Buying A Used Car In The Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
older cars are usually easier to fix.

If you have some mechanical ability and carry spare parts with you (rad hoses, water pumps, spare tires, belts, etc) then you are good to go.

I always traveled in the mornings when I had my 20 year old ISUZU pick up.  That way, if I broke down it was usually before lunch.  Easy enough to find a willing handyman to fix an old car so long as he can get parts.  When I broke down, which was once or twice a year, it was usually fixable within 6 hours (and most of that time was trying to find replacement parts) so I managed with an old car and no mechanical ability whatsoever.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I like the multicabs.  Cheap and easy to get repaired.  New cars are crazy expensive here, and most used cars have been rode hard and put away wet....

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I myself don't mind a older car, just as long it has a aircon.

I agree, until I am broke down in the hills of Leyte and the night is falling. . . . There is no AAA here.

You have a point, however, older cars are usually easier to fix. (For my first ten years of driving I had most tools needed for fixing my car if it would break down, in the trunk. :) So I got alot of experience fixing my first cars.) Oh well, it's still time until December, who knows, maybe I'm lucky and win a lottery or something. :)

Yes. That's a reason I will probably chose one of the cars with new bodies with old engine and such, because the new ones need expensive computer equipment to find the error and often need to replace big electronic sections to repair, and I suppouse small repair workshops in rural provinces don't have such equipment...   But the NEWEST used engines, which don't have the complicated electronics, start to become to old...  :boohoo:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I like the multicabs.  Cheap and easy to get repaired.  New cars are crazy expensive here, and most used cars have been rode hard and put away wet....

You could split the difference with a brand spanking new multicab 465k piso for a new 1.6L engine Suzuki Carry pickup or 575k piso for a base APG GA van with 60,000 kilometer warrantee. I figure a nice chop chop from a junkyard in Japan, converted from R/H to L/H drive with a 10+ year old 3 cylinder 660cc engine will set you back half that amount with what you see is what you get warrantee. The new models with the wheels outboard are slightly safer also than the cab forward design. :)

I bought an old Toyota truck or I would consider a new Suzuki Carry.