Energy Saving Bulbs?

Mike S
Posted
Posted

But ... But .... JGF ... your neighbors will go around at night stealing your bottles and selling them for scrap ..... plastic is a better commodity here than light bulbs ..... :hystery: .....

Bby the way that is an excellent idea and should I have a carport or work area like I do out back now when we move I will put that practice into theory (no not stealing my neighbors bottles ... but rather putting in my own for added lighting) I have light colored plastic panels now but I think those bottles would work great ...... IMHO

• Like 3

S123
Posted
Posted (edited)

I sometimes wonder who is the beneficiary of "savings bulbs". It cost 10 x incandescent bulb. It doesn't last much longer than the old incandescent bulb. The production of these new bulbs is not environment friendly. Only it uses less electric power to light it.

So in my opinion only the government takes the advantage of generating less power to light the bulbs!

The old bulbs are no longer allowed to be sold within European Union, as per today Sept 1, 2012.

edit: added these links as ref.

http://ec.europa.eu/energy/lumen/img/overview/whatwillchange/timeline/time-line-en.jpg

http://ec.europa.eu/energy/lumen/faq/index_en.htm

Edited by S123

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
I had the experts solve my lighting problems with globes that last for years.

Wow! That's an amazing idea. My Hawaiian Electric bill is fast approaching $200 a month without air-conditioner. I have been looking at ways to lower it. Although we are on the top floor of a high-rise condominium building, it is doubtful the condo association will permit me to cut holes in the ceiling to stick empty plastic bottles.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Although we are on the top floor of a high-rise condominium building, it is doubtful the condo association will permit me to cut holes in the ceiling to stick empty plastic bottles.

Then cut holes in the floor and that will allow the light from below you to filter through. Always a way :hystery:

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
I've got some that are several years old and others i change every few weeks, but usually in the same location, i know wiring here leaves a lot to be desired but i can't believe it's that,

ITS your wiring thats the problem. if the bulb goes out within a few weeks or even 1 month, The wiring is most likely the culprit .

sorry but I dont know much else .maybe you can put a voltage tester to test the line, OR if you own the unit(house)

call an electrican, this could be a underlying problem

I have used the BRANDED NAMES and the cheap- china imports(25p) rarely have any gone out in less than 6months

some I still use after4 yrs,.

Good luck on finding the "CURE"

After After recalling a problem that a neighbor had a few years ago, and observed what was done ID the issue. ,althou it may not be your cause,,

IS that his wiring had been "JOINED" or 2 wires had been connected.

When the (best) NORMAL way is to use 1 continuous WIRE....

the 2 wires that was connected as I recall was NOT STRANDED to gether very well and the Taping was not of Good Workmanship. this could result in a poor line quality, again I am not an expert in Electrical issues ,Althou the articles I have read would indicate this would be a possible cause

• Like 1

shiredevon
Posted
Posted

Actually Bubba from memory i think that the ones that go sometimes flicker, as if it's getting some kind of residual current.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

post-1-0-22588300-1346480770_thumb.jpg post-1-0-65184400-1346480775_thumb.jpg

http://www.npr.org/2...ght-in-a-bottle

I was checking out something else PI related and came across this video that is very well done and details the "light in the bottle"...I found it interesting and hope you do the same...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Thomas
Posted
Posted

After After recalling a problem that a neighbor had a few years ago, and observed what was done ID the issue. ,althou it may not be your cause,,

IS that his wiring had been "JOINED" or 2 wires had been connected.

When the (best) NORMAL way is to use 1 continuous WIRE....

the 2 wires that was connected as I recall was NOT STRANDED to gether very well and the Taping was not of Good Workmanship. this could result in a poor line quality, again I am not an expert in Electrical issues ,Althou the articles I have read would indicate this would be a possible cause

Do you mean just twist the vires?

Or even worse - Just put the vires together and "connect" them by but tape around?

Such connections oxidate and get worse and worse connection. Oxidations go faster in moist air as in the Philippines.

Electric connections need to be preferingly soldered, but using connecting sockets is OK too. IF using tape at all, then only use it as issolation to avoid contact wid outside.

Otherwise it isn't odd if electric don't function :)

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Do you mean just twist the vires? Or even worse - Just put the vires together and "connect" them by but tape around?

what I had seen(recalled) ,was the 2 seperate wires was twisted/joined together and then TAPED, when only 1 continous wire should have been used,

Such connections oxidate and get worse and worse connection. Oxidations go faster in moist air as in the Philippine

yes thats so true, If you have to have a wire "taped" make sure its securely done

,perhaps a slight,very slight amount of "lube" applied,then wiped off,,, why apply& then wipe off? the wire will still have some protection of the "lube" to prevent oxdation but not enough to cause problems.

again.make sure its "taped"securely afterwards