Request For Those Still Living In Canada Or Us

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Much has been said of the cost of living in Philippines. What I want is the opinion of those still living in Canada or US:

If you chose to bring a filipina bride to Canada or US and relocate in the cheapest area that you would feel comfortable. What would you estimate your minimum budget to be. I am talking about retiring and trimming your lifestyle back as far as you dare and having another mouth to feed. You might want to comment how the budget would change if your new bride had a child.

I would add a poll but the numbers may be all over the map so lets just see what people think.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Wild guess, E Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana outside a large city 2K bare minimum. I would add at least $500.00 for a child, a younger child could be a bit less an older child more. Yea some could get by on less but what kind of life would that be?

• Like 3

Beachboy
Posted
Posted
cheapest area that you would feel comfortable.
The tricky part is "comfortable". There are plenty of places in the rural US where you can rent a decent house for $500/mo. But the isolation and boredom would kill me and there would be super-cultural shock for my wife. After 3 years she'd have her green card and she'd be gone. I wouldn't blame her. But there are other cities (Twin Falls Idaho comes to mind) which are reasonable.

For me, because I've spent 2/3 of my life in Hawaii, I'd try the rural parts of the outer islands, probably the "Big Island".

Thinking about a change....? How about a Place on the slopes of Mauna Loa, over looking, Ka Lae, the southern end of the Big Island, Hawaii. Warm all year round, Beaches, Hiking, Biking, Fishing & even more with a 4x4 parked outside your door.

come see for yourself . This would be a perfect creative space for one person or two. if your into checking out the stars at night this could be the place for you....?

Check out: "Hawaiian Lava Daily" & "Pohue Bay Hawaii" amazing photo's & videos of the Big Island...enjoy

Avalilable now / Prefer 6-12 month Lease

1 Bdrm, 1Bath W/Loft, Private, Quiet, View, Open Beam Ceiling, Slate Tile Flooring, Granite Kitchen Counters, Koa Cabinets, Garden Space, Additional 175 sq. ft under Ohana would be very easy to make into a little work shop or storage space.

Close to Bus Stop & Town.

Dish Network & Wireless Internet available.

Pet welcome additional deposit required.

Located on the Big Island 45 miles South of Kailua Kona. One hour to the Volcano National Park

$775 + utilities

There's a large enough Filipino community there so the wife wouldn't feel like she was on Mars. Utilities are probably $150. A car (insurance and a maintenance fund) $200. Food $500. I get free medical for my wife and family from my pension, which is a big reason I'd stay here. I would guess an individual plan would be about $500 and maybe $1000 for a family plan but it's a lot if you can get into Medicaid.

I have no idea about child rearing cost. Perhaps $500.

So for me and the wife .. about $1700 and $500 for the child. Add about $1000 max for medical. Where ever you settle in the US, the medical is the complicated factor.

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

WOW ..... just my own experience while living in Florida with no A/C to pay to speak of and very little heat in the winter I could not have lived on my SS of around $1300 per month and my house was paid for .... with just the various insurances alone ... car ... house and medical it would eat up a bunch .... and all it would take is one law-suit and you would be going back to work for sure ..... till you dropped ....

Sorry Dave not trying to discourage you as I know you have a lot of expenses living here that I don't so I guess I'm not the best example but if I couldn't live there then ....... I sure can't now ..... IMHO

• Like 3

TheMason
Posted
Posted

Well, just like when people ask what it costs in the Philippines, the answer is it depends on what you consider bare minimum lifestyle.

Here's my breakdown for middle class life in Tucson, AZ. You can find cheaper in AZ or elsewhere in the US if you want to live in the sticks.

$700--Mortgage+property taxes+HOA fees on a 3 bedroom 130 sqm home with a small yard.

$300-groceries (this will go up once my daughter starts eating regular food in a few month

$100-Electricity

$50--Gas (heater)

$125-Cable TV, Internet

$130-Cell phones (3 lines)

$200-entertainment, dining out

$150- clothing (including baby)

$150-Household

$150-gasoline (I commute 30 miles 1-way to work. If not working, this would be much lower)

$40- Medical (includes baby stuff)

$60- Auto Insurance

$25- Homeowners Insurance (would be about the same for Renter's Ins)

$450-Misc (travel, gifts, etc)

Total= 2630

When I moved back to the US, I spent about $50k to get set up here again, That included cash for a car, 20% downpayment on our home, household furnisings, and winter wardrobe for the wife (yes, it does get cold in Tucson)

Aside from that, we just had a baby about 6 weeks ago. We spent about $3k on 'baby gear'. Much of it is not required, but it sure does make life easier with it. Crib, changing table, clothes, etc, etc, etc.

Having said all this, my total monthly budget of $2630 could easily be cut back to $2k, maybe $1800.

Another thing to keep in mind is, even though you are retired, your wife may want to work in Canada, especially if she has family that needs support. So you might be able to supplement a bit with her income while you play Mr. Mom.

• Like 3

TheMason
Posted
Posted
After 3 years she'd have her green card and she'd be gone.

In the US, spouses generally have their green card on arrival. The 3 years is the wait for dual citizenship, but if she's going to leave you, she won't need to wait 3 years to do it. Once she has her green card, she can get dual citizenship without you.

But look on the bright side, if the wife pulls a runner your expenses will go way down.

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Most-Time RVing is pretty cheap. I have a $600 a year membership that includes 2 weeks in and 1 week out with swimming pools, tennis courts, hot tub, internet, electric, water, YOU get the idea. Add in a friend that lets you spend the week out in their drive OR a home base friend with a septic tank hookup and THERE you go. OR add a second membership. Me and my girl will do this for under $1000 a month and LIVE very nicely. No children allowed. We'll get to see a lot of the USA this way when we go. Let me know if YOU WANT TO BE ON my "TO VISIT" list. :thumbsup:

Fuel $300, Ins $100, Food $350, Utilities at Friend's $100 (half of the time), maintenance and such $150.

No payments on the camper or truck.

I was doing this before moving to the Philippines for under $500 a month alone and was very comfortable, but I'm not a NEED and WANT person. Five hours of sports a day (water volleyball, pickleball to play & football to watch) and an occasional tour of a winery or brewery is all I need. :cheersty: Grill most of the time ($2/lb boneless/skinless chicken breast & $3/lb beef deals make the difference) and eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Another thing to keep in mind is, even though you are retired, your wife may want to work in Canada, especially if she has family that needs support.

Your budget looks very similar to what I spend in the Philippines. The big difference, and the one that brings my budget down to 2000 a month, is housing, I rent for just over $100 a month here, but in Canada there are government initiatives like 'baby bonus' which would compensate for a higher cost of living.

Thanks to all who are participating in this but I have to be honest, with a wife and kid living in the Philippines there are only a few things keeping me here that I cannot get in Canada. First is cheap and easily available massage. I have a little bit of arthritis (I think its what it is but might just be getting older) that feels much better with a massage so I get one at least once a week. Next are the helpers. Due to some health constraints I cannot work too much around the house so it really helps to have maid, yaya, houseboy and these people are not available for any money in the west. Then there is the climate. I have had it with cold weather so anywhere I live from here on is going to have mild or no winter.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Fuel $300

I used to really enjoy rving with my ex wife and wanted to do this with Dona but the cost of fuel was more like $100 to $300 every time I moved the RV so I am surprised to see your number. Add that to the difficulty of getting a visa for Dona to visit the US and I threw out the idea of RVing in the US for 6 months a year. Would have been fun.

• Like 1

Beachboy
Posted
Posted
if the wife pulls a runner your expenses will go way down.
.. I hope you're not speaking from experience :cheersty: