Energy Saving Bulbs?

shiredevon
Posted
Posted

Ok energy saving or long life bulbs, why do some last for ages and others seem to go with monotonous regularity, i've tried different makes etc but it seems it's not the manufacturer but where it's put,

I've got some that are several years old and others i change every few weeks, but usually in the same location, i know wiring here leaves a lot to be desired but i can't believe it's that,

Any ideas.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
I've got some that are several years old and others i change every few weeks, but usually in the same location, i know wiring here leaves a lot to be desired but i can't believe it's that,

ITS your wiring thats the problem. if the bulb goes out within a few weeks or even 1 month, The wiring is most likely the culprit .

sorry but I dont know much else .maybe you can put a voltage tester to test the line, OR if you own the unit(house)

call an electrican, this could be a underlying problem

I have used the BRANDED NAMES and the cheap- china imports(25p) rarely have any gone out in less than 6months

some I still use after4 yrs,.

Good luck on finding the "CURE"

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 1

tiger31
Posted
Posted

well i,ve got one outside my sari sari store and some s.o.b keeps stealing it .I now have to take it out everytime we close which is a pain .so i can,t tell you how long they last but maybe the thief can lol but in general the ones in my house seem to last a long time.

• Like 1

luke
Posted
Posted

I sometimes wonder who is the beneficiary of "savings bulbs". It cost 10 x incandescent bulb. It doesn't last much longer than the old incandescent bulb. The production of these new bulbs is not environment friendly. Only it uses less electric power to light it.

So in my opinion only the government takes the advantage of generating less power to light the bulbs!

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
and some s.o.b keeps stealing it .I now have to take it out everytime we close which is a pain .

simple way to stop the "future" elected official.

Is to put in a BURNED out unit , at night,

when the GENIUS steals it, he has a "nonworkable"bulb.

I have other suggestions 1%20(72).gif but due to rules of the forum& the laws of the country

I cant post

however you could leave a open.ungrounded,bare electrical wire, so if he tries. WELL. ... NO more thief

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 2

banyanman
Posted
Posted

I fitted out a condo in Malaysia with Philips energy saving globes and I had to replace only one globe in five years. I did the same with a house here and four went kaput within two months. I complained to Ace Hardware (where I had bought them) and they told me it was because the Philips globes sold in the Philippines are made in China. They said they would refund my money if they expire within three months, keep the original box and bring back the receipt (too much hassle!). But I was interested to read Bubba's comment about the wiring possibly being the problem. Now the challenge is to find an electrician with a voltage meter. Usually the electricians here just arrive with a screwdriver, shove it between the live wires, and if it sparks they tell you "it's working".

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Aside from the wiring, check for voltage fluctuations. The new bulbs apparently cannot tolerate sudden spikes. Neither can the older ones, but they are cheaper to replace.

• Like 2

shiredevon
Posted
Posted

Your probably right JR, the power here in occ mindoro is terrible, voltage all over the place and at least 3 brown out every day.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
why do some last for ages and others seem to go with monotonous regularity

Here's what happened to me. I bought 3 bulbs in Prince Hardware about 6 months ago. It was not enough. I went to a local hardware store and bought another 3 identical bulbs with identical brand names. Now I had 6 identical bulbs that I put to use. The 3 I bought from Prince are still in use and no problem. All three of the ones I bought from the local hardware store burned out within the first month.

It seems to me that it is not the bulb but the vendor. Perhaps its how they ship it or store it or perhaps its how long it sits on the shelf.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Mystery solved! 1%20(235).gif

Mike unknowingly bought Tigers "missing" bulbs from that local hardware store.

• Like 5