Colon Street, Cebu City

bows00
Posted
Posted

I will be spending 10 days in Cebu for the first time. I will be traveling alone and it would be nice to meet a companion (filipina) who could show me around. Now I have heard that Colon street is a good place to meet people. Is this true? My biggest concern is how safe is it? Should I stay away? How should I dress so I won't stand out too much, but will be presentable to catch a filipina's eye?

Brucewayne
Posted
Posted

Colon is the place where pick pockets and punks hang out.

I have heard that Mango square comes in at a close second .

If you want to be mugged, robbed or otherwise accosted, you will be in the right place.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Should I stay away? How should I dress so I won't stand out too much, but will be presentable to catch a filipina's eye?

:wt-hell: Well bows! This is going to be one of the best topics you have raised. :thumbsup: i feel a few days of fun laughter and merriment. You are a brave man and I really hope, it does not end up in tears for you.. have a good time, Enjoy and lets wish you all the best in your adventure. :cheers:

jack P. :tiphat:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Colon is the place where pick pockets and punks hang out.

You forgot the hookers and druggies. Some of the 'nice' girls go through there to get their shopping done where its cheap but they tend to be very cautious because if someone approaches them in that area it is likely because they are trying to deal drugs or sex, sell stolen/pirated merchandise or maybe pick their pockets.

I love it there.

• Like 3

tiger31
Posted
Posted

just ware shorts vest and flip flops and no jewelery and you,ll be fine ,blend in with the locals don,t worry about the girls with your white skin you,ll be like a bee in a honeypot lol

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

If you go naked you will not be stolen from and you will get all the attention from Filipinas you want. IMHO and experience haha

• Like 1

S123
Posted
Posted

I doubt you'll enjoy Colon street at all. But ocourse since you have not been in Cebu before, you should go there to see the chaos there.

You migh also want to know there is an old expat hang out, Our Place, nearby, on Paleaz street. Our Place, that's the name, is a restaurant/bar.

I would think you end up going to Ayala most of the time.

• Like 2

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

Colon's a seedy area for sure but I wouldn't class it as any more unsafe than any other known nightspots anywhere in the world. As with anywhere, be aware of your surroundings, don't flaunt valuables and avoid looking like a lost tourist. That said, I wouldn't be looking for a companion there on the grounds of 'showing me around'. For the short time you're there you might have better results using Date in Asia to meet a few people, which you can start before arriving in Cebu.

Edited by Ruddy_Rooster
  • Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

I will be spending 10 days in Cebu for the first time. I will be traveling alone and it would be nice to meet a companion (filipina) who could show me around. Now I have heard that Colon street is a good place to meet people. Is this true? My biggest concern is how safe is it? Should I stay away? How should I dress so I won't stand out too much, but will be presentable to catch a filipina's eye?

If you really want to be shown around Cebu and to cover all areas then you'll need several "guides", most Fillipinas only know their immediate areas and of course the shopping malls.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

If you really want to be shown around Cebu and to cover all areas then you'll need several "guides", most Fillipinas only know their immediate areas and of course the shopping malls.

This is true my wife lived in Cebu city for nearly 20 years. I was there for 6 months and knew my way around better than her.
  • Like 1