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Where on the web or air broadcast can you see olympic coverage? Wiziwig site says TV 5 and AKTV carry it. I don't have air TV but watch TV 5 here http://www.abscbn-gmatv.com/2012/03/cheap-hotels-tv5.html I'm not familiar with AKTV. Quick search yields nothing.

I would appreciate sharing of any links to schedules and streaming sites... I'm in Cebu City, Philippines. They have it blocked out by country so UNFAMILIAR territory. ALL OTHER SPORTS and MORE I can get to through Wiziwig links. http://forum.wiziwig.eu/forum.php

Markham
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife woke very early and watched the opening ceremony live on Solar Sports where the coverage was almost completely devoid of commercial breaks. Not so for the repeat at noon which they interrupted at frequent intervals with lengthy commercial breaks :angry:. Danny Boyle's production was certainly imaginative and broke with tradition - no massed bands for the National Anthem, for example - although I rather think those who attended the free Hyde Park concert, held at the same time, had better a better deal music-wise. Was it worth the £25 million spent on it? For me, the jury is out. My stepson is one of a small army who had the task of removing all the staging, extra lighting, amplifiers etc., overnight ready for the start of the sports. He'll be back there to re-install it much of it for the closing ceremony.

Unsurprisingly US Presidential candidate Mitt Romney didn't attend, probably just as well given his various gaffes.

Edited by Markham
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Many athletes did not attend the Opening Ceremonies as their individual participation was scheduled quite early and needed the time to prepare and,, especially, rest properly before competing.

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

This will be the Olympics I will remember for not really watching, the opening ceremony was on too late and when i tried to watch it the next day I was bored after a couple of minutes. even worse is the coverage of the sports, BBC only shown still photos, the ATCV or whatever channel it is called & Hyper only shows boxing and basketball and I can't be bothered searching for streams online for events that will probably be completed by the time I find the stream. I will though put some effort into watching a few events like the 100m & some other running races.

So in general the coverage of the Olympics here is weak or pathetic would be a better way to describe it.

Edited by Adventurer

Markham
Posted
Posted

Here's a tip for those who are less than satisfied with the TV offerings. The BBC has opened a further 24 channels each streaming different sports and those channels are available online. BUT you will need a Windows-based PC and a reasonably decent internet connection.

You need to download and install "Expat Shield" which, when enabled in your browser, gives you an IP Address in London. You then go to the BBC iPlayer site and download and install iPlayer. If you're not familiar with this program, you can either watch the program streams "live" or you can record them to your hard disk and play them (via iPlayer) at a later time. Then simply select the stream you want from the BBC Sports site.

Those additional channels will be broadcasting all events from both the main Olympics and the Paralympic Games that follow a couple of weeks later - including the opening and closing ceremonies.

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted
The BBC has opened a further 24 channels each streaming.....

You are my SUPERHERO!!! THANKS :10001:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
The BBC has opened a further 24 channels each streaming.....

You are my SUPERHERO!!! THANKS :10001:

:lol: Well Greg, I am going to try and amuse you a little here, First by doing something only to be done while sober. :cheers: I have read with Interest, your story, on the other topic about employing family. Whatever happens, you certainly have, unlike another topic Today, Got Balls. I wish you well on your Venture. Now, having mixed a little, 2 topics in one (only to be tried as i said, Sober) Lets see if i can get a smile from you. :) on this Topic. With all your meetings and fact finding and looking at these vehicles, Plus, doing all the costings and Route Planning and Employee Strategy, Not forgetting any Fund Raising. Where my friend, Do you find time to watch TV. let alone the Olympics, Given the time difference. My hat certainly goes off to you, :tiphat: and My friend, I hope you can smile at my sense of Humour, it is at times like this, we all need some Humour.

Regards & hope all the Planning pays off Jack P. :tiphat: