Our Daily Bread

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Ok, i'm just about ready to give up, looks like i should have brought a bread machine with me when i moved here.

I did not bring one because quite a few people said that you can now find western type bread here in the supermarkets, well i'm buggered if i can find it.

I've tried the so-called "western style" Gardenia breads and yeah they may be a little less sweet than the Filipino bread but still it tastes like crap'

The only bread i can find that tastes remotely like it does in Australia is the whole loafs at French baker and Baker Bob's, you know the kind you have to slice yourself and as i will be living at Carcar, i can't always go to SM or Ayala just for a loaf of bread.

So, can anyone recommend any sliced bread for me to try?

• Like 2

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

Best bread in Cebu imo - sliced Whole Wheat (P44) - in Rustan's - Ayala basement.

So I'm afraid you still have to go there I can give you more reasons for go there as well :lol:

Let's hope some members live near Carcar and can help. Gaisano and robinsons only sweet bread imo.

• Like 3

ironmaiden
Posted
Posted

I have given up looking for decent bread a long time ago, and I'm living near Angeles where there are plenty of bakery's. The expat bakery shops do have dark bread or whatever bread it is you're looking for but it still isn't the same, way too dry and expensive ( about 200 p)... I just send 45 kg of flour every year in a balikbayan box and make my own bread. Best bread you ever tasted, and with the timer function on the bread machine ready when you wake up... You wouldn't want to have it any other way anymore.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I bought a raisin loaf in a Cebu bakery once but took it back because it did not do as the name suggested. False advertising I screamed. :89:

• Like 4

billten
Posted
Posted

I hate bread machines, i tried two and they both produced a very inferior loaf. I make all my own bread by hand, it is honest UK bread, only 4 ingredients, flour, yeast, salt and water. Main thing to make the bread really good and easy is to take your time, mix the ingredients first and then let the dough rise overnight and punch it back and rise it again for a few hours. Make the whole 'knead it till ya sweat' thing, not required at all.

The bread tastes frikkin delicious and it costs me under P30 for a 2lb loaf.

I buy the strong white bread flour and brown flour that i combine 50 / 50 in 25kg sacks for about P850 each. They are Pilmico brand and have produced good consistent results for a couple of years now. We buy them from the distributor in Cebu.

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I bought a raisin loaf in a Cebu bakery once but took it back because it did not do as the name suggested. False advertising I screamed. :89:

Hey JGF ..... just because what you thought was raisins turned out to be flies does not warrant returning the bread besides all you had to do was sprad a littl mayo in it and you would have a meat sandwich ...... just tryng to help you out bud ....... :hystery:

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted
quite a few people said that you can now find western type bread here in the supermarkets

Hey bud ..... don't worry once you've been here a few years even the local stuff begins to taste good ..... I remember giving up on hamburger until my asawa started mixing local

ground beef with a ground pork (to put some fat into it) and I liked it ..... but unfortunately for me I discovered S&R .... which has some descent US hamburger which as once again ruined me ...... :hystery: :hystery: ...... not sure what the answer for bread is but I use the Gardenia wheat bread ...... not perfect I know but I guess it will have to do for now ..... :dance: :hystery:

• Like 2

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

I had the same problem with bread as everyone else. Two solutions only, you either change your diet to the local products or start making your own bread, plenty of reciepies online with bread maker and without.

I changed my diet and why, here it is. I tought my helpers how to make simple farmer's bread same as Billten's one. Unless it had come out of the oven i could never find bread available whenever i wanted it. Helpers were eating the entire thing, and how? Together with rice!!! Yes they found it delicious and they were executing it on first given chance. Told them keep some for me...hardly worked, told them do not eat it...became full of ants etc...I just gave up!!!

Now i only eat this toast bread, gardenia or some other brands, only with my eggs in the morning breakfast...

Welcome to the world of RICE!!!!!

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Tom! Don't you know Raisin Bread won't raise if you put it in the bowl with your Corn Flakes and Milk?

:mocking:

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Everybody has their favourite bread... And that is usually like they can get in their home country...!

Be adventurous! Be bold! Go to the local bakery and try the local bread and enjoy! Make your own and enjoy!

The main thing here is ENJOY!

Ok, so the commercial sandwich bread? No matter what country you are in, nobody enjoys that, do they?

:mocking:

• Like 1