Multicab

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

When we finally retire in Marinduque, as planned, we will be needing some form of transportation other than a tricycle or a rental. While in Cebu, we saw many multicabs, and are considering getting one for Marinduque. Are multicabs reliable? And, will they ship to Marinduque?

MacBubba

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

Well as reliable as they can be, there are plenty of those that work on them and parts are available, if your in the mountains not so good, the problem i have and i am not a big person but my legs are cramped up around the steering wheel if you could get one with more leg room it would be ok. i am sure you can buy one anywhere in the Phil.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Thanks Okieboy, it's reassuring that parts are readily available and that they are easily serviced. Although Marinduque has its share of mountains, I'm not so concerned with mountain driving as most of our driving will be on the coast.

MacBubba

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The best quality IMO are Suzuki new and used parts are avalable. Okieboy is correct they are all small and underpowered IMO unsafe. Our family has a new Suzuki van big motor four wheel drive it can go up fairly steep hills OK but anyway you look at it they are just a clown car.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I did some rather extensive research on Multi-cabs but then settled for my Kia Sportage ..... I might add that I am a big guy and would have had to have the front seat rails moved so I could slide under the steering wheel (they aren't adjustable) so everything but a van or custom made dual cab was out .... we looked at a new assembled cabs at Pasajero on A.S. Fortuna St., Banilad . Mandaue..... 346-3322 ... ask for Danilo ..... he was very helpful and spoke good English .... the biggest problem seems to be with the people that reassemble the MC .... some do a great job and others have a fancy paint job but crappy assembly work ....... the one I listed above is probably the largest assembler here in Cebu and do bunches of government vehicles including fire trucks ... police cars etc. ......... my other concern is that they have no front-end buffer zone should you smack someone and as been already reported .... under-powered but for city driving they are great .... I did a pretty extensive write up a while back on here about what to expect and look for with I believe websites ..... (not sure just where) ..... parts are all over the place even if they are used ..... (lots of places in Colon for parts) .....

As I said I settled on the Sporty for a lot less than an newly assembled Suzuki MC and mine has a 4 cylinder 2.0L diesel engine .... instead of 3 cylinder 600cc Suzi engine ...... but you can buy the Suzi's from individuals for sometimes next to nothing if you know what you are doing (mechanically that is) ..... some guys have them here on the board and are happy .... I can think of 3 guys on the board that have them ...... maybe they will join in on the discussion ..... :thumbsup: ..... :cheersty:

• Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

The 2 best things about multi cabs are

1 the price So cheap for a real work horse

2 No matter where you break down someone can fix it even if they have to take parts off their multicab to get you going

IMO the 2nd best Philippine daily driver

The best would be a VW beetle with aircon

Thomas
Posted
Posted

When we finally retire in Marinduque, as planned, we will be needing some form of transportation other than a tricycle or a rental. While in Cebu, we saw many multicabs, and are considering getting one for Marinduque. Are multicabs reliable? And, will they ship to Marinduque?

MacBubba

Do you mean the most common, very cheap ones, which has same front but different back solutions (pickup, minibus...)?

I thought of the bus version myself, but I skiped it after what I heared:

/Much to weak motors. (660cc !) But now they make 1000 cc. Perhaps they are OK. I suppose hard to get up a hill with such weak motor, if you have a few kanos in it :)

/Unreliable, so even if "everyone" can repair them, they need to many repairs :) Not odd they break with such weak motors.

/Uncomfortable. But I could stand that if the other were OK.

So if can afford, better buy some better type, I believe.

Have you thought of the some similar "concept" and price leveled "Toyota Other jeeps" (=the common often (partly) stainless bodies, which they mount mostly Toyota parts on)?

I believe I will buy a such to start with (but one of the some uncommon closeable ones,trying to avoid snakes and scorpios using it too :) And nicer if can close it to not get in rain.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

A 600cc engine? Driving an under powered vehicle is a good way to get you and your passengers killed. In the province there are Ceres and Sunrays buses and dump trucks of every description going in the opposite direction from you at break neck speed and you have to constantly be passing slow moving tricycles, trycicads, and motorbikes. Better just get a bike with that engine, it has the power and when you go it will be quick.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

A 600cc engine? Driving an under powered vehicle is a good way to get you and your passengers killed. In the province there are Ceres and Sunrays buses and dump trucks of every description going in the opposite direction from you at break neck speed and you have to constantly be passing slow moving tricycles, trycicads, and motorbikes. Better just get a bike with that engine, it has the power and when you go it will be quick.

I don't remember for sure. Perhaps it was 660cc. Much to weak anyway.

But a year or so ago they started selling with around 1000cc (only or too?) so never ones can be got with some less weak motor.

They have a very small crash absorbing zone in the front too. Better in "Toyota Other".

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

I think i do need one inexpensive vehicle taking me 4km's to my town center from my home and the 4km's back. in a traffic where tricycles coem on 1cm (not even inch) from your door, whatever has wheels or legs can be found on the street, (wagons with carabao or horse, dogs, goats, horses, people, and the luxurious jeepneys etc). I seriously think of buying one of these things. Their maintenance is easy and cheap, for small distances their engine is big enough (anyway you do not go more than 10km/h and ok 40km/h at 3am), scratches and small dentures...who cares. BUT I NEED A/C AND AUTOMATIC.

• Like 1