Whats The Worst That Could Happen

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
If you're worried about not having the money to pay the bills,

Thanks for the concern. The worry is not a one time bill. The worry is where it might lead. What if the youngster needs frequent hospitalization as some kids seem to? As I said in the beginning it was mainly a rant and a bit of worry about expenses that are beyond my control . . and I'm a control freak when it comes to my budget.

• Like 3

Brucewayne
Posted
Posted

Thanks Bil.

Its getting close to the delivery time and I have been listening to tales of expensive procedures. Just a few minutes ago my wife was telling me one of the local gossip stories about some couple who were told to get a C Section and did not get it and then sold land to finally get it done and the baby was stillborn anyway. As I said, one of the local stories that makes the rounds, true or not it gets people in a fearful mood and there are a LOT of C Sections done here. One has to wonder if they are really necessary but we are taught to trust the doc. I do think my wife has a good one as far as provincial OBGYNs go. She has delivered a lot of babies in the area and many were normal births.

Dave, when Nida was pregnant with Marci, we went through two Gynos because at only 3-5 months there was no way they could have known that a cesarean would be necessary, but both insisted that with a white man and a Filipina, there was no possible way the woman could give natural birth to a baby.

The third lady we found told us the others only wanted our money and if she did a cesarean section, it would only be because it was necessary.

Marci was born, all 7.3lbs. of her as naturally and smoothly as any other baby and our total bill was only P25,000.00

That includes doctor hospital and all.

Try another doctor if your doc has been trying to push this on from earlier than 8 months because they cannot possibly know up until the last month (last minute sometimes) whether the operation is necessary.

Also, a scan is necessary at between 8 months and 8-1/2 months to be sure the baby isn't having trouble with positioning or the naval chord isn't in the wrong place for natural delivery.

• Like 4

Brucewayne
Posted
Posted

I hope your wife and baby (and you!) pull through ok. I'm thinking of getting PhilHealth -- 200 ps/mo/person.

We've had Philhealth for over three years and they have saved us a lot of money in that time.

They even paid P14,000 toward the cataract in my right eye last year and we REALLY needed that bit of help, the operation only costed me P20,000 out of pocket.

• Like 2

tiger31
Posted
Posted

all 3 of my kids were born c section back in the uk it seems to be normal over there .the downside is i never got to see them being born ,I felt cheated they just bring the baby out of the delivery room and plonk baby on your arms lol.If I were in your shoes I would try another doc but you stay out the picture and get your wife to haggle a price .as you know when kano appears its $$$$$$ to them .

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
pay medical expenses as I go, no insurance and no heap of emergency cash.

Same thing for me in Jan 2010 when my 2nd child was born, my now X partner needed a C section, cost was "25-35k" money i didnt have . So she went to Dr. Jose Fabella Memorial Hospital, (the manila baby factory)

TOTAL cost was under 6k included, the C section. philhealth paying part of the bill.

off topic

. since she knew I could not pay or take her to a "real"hospital.(45-50k)

she decided (well i will leave out the personal details) point is ,, i now have my 10yo living w/me and past few months the 33month child. I think that was the best investment I ever made. and look at how much I saved,

perhaps you should consider a True public hospital and allow philhealth(if its not too late) to take up

the tab, if your wife or partner really loves you she will understand,

if she leaves then she really didnt love you, ... at least in my situation .

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
The worry is not a one time bill. The worry is where it might lead. What if the youngster needs frequent hospitalization as some kids seem to? As I said in the beginning it was mainly a rant and a bit of worry about expenses that are beyond my control

The only way to mitigate that is to have insurance. The policy I got my wife covers the child after 15 days from birth up to the date of renewal for free, as long as the hospitalization is not the result of congenital illness or related to the birth. Insurance for your wife and child would be considerably less then ours since they are much younger.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

My daughter was born naturally and weighed just under 6 pounds. We had a package deal with the hospital where we paid p15,000 to cover the costs except medicine. We did get a refund of about p3500 a week after the birth. We were staying in Dalaguete and came back to Cebu city on the friday,my wife had a check-up for the Saturday morning. Well my wife pulled "Philippino time" on the hospital and the doctor told her to come back Monday. On the monday I made sure she was not going to be late and offered her a taxi. My wife said "no I want to walk so the birth will be easier". I walked down with her and went to the gym she went to the hospital. After the gym I went to Fuente pension house with a member from this forum. We were having a joke about me not paying for my drink the last time I was there. My drink arrived and before I had chance to take a sip I had a message on my cell. I said to my friend "it looks like you are paying for this drink as well I have to go as Sim is in labour. She gave birth at 324pm and the hospital told me I was a dad at 715pm nice eh. I do think had Sim not been so far gone and I had been there they would have tried for a c section as I hear far too often takes place.

• Like 5

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
The only way to mitigate that is to have insurance. The policy I got my wife covers the child after 15 days from birth up to the date of renewal for free,

could you share with us the name of your provider? if possible

this could be helpful to the members when selecting insurance

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Blue Cross Philippines

• Like 3