Buying A Used Car In The Philippines

robert k
Posted
Posted

I am trying to stay flexible. I'd like a toyota Tamaraw, Toyota liteace van / truck.
If I haven't said it in this thread   -  Look up some extra with Tamaraw, because it's a common taxi. I suppouse they go on driving them, until they are crap.

Thomas, a taci does not scare me, most taxi were made to be repaired. I owned a Checker Motors Cab myself and other than finding some parts for it because it was so old, it was a great car.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I am trying to stay flexible. I'd like a toyota Tamaraw, Toyota liteace van / truck.
If I haven't said it in this thread   -  Look up some extra with Tamaraw, because it's a common taxi. I suppouse they go on driving them, until they are crap.

Thomas, a taci does not scare me, most taxi were made to be repaired. I owned a Checker Motors Cab myself and other than finding some parts for it because it was so old, it was a great car.

Yes, but taxis are driven much more than a car owned by an old lady    :)

• 2 weeks later...
deevey
Posted
Posted

Thomas, a taci does not scare me, most taxi were made to be repaired.

Yep, Taxi's in some other countries were "made" to be repaired and designed to be used  24/7 e.g. the Crown Comfort in Hong Kong, Mercedes, or Ford Taurus. 

Over here they use off the shelf, Low end cars like a Toyota Vios and drive them mostly 24/7 with split shift drivers for 15+ years until theres not much left of the original car apart from the chassis.

If an ex-taxi is on the market thats LESS than 15 years old its probably had major issues ! Public Service Vehicles in the Philippines do not normally get sold if there is even a chance that they are still able to take a passenger from A > B 

1Saltydog
Posted
Posted

Are there Hyundai new car dealers in RP? If so does anyone know if it is cheaper to buy one there or buy

it in the USA and ship it over to the RP?

Thank you

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

They have dealers of just about any car you can think of. Two Hyundai dealers near me, but I live in Manila. IMO you will definitely want to buy a car here. The import taxes will kill you, not counting the shipping cost.

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Are there Hyundai new car dealers in RP? If so does anyone know if it is cheaper to buy one there or buy

Thank you

Yes there are, at SM mall in Cebu, on the basement floor they have a selection of new cars you can look at, various makes and models and talk to the sales staff, I looked at a new Hyundai i10,five door hatch back, nice little car and from memory was around 500,000 pesos and that was with insurance and breakdown service thrown in, you can also buy one on the never-never.

Edited by frosty (chris)

Thomas
Posted
Posted

All cars, which are not MOUNTED in Phils, cost much because of the very high custom fees.   (Except the smuggled ones   :)    Rather many such have managed to get "legal" documents somehow, BUT that's noticed by officials, so a while ago they started checking if second hand cars have entered Phils legaly. If a car isn't, it can cost much for the NEW owner...  :1 (103):

(It's similar crazy with real estates. =Unpaid taxes FOLLOW the property, so that need to be proper checked when buying.)

deevey
Posted
Posted

All cars, which are not MOUNTED in Phils, cost much because of the very high custom fees.   (Except the smuggled ones    :)    Rather many such have managed to get "legal" documents somehow, BUT that's noticed by officials, so a while ago they started checking if second hand cars have entered Phils legaly. If a car isn't, it can cost much for the NEW owner...   :1 (103):

There are quite a few that are available who have gone the legal route, primarily OFW's who have paid all the duties involved and brought their own car back with them. These ones can be legally transferred to a new owner after 3 years in the Philippines.

However, the numberplate will give them away as imported, and even if all the documents are in order you can get flagged down and a lengthly hour long inspection made at the most inconvenient time. 

If you are buying new, buy here. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the great post! I'm sure a lot of people just learned something very important!
I know I did! But then again, I was thinking of buying certified used from a reputable dealership (althogh that can be just as expensive) :photo-109:

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

Sounds so easy, doesn't it? Except you can't just assume ownership; the owners file cases and he counter-files and it takes many months and often years of "he said, she said" and in the end everyone loses. 

That's what I'm afraid of when dealing with "registered owners" or their multiple middlemen and women.