Energy Saving Bulbs?

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Our last trip to Mindanao we took several LED lights. We got a good deal on them here in US. Problem was they only work with 110v. Before our arrival we had sent a spool of nice solid copper wire, fans, transformers and other electric hardware.

We had an electrician come install the fans. He was surprised to see what we had for wire. I wanted to be sure he used the wire nuts and also wanted him to use the electrical tape around the wire nut and the wires. Good way to secure the wire nut in case it happens to come loose. He agreed it is the proper way to do it.

It has now been 9 months and they tell us everything is working fine. They even commented about how the electric bill is not as high as in the past. The LED's draw around 2.5 Watts.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

As far as splicing two wires together it depends on the size .... some can be spliced using wire nuts .... soldered ... use splicing lugs (for bigger gauge wire) but all wires should be secured and not able to be pulled apart ...... electrical tape can be used if used properly (after these other methods have been implemented first) ..... I prefer to use liquid rubber to coat the top of the tape and make it water proof and keep the tape from unraveling ..... but I have not been able to find any cans of liquid rubber here yet ..... motor shops might have it .... I hope ...... anyway that's the way we used to do it ..... but that was a long time ago in a land far away ....... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: ...... :cheersty:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
but I have not been able to find any cans of liquid rubber here yet

It is unavoidable, for me, to use electric tape in Philippines. I just don't see better options in the small local hardware stores. If I was doing a major electrical job and could not get away from using black tape, I would cover it with a coat of spray paint. When it dries it makes it almost impossible to get the tape off.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I recently tried some from CD-R king and "other" name brand,

seems that there is a Big Difference of LIGHT Output 

even when its a 3watt or 5 watt bulb. when testing in the store it doesnt always show how "Bright" it will be at home

under actual usage,

any one has a "Brand" that they feel is Good?

yes i have used Philips but only the fluorescent   

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I just changed a light fixture yesterday, from a flourescant tube to a regular fixture with a compact flourescant bulb.  Glad I brought some wire nuts from the US. (not to be confused with balls of stell).  My girlfriend already burned the trash but she says it was a Phillips bulb.  All I know is it is 23W and bright as hell!  And I think about p120? 

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I just changed a light fixture yesterday, from a flourescant tube to a regular fixture with a compact flourescant bulb.  Glad I brought some wire nuts from the US. (not to be confused with balls of steel).  My girlfriend already burned the trash but she says it was a Phillips bulb.  All I know is it is 23W and bright as hell!  And I think about p120? 

Since you brought of the "Wire Nuts" allow me to post some photos so others can be refreshed

post-1293-0-57007900-1380000198.jpeg

post-1293-0-01788200-1380000208_thumb.jp The small Gray one i have seen as well as the red twist

post-1293-0-81847000-1380000221_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Uncle is supposedly an electrician (works at the local high school).  He refuses to use wire nuts.  He says twisting the wire together and taping it is better.  I twist it, wire nut, and tape it - like I was taught in the US.  We just had to agree to disagree (and I redo his connections after he leaves my house).

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
All I know is it is 23W and bright as hell!
That's not suprising, because if they have same effectivity compared to traditional bulbs as mine, then yours are equal to around 200 Watts!  :)