Colon Street, Cebu City

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

So is Colon Street the Cebu equivilent of Divisoria in Manila? I stayed out of that place even with all the promises of cheap shopping as I heard it has a dangerous reputation.

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

How do you actually define what is safe?

Where I live in UK glassing/bottling is commonplace. Druggies lol (alcohol is a drug) are also commonplace. Druggies are just as likely to be waiting for you to be leaving your home as to be meeting you randomly in some dodgy street.

My only real nasty difference between UK and Colon was being offered a cherry girl,. My 1st time I got annoyed and made it clear, that was a mistake on my part. Be polite and a clear 'no' is all that's needed.

My last trip to Cebu saw me holed up for 50+ days in the Urgello area. I spent 30+ nights down Colon and loved every minute of it. It isn't for everyone admittedly. I was on a budget and it worked. We had 6 regular bars we visited (none of which were girly bars). The attraction for me was we'd end the night owning videoke along Junquera (sp). It wasn't always easy, we were left in charge of 3 bars one evening, such was the trust the manager put into us. It wouldn't happen in UK.

Yes you'll find alsorts down Colon, you can also make some great friendships. I just doubt 10 days will give you anything, extend if you can!

Bottom line is, most will depend how you carry yourself.

Edited by Ruddy_Rooster
  • Like 2

tiger31
Posted
Posted

hahaha rooster where do you live in uk sounds like glasgow lol

tiger31
Posted
Posted

the bottom line here is if your looking for trouble you will find it here lol its best to keep ya heed down and enjoy your holiday .always say sorry and be humble and you should get respect .one golden rule never point your finger at a philippino it could prove fatal lol

• Like 1

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted

I live in Plymouth mate. I wouldn't compare it to Glasgow. Plymouth is rough in its own rights, violence in both cities don't exist in Cebu as we know it.

Or do you disagree?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Now I have heard that Colon street is a good place to meet people.

I think you've been given some dubious information or maybe someone was pulling your leg. It's a place most people go to find cheap products. Isn't it the "oldest street in the Philippines"? My wife's 16 year old nephew lost his cell phone to 3 guys at knife point a month ago there around 9pm. He was told not to go there at night but thought he knew better. Lots of better places to meet people.

• Like 2

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted
Now I have heard that Colon street is a good place to meet people.

I think you've been given some dubious information or maybe someone was pulling your leg. It's a place most people go to find cheap products. Isn't it the "oldest street in the Philippines"? My wife's 16 year old nephew lost his cell phone to 3 guys at knife point a month ago there around 9pm. He was told not to go there at night but thought he knew better. Lots of better places to meet people.

I agree OP has been given some dubious advice but let's not go overboard eh?

The lad was 16 and knew better. I could tell that tale a million times over in UK..

• Like 2

tiger31
Posted
Posted

I live in Plymouth mate. I wouldn't compare it to Glasgow. Plymouth is rough in its own rights, violence in both cities don't exist in Cebu as we know it.

Or do you disagree?

well being ex navy lol yes i agree but i quite liked plymouth as a city overall and would have no problems living there .my brother still owns a flat there can,t remember exactly where but its near the football ground .I had many a good nights out in union street lol the thing i hate about cebu and philippines generally is every crook has a gun hidden in his shorts even hand made ones ,its amazing what philippinos can do with a piece of metal very scary.anyway back on topic i have a house in corby which used to be known as little scotland due the influx of scots moving south to work in the steelworks

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted

Or do you disagree?

well being ex navy lol yes i agree but i quite liked plymouth as a city overall and would have no problems living there .my brother still owns a flat there can,t remember exactly where but its near the football ground .I had many a good nights out in union street lol the thing i hate about cebu and philippines generally is every crook has a gun hidden in his shorts even hand made ones ,its amazing what philippinos can do with a piece of metal very scary.anyway back on topic i have a house in corby which used to be known as little scotland due the influx of scots moving south to work in the steelworks

I can tell you now Union St has gone soft with old age, most of it has closed down. So what was once Union St drinkers are now spread further afield like Barby, Mutley and all surrounding areas. I make Colon a much safer place :)

That said, if Phils has really changed so much where everyone has 'a gun hidden in his shorts' then I'll admit to being behind the times. It just isn't my experience.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I agree OP has been given some dubious advice but let's not go overboard eh?

Not going "overboard", just relating one incident that happened there recently that I know of personally. I'm aware it could happen anywhere but Colon was the topic, wasn't it?

• Like 1