Request For Those Still Living In Canada Or Us

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Here in Southern Ontario, Canada, I am scraping by on my own with my pension for $1200 a month. That includes some of the cheapest housing I could find in all of Ontario (amazingly not a slum though) and with all utilities included. I am in the process of selling my car because the insurance every year is worth more than the car - and it's as low as I could get. Food costs are rising every month noticeably as the winter approaches so that I can't even reliably make a budget to cover it. I will admit that I am getting very good at finding cheaper prices - Farmer's Markets, discount grocers, etc... When was the last time you saw a loaf of bread for 99 cents? I found a store that sells off the over-production of bread from a local commercial bakery - this bread normally retails in the chain grocers for $2.69 a loaf. And, luckily, I have really like peanut butter sandwiches so this really helps the budget. Since it is just me, I can pretty well just buy what's on special. Anyway, at the end of the month I usually am scraping by for the last week out of cash. If I don't get out and find a couple day's worth of work each month, well... Anything extra I want? It just ain't gonna happen until I get back to work full time!

Save this post, Bob. If you think about it then get back to us after you have been living in Philipiines for a year on that same budget. My guess is you will be saying similar things with the HUGE difference that you can support a budget minded live in partner (or wife) with that same money.

So the question is: Could you live on that budget where you are now if your filipina partner moved back to Canada with you?

Since my earlier post, I have moved from Hamilton back to my hometown and I'm sharing a house with my sister for a few months.  And I have to admit - it was much cheaper in Hamilton with some of the places I found there!  I go to one of the local meat and vegie wholesalers and get a lot of my food there - it's much cheaper and better than what I can get in the grocery stores.  Still, when a chicken breast goes from $2 a pound to over $5 a pound, you gotta cut back a lot.  I don't even look at beef any more.  And pork is hit and miss - sometimes it's cheap because the market is flooded and sometimes it's too expensive to look at.  I get my eggs, milk, blend (10% coffee cream) and cheese at Costco because it's a lot cheaper there.  Everything else I can get cheaper else where.  But they are all still twice the price they were a year ago - and this is the middle of farm season!  Even rent has gone up!  Where I am now, I can't find anything under $800 a month - not even a slum apartment.  My old apartment?  I was talking to a friend who still lives in the building - my apartment has gone up to $900 a month.

So to make a simple statement on what it costs to live here in Canada now?  Forget about it!

And, yes, I'll give you a run-down of my expenses once I move to Cebu.  Give me a month or two to figure out what and where I will be living though - Cebu is just the landing point for me.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

The price were ever you are is going up, we all should shop around for the best prices i do and i do live good life , i think

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Somebody mentioned that they could keep their medical insurance for 18 months after retiring...  I was able to keep my medical insurance as long as I pay for it!  Yes, moving overseas is going to raise the cost of it.  And I won't have the same coverage either!  But between this and PhilHealth, I should have most things covered.  And even if I move back to Canada, I am still covered!  (Contrary to popular belief, in Canada, we pay out of pocket for dental, meds, optical supplies and some medical procedures.  Our government medical insurance only covers [most] doctor care, hospitalization and meds while in the hospital.)

Bottom line - if you have your own personal medical insurance, find out what coverage you will have overseas!  And keep it even if you don't intend just yet to ever return to your home country...  You never know when things will change!  Or a pre-existing condition may appear!

Edited by I am bob

stevewool
Posted
Posted

What cost are you paying for this insurance bob, and do you pay it monthly or annually

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Here in Southern Ontario, Canada, I am scraping by on my own with my pension for $1200 a month. That includes some of the cheapest housing I could find in all of Ontario (amazingly not a slum though) and with all utilities included. I am in the process of selling my car because the insurance every year is worth more than the car - and it's as low as I could get. Food costs are rising every month noticeably as the winter approaches so that I can't even reliably make a budget to cover it. I will admit that I am getting very good at finding cheaper prices - Farmer's Markets, discount grocers, etc... When was the last time you saw a loaf of bread for 99 cents? I found a store that sells off the over-production of bread from a local commercial bakery - this bread normally retails in the chain grocers for $2.69 a loaf. And, luckily, I have really like peanut butter sandwiches so this really helps the budget. Since it is just me, I can pretty well just buy what's on special. Anyway, at the end of the month I usually am scraping by for the last week out of cash. If I don't get out and find a couple day's worth of work each month, well... Anything extra I want? It just ain't gonna happen until I get back to work full time!

Save this post, Bob. If you think about it then get back to us after you have been living in Philipiines for a year on that same budget. My guess is you will be saying similar things with the HUGE difference that you can support a budget minded live in partner (or wife) with that same money.

So the question is: Could you live on that budget where you are now if your filipina partner moved back to Canada with you?

Since my earlier post, I have moved from Hamilton back to my hometown and I'm sharing a house with my sister for a few months.  And I have to admit - it was much cheaper in Hamilton with some of the places I found there!  I go to one of the local meat and vegie wholesalers and get a lot of my food there - it's much cheaper and better than what I can get in the grocery stores.  Still, when a chicken breast goes from $2 a pound to over $5 a pound, you gotta cut back a lot.  I don't even look at beef any more.  And pork is hit and miss - sometimes it's cheap because the market is flooded and sometimes it's too expensive to look at.  I get my eggs, milk, blend (10% coffee cream) and cheese at Costco because it's a lot cheaper there.  Everything else I can get cheaper else where.  But they are all still twice the price they were a year ago - and this is the middle of farm season!  Even rent has gone up!  Where I am now, I can't find anything under $800 a month - not even a slum apartment.  My old apartment?  I was talking to a friend who still lives in the building - my apartment has gone up to $900 a month.

So to make a simple statement on what it costs to live here in Canada now?  Forget about it!

And, yes, I'll give you a run-down of my expenses once I move to Cebu.  Give me a month or two to figure out what and where I will be living though - Cebu is just the landing point for me.

Bob is right. Groceries are increasing at an alarming rate ( bacon $7 a lb,  Package of hot dogs $5 ). To combat this I wait for a sale and buy lots of that item.  I live 6 months in Canada and 6 months in the Phils and I feel it is still cheaper in the Philippines, But the gap is shrinking as a lot of things in the Phils has gone up in price also.

I have a family of 7 in the Phils and I spend just a little more there then in Canada with a family of 2. In my city in Canada you can rent a 1 bedroom apartment for $650 including utilities. But no more helpers or massages.  If I had to choose between which place to live full time I would pick the Philippines as the stress level is a lot lower and there is always things going on at my house there and my family treat me like a king and you wont find that in Canada

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

What cost are you paying for this insurance bob, and do you pay it monthly or annually

Unfortunately, my insurance is called the Public Service Health Care Plan - I'm sure you caught the Pubic Service part?  So, regardless what I pay, most people cannot get my plan.  The administrators are Sun Life so if you check their website, you may find something similar though I don't know the diff or the cost between them.  For those who have health care through their work, check to see if you can carry your plan over after retirement...  That is how I got mine - retired from the Armed Forces!  This will usually be a lower cost insurance.  Check with your banks, grocery stores, financial advisors - even the car companies are getting into insurance these days!  And, of course, you can always call an insurance company and ask them what they have to offer!

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
(Contrary to popular belief, in Canada, we pay out of pocket for dental, meds, optical supplies and some medical procedures.  Our government medical insurance only covers [most] doctor care, hospitalization and meds while in the hospital.)

Some people pay out of pocket for dental, meds, optical, and some med procedures but others, like myself, do not as we are covered for life from our former employer's plan. Even my non Canadian Filipina gets those things free when in Canada. It depends on what company that you worked for in Canada.

I have travel insurance from my former employer for $80/year up to 60 days each trip. If the medical treatment overseas will be more than the return air ticket, they will send you home to be covered under the free universal plan, OHIP, in my case.

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)
To combat this I wait for a sale and buy lots of that item.  I live 6 months in Canada and 6 months in the Phils and I feel it is still cheaper in the Philippines, But the gap is shrinking as a lot of things in the Phils has gone up in price also.

I also stock up on sales to save costs. Metro often has buy 1 take 1 chicken, sausages, and Maple Leaf bacon.In PI, there are no promos to speak of. Some of the things that are expensive in PI compared to Canada are cooking oil, milk, cheese, Heinz ketchup, peanut butter, jam, nuts, mayo, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, make-up, laundry supplies, tools, voltage converters, electricity, gashul, TVs, beef, pork (no fat), and more. Other things like light switches, gate locks, and door passage sets do not last but a few years.

Edited by jpbago

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Insurance is so important in the Phils  I am not sure about other countrys but Canada has excellent private health insurance

I use http://www.travelunderwriters.com/corporate/en/partnerwithus/claimsservice.shtml  about 2 bucks a day for travel  with 5 million CAN coverage and they will go up to 1 year policy before you need to go back in person to renew ... This will save your life without breaking the bank

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
about 2 bucks a day for travel with 5 million CAN coverage and they will go up to 1 year policy before you need to go back in person to renew ... This will save your life without breaking the bank

Will they not accept renewals any other way?  Must be in person?