Whats The Worst That Could Happen

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I do think had Sim not been so far gone and I had been there they would have tried for a c section as I hear far too often takes place.

Yes, you do hear it; for example the expats sitting around the checkers table at the local coffee shop who did not know any details decided, in their wisdom, that the dr was ripping off the foreigner by doing a c sect. Could be, it also could be that it was medically advisable or even life or death necessary. The midwife route is great as long as there are no complications and you are minutes to a decent hospital. If not, best to select a dr you both like and trust and have this conversation long before the day, he or she has heard all this before. When the time comes it's a medical decision made by the medical professional and no one else.

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Why is it that the coffee shop rumor mill generally doesn't convey stories of smooth ANYTHING and WONDERFUL success? I think it works the same way as the news... If it is shocking, it is interesting! That is why I don't watch the news OR go to coffee shops!!!

No experience with the babies in the Philippines, but Chong Hua, Cebu City did a GOOD job with a week long stay over a severe kidney infection. Total 25,000 pesos with a private room; the room was half the bill.

Have fun and enjoy the new arrival!!! :540: It will all turn out fine.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
When the time comes it's a medical decision made by the medical professional and no one else.

First I want to say I agree with you. Second I want to say its because I have been brainwashed since birth to believe that doctors share a cloud with God. After taking the time to meet with some here I now understand why some locals really believe they get better treatment from 'Quack' doctors. That does not mean that I think all doctors here are under-educated but there is a reason why they cannot move to other countries and immediately put the MD after their name.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
When the time comes it's a medical decision made by the medical professional and no one else.

First I want to say I agree with you. Second I want to say its because I have been brainwashed since birth to believe that doctors share a cloud with God. After taking the time to meet with some here I now understand why some locals really believe they get better treatment from 'Quack' doctors. That does not mean that I think all doctors here are under-educated but there is a reason why they cannot move to other countries and immediately put the MD after their name.

Like with anything else, when dealing with doctors and hospitals, you need to do your own due diligence if there is time.

Several years ago when I needed major surgery my local doctors were going to route me through getting the surgery done at the local hospital.

Fortunately I did some research and found a doctor and hospital only 2 hours drive away which had a great deal more experience and better technology for doing the surgery than my local hospital. It cut my hospital stay and my recovery time by more than half. I am talking cutting the

recovery time from 2-3 months to 3-4 weeks.

Always if at all possible get a second and maybe third opinion. It is your or your loved ones health and life.

I plan on researching my doctor and hospital options soon after I make the move so that if anything happens I will know who I want to deal with.

Adventurer
Posted
Posted
So what happens. I don't have a spare 100,000. If I borrowed it and then there were more 'complications' there would come a point where I have no more ability to beg or borrow so at what point does a person say: You keep the kid as collateral because I cannot afford to be gouged any more.

Well first I will say congratulations to you and your wife Dave.

Me and my wife have purposely put off having children until we can afford it and are ready. we want to have them when we are prepared, planned and not by accident although we realize that there is always that chance too.

We want to have kids when my wife is 25 in a few years and that is when she wants them. Until then we want to be free to travel and do things without the worry of kids holding us back but the main reason is the MONEY and I would never want to put my wife or a child at risk especially here in the Philippines with some very worrying and maybe corrupt medical facilities. Like you say Dave, i would not even consider having children here unless I had 100,000 p at least on standby, I have that now but it would mean we would be nearly broke afterwards and who wants to raise children when your nearly broke, If I have children I want them to have everything they need.

We are planning to go back to Aussie before we have kids anyway and have them there as I would feel a lot better for many reasons.

We would love to have children now but it will be much better when we are ready!

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well. There are several crap doctors in kano countries too.

E g when my knees broke first time, then I visited 7 doctors and almost all GUESSED what's the problem, them together saying ALL knee sport injury types except one!!! :unsure: The second BEST said "I don't know"... :hystery:

(But lucky for me one of my clubs - I did "all" sports - belonged to the few clubs, who had a contract with the doctor, who took care of the national tracking field team too, so I got corect diagnosis and surgery finaly. So my knees functioned good during many years until they broke again.)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Blue Cross Philippines

Well I respect your choices, Mike. As you may be able to tell I am not a fan of doctors or insurance plans but sometimes you just can't beat the system so, with you post in mind, I sent a request (by email) to Blue Cross Philippines. Ya know what . . it feels better already, just knowing I am *doing* something instead of biting fingernails and worrying about what *might* go wrong.

• Like 4