Extension Upon Entry?

ChuckNorris
Posted
Posted

I think 21 days is good enough for a first trip. The problem is, I can't match up the cheapest flights with a 21 day trip. It's a little over or a lot under. I'm not close to a Philippines consulate office to do an extension ahead of time.

So should I just book whatever flight I want, and then get extension upon entry? 3030 php right? $72 usd? Or will it be a big deal and lots of problems?

I have a passport, anything else I need before booking a flight?

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

when i go i usually dont bother getting a visa extension until about a week before the 21 days are out , you wont be able to get that done at the airport you will have to travel to a boi office in your area depending on where you will be traveling too my house is in manila so i just go to the head office near intramuros , it usually only take a hour or so but the travel time for us is like 2 hours each way so we just make a day of it , do some sight seeing go to mall of asia , when you do go to the boi make sure you dress in long pants and decent shirt , dont wear shorts or a t-shirt with sandals on !!! i hope this helps you out there is quite allot of post on here about visa extensions maybe one of the admins will chime in here and direct you ? good luck !!

O-U-C :thumbsup:

luke
Posted
Posted (edited)

As long as you have a ticket out of the PH (return ticket or onward ticket) there is no problem. The date can be beyond the 21 days. If at check-in the attendant is causing problems, ask him to call some one who knows.

At NAIA-1 (Most foreign airlines) you can buy an extension on arrival. Have done that several times. Just go left hand side just before the immigration booths. If you arrive in the night it may not be possible to use this service, but you can get your extension in any BI office across the country.

NAIA-2 (Centennial terminal, PAL only) and NAIA-3 (mostly used by local carriers) may not have the visa-extension service yet.

Your passport should be valid for at least for 6 months.

Bon voyage!

Edited by luke
  • Like 1

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

thanks for correcting me on that luke about getting the extinction at at the airport i didnt know that !!!

O-U-C :thumbsup:

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Cheapest and easiest way to get the first extension is at the airport upon arrival. Manila told me to go to the supervisor's office AFTER getting the 21 day stamp. Cebu told me to go to the supervisor's office BEFORE getting the 21 day stamp. I recommend ASK at the supervisor office BEFORE getting the stamp no matter where as the officials on duty at the time you arrive may do things differently. LOL

Downtown Immigration Office charge 3030 peso. Charge at the airport 2840 peso (Cebu on 19 August 2012). Don't ask me WHY?

brock
Posted
Posted

Get one in your own country before you come.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Nationals from countries listed below who are traveling to the Philippines for business and tourism purposes are allowed to enter the Philippines without visas for a stay not exceeding twenty-one (21) days, provided they hold valid tickets for their return journey to port of origin or next port of destination and their passports valid for a period of at least six (6) months beyond the contemplated period of stay. However, Immigration Officers at ports of entry may exercise their discretion to admit holders of passports valid for at least sixty (60) days beyond the intended period of stay.

Reference: http://www.dfa.gov.ph/main/index.php/consular-services/visa

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) on Sunday said it will slap fines on airlines bringing foreign tourists to the country without return tickets.

Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. instructed the BI airport operations division to impose fine on any airline which allows a foreign visitor to board its aircraft without a return ticket before flying to the Philippines .

He said the requirement on return tickets for tourists is an international rule that is practice worldwide.

"This rule is meant to guarantee that a foreign visitor will leave the host country at the lapse of his stay," the BI chief said.

I used this newspaper as a reference rather than the PH Government sites as it lays it out a little better. NOTE where it says "This rule is meant to guarantee that a foreign visitor will leave the host country at the lapse of his stay." I have yet to find anywhere on any government reference that states the onward ticket must be within the 21 days (though it may exist somewhere). What all the different government sites state is basically as just written: To ensure the foreign visitor will leave the host country at the lapse of his stay. So don't be surprised if all of a sudden you MUST have a ticket WITHIN THE 21 DAYS.

Further discussions on our board can be found under "Living or Visiting the Philippines - Travel and Visa Information". And a good one to start with is one opened by Bubba as he discusses this exact news article and also includes links to other discussions on our board in relation to this. Just don't be fooled by remembering what used to be done - the above is what is now being done.

http://www.philippines-expats.com/index.php/topic/13353-bi-imposes-return-ticket-requirement/

• 2 weeks later...
ChuckNorris
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the replies! I think I can maybe do the 21 days, but I'm not sure on how strict they are. I've tried calling the embassy and two consulates, no answer. I sent them an email just now. Basically...

I'm ready to buy airfare to the Philippines. I want to take full advantage of the 21 day allowance with my passport. But the arrival and departure times are so close to midnight...

If i arrive at 11:10 or 11:50 pm on a given day, do those 10 or 50 minutes count as one of my 21 days?

The same with my departure. If my flight is scheduled to depart at 12:50 am, do those 50 minutes count as another one of my days?

I'm hoping the rules aren't too strict, and that I can have slightly over 21 days in the country, instead of barely over 19.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

When they stamp your passport on entry to the phills it will tell you the last day that you can stay in the country. It is very easy to extend and the last time I did it it took 50 mins. Good luck.

• Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)

I found it easy to get a two month visa at the embassy here in Perth. It takes three days and I don't have to worry about setting aside a day on my visit to Phils. I don't know if there are any disadvantages to doing it this way. I plan to get my visa next month for two months. I did see that the RP consulate had visas for a year but I was a bit worried about the airline ticket requirements. I'm still trying to figure it all out.

Edited by Kuya Fred
  • Like 2