Buying A Used Car In The Philippines

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Well... I didn't see this info yet but can we buy a car, register it, get a plate and have a drivers licence if we have a 21 days tourist visa?

Yes, but you may have a hard time doing all that within 21 days. Getting the sticker took about 3 months because they were out, I've heard that's not uncommon. The DL conversion can be done in a few hours.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

We used a car dealership to process the paper work when we bought our Kia Sportage (used and not from them) ..... only cost us p300 for them to do it plus the LTO costs ..... had the tag ... CR & OR .... insurance and title transfer ....... all back in 2 weeks (we had to do the emission test ourselves ... they did the stenciling for p50) ...... I'm not sure that all car dealership will do this for you or not but Kia did it for us ...... funny thing was she told us that they have a runner from the LTO pick up all the paperwork at the various car dealerships and then deliver it when it is complete ...... can't beat that ....... :hystery: :cheersty:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Thomas
Posted
Posted

How to check if a car is security for a loan?

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

From the current insurance co.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

From the current insurance co.

Do you mean the loan giver notify it at the TRAFIC insurance company?

Because if it isn't something obligatoric, then seller can lie and say they don't have any  :)  and then I can't see if there are loan.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

If one buys a used car on a different island than the island they live on, is it a hassle to register the vehicle on the island one lives on? I'm thinking I might like to have a Mitsubishi Delica van 4X4 but they don't seem to be very common and I think I may have to travel to find one.

Another possible is a Toyota Tamaraw with diesel engine, I haven't seen any advertised with 4WD though. Does anyone have one of these and love  / hate it?

Edited by robert k

Thomas
Posted
Posted
If one buys a used car on a different island than the island they live on, is it a hassle to register the vehicle on the island one lives on? I'm thinking I might like to have a Mitsubishi Delica van 4X4 but they don't seem to be very common and I think I may have to travel to find one.

I don't know, but someone wrote somewhere it is (from some island, because cars are often stolen there, but I don't remember which :)

Another possible is a Toyota Tamaraw with diesel engine, I haven't seen any advertised with 4WD though. Does anyone have one of these and love  / hate it?

Look up because many have been used as taxis.

So I suppouse they are good basicly, because so many use them as taxis  :)

• 4 months later...
robert k
Posted
Posted

Dredging this thread back to the surface, I have concluded that if I am buying a used car, it will probably be from the Calabarzon region and it would be easiest to register it there before taking it to another island. The assistance of a used car dealer, even if it cost 1-2 thousand pesos would probably be worth it to me to get it done right and quick and not much different than the documentary fee I am used to paying when buying a car in the US, :tiphat: To Mike S for the dealer suggestion.

I used to make my living as a mechanic and the lengths you would have to go to hiding most defects, it would probably be more trouble than actually repairing whatever is wrong, short of 140 weight gear oil in the crankcase or banana peals in a noisy differential. I guess if it looked like I was going to run short of money my wife could open an automotive repair shop :thumbsup: . I would want to locate near a lot of expats though because it sounds like there is money to be made if they will pay $400 for a new alternator. Most standard alternators fail because the brushes wear out and they just need cleaning and brush replacement. The commutator surface the brushes ride on can become worn also but they are easy to remove and solder in replacements, rarely does a diode fail but they are replaceable. After a few brush replacements and commutator repairs, you may be ready for new bearings, which are not hard to replace either. An alternator shop might be a good business if the market is not overflowing with used parts as I think it might be.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I would want to locate near a lot of expats though because it sounds like there is money to be made if they will pay $400 for a new alternator. Most standard alternators fail because the brushes wear out and they just need cleaning and brush replacement.

It's not exactly something I do everyday. In fact, besides the alternator, new tires, and regular oil changes I haven't had to put a penny more into it since I bought it 15 months ago. p22K (includes labor and VAT) converts to just over $500, by the way, and it was a bit more over a year ago since the exchange rate has improved quite a bit since. My mechanic tried to rebuild it and, trust me, they don't just waste parts here. He said it needed to be replaced so I took him at his word. I trolled the X Trail tech boards and heard lots of problems with alternators. The consensus from those who seem to know was that if you wanted to correct the problem more or less long term, use a genuine Nissan part so I did. Lots of cheap Chinese junk around here. The bad part wasn't original, it had already been replaced with a crap part so I didn't feel like screwing around with it and I'm glad I didn't. Good luck with your business, you'll probably have lots of work but, according to my mechanic (who owns the business), getting paid is a different matter. Almost all his customers are foreign.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Good luck with your business, you'll probably have lots of work but, according to my mechanic (who owns the business), getting paid is a different matter. Almost all his customers are foreign.
Keep the cars until they pay, and you will perhaps have enough cars soon to start an used car selling business  :mocking:
  • Like 1