Where To Take A Ct Scan And Costs, In Cebu?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Depends on the hospital and location, but private pay CT scan will range from P3,000 to P12,000. The lower price is what they will charge an indigent patient. For brain scans that require more in-depth analyses, it could go as high as P25,000 at the top ranked hospitals like St. Luke, Medical City and Asian Hospital.

The above iinformation is from medical doctors for our Overseas Retirement Care project. Since Medicare stops at the border, we are studying the possibility of providing a Philippine insurance program that is the equivalent of Medicare A, B, C, D. Medicare is an 80/20 co-payment system and additional coverage (B, C, D) costs about $200 a month.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Are there not Insurance Providers located in the Philippines who will provide decent insurance for a decent price to expats? I was thinking Blue Cross (PH) or somebody similar...

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
Are there not Insurance Providers located in the Philippines who will provide decent insurance for a decent price to expats? I was thinking Blue Cross (PH) or somebody similar...

Yes. Medical insurance is available for the general population including independent living seniors. Our market focus is custodial care for persons with advanced Alzheimer's in need of 24/7 care by certified nurse assistants. They are the most susceptible to hospitalization with infections and injuries from falls.

Edited by JJR

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Yes. Medical insurance is available for the general population including independent living seniors. Our market focus is custodial care for persons with advanced Alzheimer's in need of 24/7 care by certified nurse assistants. They are the most susceptible to hospitalization with infections and injuries from falls.

JJR - maybe you could write something on what medical insurance companies offer service to expats living in the Philippines? Sure I can find lots that are Canadian (or American since they pop up on every search) but what about medical for everybody regardless of country? That leaves just companies pretty well based in the Philippines and it's a pain trying to search through all of them trying to figure out if they are Filipino, Canadian or American!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Bob - That's an excellent suggestion. I need to wait to find out what will happen with Medicare. It is a hot political topic at the moment. The Fil-Am community is exerting pressure to make Medicare portable. Since this is an election year and the number of Fil-Am voters are significant, anything can happen. Residents of Guam, the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and the Republic of Palau are already permitted to travel to the Philippines for medical services. Expenses are reimbursed by the US government. Active military and retirees are covered for overseas medical treatment through TriCare.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't have insurance, not even PhilHealth.

Here are a couple of brochures offering different options:

http://www.bluecross..._blueroyale.pdf

http://www.bluecross...chure_splus.pdf

One is a dollar policy, one in pesos. The one I have is inpatient only and runs around $1300 yearly with the limited coverage area discount, no deductible. I don't think these are the latest brochures so the price may have increased some.

• Like 1

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

Had my MRI scan today, in Thailand

in one of these

post-1686-0-70127100-1345637209_thumb.jp

Dressed in a 2 piece hospital dress, I got on the bed. Ear plugs in my ears, then the head lock was adjusted. Was told do not move at all, not even swallow. Got a alarm button in my hand, for use only if I couldn't take more. That took less than 10 minute, but I just had to take it. I was told the procedure took exactly 45 minutes. Staff started to roll the bed into the donut, and I closed my eyes.

The first 20 minutes was scary, noise from the machine more than 120 db,

all kind of noices aka concrete hammer, mixed with Pink Floyd sounds.

Very claustrophobic!

I wanted to push the alarm button after (I guess 10 minute), the heat was unberable.

After 30 mins (guessing), I started to pray that this would soon be over.

After what seemed like 2 hours, the bed was at last rolled out of the donut.

Soken in sweat I couldn't wait to get out of the bed, (in my dream).

Staff told me I'd been in there for 1 hour and 10 minute, (what happen with 45 mins?)

and the analyze was not conclusive.....

So they wanted to inject some contrast fluid, and give me another 20 minute in there (just my luck).

My face and skin felt burned and I requested to stay up and cool down. Into the waiting room I could see my face and arms was clearly red, and after 20 minutes I was still sweating. So we agreed to continue on friday (I think they knew they had 'overdone' me). :angry:

Back to Doctor's office who said from the scan so far, 50 % chance some fluid in my neck, 50% chance is was a lump/tumor. post-1686-0-94149700-1345639565.jpg

So we'll see on friday, for another scan (might get this one on the house, I told them I'm not paying for this tvice).

MRI scan cost 9500 THB or 3100 USD, add some costs and the bill was 11746 THB or 3790 USD.

Now I will do something I almost never do ............ go out and get serious :emostrongbow:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Glad to hear all is ok so far.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
MRI scan cost 9500 THB or 3100 USD, add some costs and the bill was 11746 THB or 3790 USD.

2 years ago in the US I had a CT Scan of chest with radiological marker total cost of $1,140 USD and a PET scan from thighs to nose with radiological marker which cost $3,094 USD.

The PET Scan took almost an hour but they let me wear my headphones and use my ipod.

The rooms where I had my scans done were nice and cool and I didn't suffer any distress.

I would think the costs for these diagnostics in developing asian countries would be only 50%-75% of the cost in the US.

Curley
Posted
Posted

Had my MRI scan today, in Thailand

in one of these

post-1686-0-70127100-1345637209_thumb.jp

Dressed in a 2 piece hospital dress, I got on the bed. Ear plugs in my ears, then the head lock was adjusted. Was told do not move at all, not even swallow. Got a alarm button in my hand, for use only if I couldn't take more. That took less than 10 minute, but I just had to take it. I was told the procedure took exactly 45 minutes. Staff started to roll the bed into the donut, and I closed my eyes.

The first 20 minutes was scary, noise from the machine more than 120 db,

all kind of noices aka concrete hammer, mixed with Pink Floyd sounds.

Very claustrophobic!

I wanted to push the alarm button after (I guess 10 minute), the heat was unberable.

After 30 mins (guessing), I started to pray that this would soon be over.

After what seemed like 2 hours, the bed was at last rolled out of the donut.

Soken in sweat I couldn't wait to get out of the bed, (in my dream).

Staff told me I'd been in there for 1 hour and 10 minute, (what happen with 45 mins?)

and the analyze was not conclusive.....

So they wanted to inject some contrast fluid, and give me another 20 minute in there (just my luck).

My face and skin felt burned and I requested to stay up and cool down. Into the waiting room I could see my face and arms was clearly red, and after 20 minutes I was still sweating. So we agreed to continue on friday (I think they knew they had 'overdone' me). :angry:

Back to Doctor's office who said from the scan so far, 50 % chance some fluid in my neck, 50% chance is was a lump/tumor. post-1686-0-94149700-1345639565.jpg

So we'll see on friday, for another scan (might get this one on the house, I told them I'm not paying for this tvice).

Now I will do something I almost never do ............ go out and get serious :emostrongbow:

MRI scan cost 9500 THB or 3100 USD, add some costs and the bill was 11746 THB or 3790 USD. I think you have a serious mistake in your conversion rate there............ Unless the dollar really has collapsed?