Philippine Drivers License

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

Last month I took my girlfriend and our friend down to the LTO office in Cebu City to get their drivers license.

We had to bring a copy of their passports as ID which was not much of a problem.

After filing out the paper and waiting a very very long time they finally got inside and were able to get their student licenses.

They were told to come back no earlier than 31 days.

How long do they have to go in and get their actual drivers license?

The sign on the wall said they would have to take a written test plus a driving test after the waiting period.

The driving test route was posted on the wall. Appeared to me to be just drive the car around the block.

Now my question is this. What information do they study to take the written test?

Is there a book? Do they have to take a class to find out about the signs and driving laws here?

Is there a working website for LTO?

Has anyone here tried to teach a Filipina to drive a car here in the Philippines?

Did you have a nervous breakdown ?

Thanks for your help.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
s there a book? Do they have to take a class to find out about the signs and driving laws here?

I believe there is a seminar to be attended.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

Update: October 19, 2012

While waiting the required 30 days to take my girlfriend and our friend to the LTO office to apply for their drivers license after they had received their Student permits I looked up and found a practice test online, Unfortunately it is in Tagalog and not English. Here is the Website.

http://ltoexam.boxpinoy.com/ltoexam.php

There are 100 questions on the test and there is also the answers as well. I printed out the test and they practiced for almost 2 weeks. I was very surprised that at the end of the 2 weeks they were both able to get 90 or more questions correct.

During this time we looked for a Driving School to help teach them to actually drive a car as well.

We were able to find several agencies. The costs seemed to me to be rather high. It was anywhere from 3000 to 10000 per hour.

I had already purchased a multicab for them to learn to drive with. I bought a multicab instead of a regular car because to be honest if they wreck the multicab, I DON'T CARE. We can thro it away and buy a real car. To me it just makes more sense to spend 3 or 4 thousand dollars on a multicab then 20 to 30 thousand on a real car to teach someone to drive that has never driven before.

However there is that chance that they may have a wreck. And we did.

They seemed to have a great deal of difficulty with turning corners and basically turning in general. So We went driving east of Liloan on some very curvy and winding roads in the Province. I thought they would have to take a test drive for their licenses. We practiced driving about 3 to 4 days a week. Driving around town as well as in the Province.

While driving out in the Province east of Liloan Rowena pushed down on the clutch instead of the break. We rolled down the hill and into a tree. The multicab then very very slowly fell over on its side. Almost as if it were some slapstick comedy. Only it wasn't funny.

I'm not sure how to add a picture here so you will have to look at my gallery to see the pics of the Multicab and the road.

The damages are going to cost about 10000.00 pesos to repair.

Our friend decided that instead of returning to the Cebu City LTO office that we should go to the Danao LTO office, because it is closer to our home and a lot less traffic to get there.

On our first visit to the Danao LTO office they both got their drug test and medical exams in the little building behind the LTO building. The test took most of the day.

We returned on Monday to apply for the test.

This is were something very odd happened.

They were told by the LTO employee to meet her outside after they filed their forms.

They both went outside where they were informed that it would cost them 2200 pesos each to pass the tests. Both written and driving. Without paying they would most likely not pass the test and have to come back in another month after failing the test.

So we paid. They were given the written test the next day, with the correct answers marked on it after watching a video and they both got their drivers license.

All the studying and lessons were for nothing. If I had known that would happen I would not have bothered trying to teach them at all.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

You did a good thing. I wish I had the patience to teach my wife to drive a small car and the money to afford to see it wrecked along with the possible expense of an injured third party.

I tried to find someone local to teach her but the cost was pretty high for what I considered the blind leading the blind. In the end we both decided that she was not going to be a driver any time soon.

• Like 2

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

Front of Multicab

Side view of cab frame

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted
I wish I had the patience to teach my wife to drive a small car and the money to afford to see it wrecked along with the possible expense of an injured third party.

When we purchased the multicab from Rusco on payments it came with the minimum insurance. It covered injury to one third party in the amount of 100,000 pesos I think. Full coverage for 1 year cost 10,584.00 pesos extra. It is well worth it to get the full coverage. However I am paying cash to have the multicab fixed. I got the insurance more for damage to others and not so much for damage to the multicab.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

You did a good thing. I wish I had the patience to teach my wife to drive a small car and the money to afford to see it wrecked along with the possible expense of an injured third party.

I tried to find someone local to teach her but the cost was pretty high for what I considered the blind leading the blind. In the end we both decided that she was not going to be a driver any time soon.

My girlfriend wanted me to teach her how to drive a car on my first visit. I said no way... before I would even consider it I would need to have confidence in myself to drive in the Philippines.

I think she would probably do ok learning to drive a car. She already does a great job driving a scooter and knows how to drive a small motorcycle with a clutch.

The tough time came when she tried to teach ME how to drive her scooter. I have never driven a scooter or motorcycle. Fortunately she found a wide and long cemented drive with no traffic where I could practice. After several practice sessions I didn't feel comfortable enough to drive in traffic yet.

I have a very long way to go before I am some Easy Rider.

• Like 2

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

"Has anyone here tried to teach a Filipina to drive a car here in the Philippines?"

Epic question!

Pay someone to teach your wife to drive. Whatever the cost it would still be a bargain.

:hystery: :hystery: :hystery: ........................

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

I taught my wife to drive in a pajero 4x4 off road, then took her to Kart Zone Cebu to practice in go karts, that was fun and very useful. She already had her license prior to this but had never driven. Then I got her driving lessons Php 5000 for 10 lessons, since then I have crashed once and hit a few things here and there, my wife has not hit a thing, although I am sure I have been close to getting a slap or two :horse:

• Like 2