Philippine Living Vs The Old Country

i am bob
Posted
Posted

We have lots of people weighing in on whether or not they could survive on $800, $1000 or even $50,000 a month. But that leaves me wondering about something and so I am going to ask. How were you living before moving to the Philippines? Are you living the same life style? Better? Worse? How much does this cost in relation to what you paid for at home?

An example? How's this:

In Canada, I lived in a batchelor apartment in the basement of a house. I had no money for socializing and so stayed home. All for a measly $20,000 a month. I could barely keep myself fed and forget about having a car. Here in the Philippines and for less than P100 a month, my new 25 year old wife - a former Miss Philippines - and I live in a small mansion on the shores of our private island and eat nothing but mango and chutney imported from England. We have to make due with Italian sparking wine over Champagne as we couldn't find the number on our cellphone to order with. Our new jet...

Ok, so maybe it's a little exaggerated but I think it shows what I would love to know. Anybody can live on X number of dollars but how do they live on it? How did they live on it before they came to the Philippines? And how do you get gravy stains out of coloured shirts? Just thought I would ask....

:morning1:

• Like 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Previous attempts to make one-to-one comparisons have never been accurate. Lifestyle changes are inevitable when moving from North America to the Philippines. The example is bread vs. rice. If you are able to substitute rice for bread, the result is a lower cost because rice as a staple is subsidized by the government. If you insist on quality whole grain bread, then your budget for this one item may have to increase. My personal experience is fish and shellfish tends to be more expensive in the United States. I end up consuming more meat. The reverse is true for the Philippines. Fish and shellfish are more abundant and seems cheaper than meat, whether local or imported. Chicken is about the same.

Public transportation in the Philippine is cheaper and more abundant. Well, there is a great risk to your life and limbs because the safety standards of jeepneys and buses is much lower than public transportation in North America. The maintenance costs for a motor vehicle are about the same. The per liter cost for gasoline in the Philippines seems higher, but you don't drive as much.

It would be interesting if someone does an in depth study.

• Like 5

miguelsp
Posted
Posted (edited)
well depends on what you mean by quality of life

May be we can stablish a criteria based in comparing with other country. I don´t have enough experience in the Phillipinas to rank some criteria.

Example: http://www.expatexplorer.hsbc.com/

Philippines:(over 10 points)

-Healthcare:4

-

Finding accommodation : 6

-

Local weather: 7

-Making Friends: 8

-

Enjoying local food: 5

-

Using the local language: 2

-Etc

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
  • Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
well depends on what you mean by quality of life

May be we can stablish a criteria based in comparing with other country. I don´t have enough experience in the Phillipinas to rank some criteria.

Example: http://www.expatexplorer.hsbc.com/

Philippines:(over 10 points)

-Healthcare:4

-

Finding accommodation : 6

-

Local weather: 7

-Making Friends: 8

-

Enjoying local food: 5

-

Using the local language: 2

-Etc

I notice that making friends is very important to you. As a professional photographer, I have no doubt that

you will have many friends (especially females) as you explore with your camera.

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Excellent question Bob! With my current financial status of receiving military pension and social security

retirement, we are barely floating from month to month living here in southern California.

If Judy and I decide to live in PI permanently, we would like to think we could gain a luxury that was never

achieved before. And that is the luxury of having a simple savings account. Even with a budget of $2,000

a month (80,000 pesos), I believe we could still deposit an additional $500 monthly into a savings account.

Haven't you moved yet?!!! :)

OK, what are the adjustments or sacrifices living in PI? This should apply to most of us (senior citizens):

personal and family security

security of personal property

health issues and proper medical coverage

adapting to strange cultures and customs

failure to adapt strange cultures and customs

extended family issues

There are additional costs for VISA and such (but not for you if I have understood corect.).

Basically, I will leave old problems in the states, only to acquire a new set of problems. Do you have the

personality to go with the flow -- mental and physical health well enough to make those adjustments?

Do you have enough patience to start a new relationship if the first one failed, or the second?

But I have the personality to stay out of the flow :hystery:

living with no neighbours around. Easier to ignore gossipers and such if don't see them mostly :)

I don't need many friends, so I have no problem if there are just few good ones around. But some harder when having wife and children to think of too. They can be more sensitive.

My ultimate dream: with my companion by my side......watching the sunset as well as the sunrise.

Well. I include trying to get a nice sunset view, when I look for a suiting place to build house,

but if watching at sunRISE it will have to be BEFORE I go to sleep :hystery: because I want to sleep in the mornings. So I will aim at trying to get nice views in north and west, but probably trying to get covering forest in south and east.

• Like 4