Decent Vet

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

I have two street kittens, male and female, that are going to need to be fixed soon. But I have heard lots of horror stories about the vets here. Has anyone had any experience with a decent vet, that will use painkillers and do it like a western doctor would?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I'll have a name for you soon for a good vet south part of Cebu City.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I have two street kittens, male and female, that are going to need to be fixed soon. But I have heard lots of horror stories about the vets here. Has anyone had any experience with a decent vet, that will use painkillers and do it like a western doctor would?

Yes, we had our 9 month old female spayed about 2 months ago at Cebu Veterinary Doctors on F. Ramos near the circle by Dr Odysseus. He's a young guy but seems to be very good. Costs for females is much more then males, I believe it was about p6500 plus 800 something for the blood tests prior. Also some post-op medicines, not much. The costs for the males is less then 2000 plus tests. They require that all vaccinations be up to date before the operation and the cat to be at least 6 months old. They wanted to keep her overnight but since we were 2 hours each way they allowed us to take her home same day. She was very sore and didn't eat for a few days but came around after that. I'm very glad I did it, I couldn't live with the caterwauling and I think she's happier. She is basically indoors all the time.

• Like 2

luke
Posted
Posted

Wow! Filipinos must be laughing their ass off reading this. Spending all the money on an "animal" .... (and not on them :unsure: )

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
Wow! Filipinos must be laughing their ass off reading this. Spending all the money on an "animal" .... (and not on them )

Yes. Filipinos have a different attitude when it comes to poultry and animals. After caring for a beloved rooster for months and a loss at the cockfights, the Filipino husband dutifully hands the dead bird to his wife to make chicken soup for supper.

The children of close friends received cute day old chicks for Easter Sunday from their aunty. (I suspect she hated the family.) Well, within six months, the cute little chicks were full grown pests. Someone had to get rid of them. Since I had grown up in a farm, I was the designated axe murderer. Nothing to it. Everyone agrees it was horrible, but someone had to do it. This are the same folks who go to a supermarket to purchase chicken parts, nicely wrapped in cellophane, from the refrigerator section. Where do they think those chicken parts come from?

The children were told that the chickens decided to fly to heaven. Filipino kids are more pragmatic. They would have been happy with the announcement, "We are having chicken soup tonight."

Edited by JJR
  • Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Wow! Filipinos must be laughing their ass off reading this.

Not nearly as much as I laugh at the things they do.

tiger31
Posted
Posted

Yes, we had our 9 month old female spayed about 2 months ago at Cebu Veterinary Doctors on F. Ramos near the circle by Dr Odysseus. He's a young guy but seems to be very good. Costs for females is much more then males, I believe it was about p6500 plus 800 something for the blood tests prior. Also some post-op medicines, not much. The costs for the males is less then 2000 plus tests. They require that all vaccinations be up to date before the operation and the cat to be at least 6 months old. They wanted to keep her overnight but since we were 2 hours each way they allowed us to take her home same day. She was very sore and didn't eat for a few days but came around after that. I'm very glad I did it, I couldn't live with the caterwauling and I think she's happier. She is basically indoors all the time.

blimey 6500 pesos the vet must have been laughing at you paying that price after you left thats nuts.thats more than the u.k price .my chihuahua only cost me 5000 pesos i,m letting her have a litter of pups first that will pay for her to get fixed lol

MikeB
Posted
Posted
blimey 6500 pesos the vet must have been laughing at you paying that price after you left thats nuts.thats more than the u.k price .my chihuahua only cost me 5000 pesos i,m letting her have a litter of pups first that will pay for her to get fixed lol

Right, well I can afford it and I have no regrets and I doubt he was laughing because that is the cost at that clinic for that operation, including general anesthesia. The OP was asking for a vet that offered "western world" treatment, I'm sure it can be done far cheaper. Do you want help the OP (and possibly others) by recommending a vet or are you content to just make disparaging comments about others?

• Like 3

johnb
Posted
Posted

Right, well I can afford it and I have no regrets and I doubt he was laughing because that is the cost at that clinic for that operation, including general anesthesia. The OP was asking for a vet that offered "western world" treatment, I'm sure it can be done far cheaper. Do you want help the OP (and possibly others) by recommending a vet or are you content to just make disparaging comments about others?

I fully agree with you MikeB, we have two dogs here in Cebu one has an on going skin problem we cant get any vet to confirm what it is, we know what it isn't and that's Mange, could be a food allergy so we've tried different combinations, it ddn't really kick in till he was three, his brother is fine and never has any problems, if i could find a vet that was able to take some skin scrapings and then check in the lab I would pay the going rate or more, we've had several people wanting to breed from both our dogs mainly because of there size and temperament [ both very good security dogs,] but we wont agree as we don't feel any pups fathered by our dogs would have a quality life here as to many people just cant look after animals, and either neglect them or breed them to death.

100_0812-1.jpg

sinta.jpg

• Like 1

tiger31
Posted
Posted
breed them to death
well that i do agree with .once the puppy has grown up they are left to there own advices .this place is riddled with scabby dogs ribs protruding etc no one seems to give a dam.