Getting Ready To Leave

Will
Posted
Posted

Yesterday was the last day of our two day moving sale. Sold almost everything, only a few items left. The coming week, airline tickets,finish with balikbayan boxes & send, close on the sale of the house, have sold items picked up (furniture, vehicles). Then, TA!TA! US, see you in the funny papers!

Ive seen a few a few members talking about mail forwarding. What would be the best way to have this, but we dont really want to have a "forwarding" address (ie tracking info). Any ideas?

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Congrats and making great progress in preparation for the move.

If you submit an official change of address to the post office then all those who send you mail can request change of address of information so their mail can continue to reach you. Mostly those organizations asking for donations are the ones who use that service.

You can have the USPS forward your mail to another address for up to 6 months. This is not an official change of address so no organization that sends you mail will know about the new address.

What I am doing is setting up a new mailing address with a mail forwarding service, doing the temporary USPS mail forwarding for 6 months, then only tell those organizations and people who need to know my new address. When the USPS mail forwarding ends you have cut all ties to those who have your old mailing address except for the ones you explicitly informed of the new address.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Congratulations Will!!!!!! :cheersty: :cheers: :540:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

No one having family left in the old country, who can handle mail forwarding when necesary??

I will have contact with my family anyway, so they can tell me what arrive. Then I can decide if they open or not and:

/Forward

/Scan and email

/or throw away.

• Like 2

Will
Posted
Posted

Thanks for that info guys, exactly what I needed.... been running around like a chicken with its head cut off!!

@ Thomas- No, no family here to assign that task to.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Congrats Will!

Definitely a nice Christmas present you are giving yourselves! :28:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Mail forwarding is one of the most important aspects of moving overseas and best done beforehand. Banks mail ATM/credit cards, it would be real hard to live here w/o one, at least for me. Also legal docs, etc, etc.

• Like 2

Bil Brock
Posted
Posted

At least banking can be done online. I sign up for paperless statements with bank & credit cards. Pay CC's online from bank account. Seems to work well.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

At least banking can be done online. I sign up for paperless statements with bank & credit cards. Pay CC's online from bank account. Seems to work well.

I have done the same with my USA accounts.

I now have both a peso and USD ATM account with BPI. Then I signed up for an online account. This morning for the first time I was able to move money from the USD account to the peso account online. BPI's best exchange rate is for online transfers, I got 40.89 today.

I wrote a personal check from my US bank to add additional funds to the USD account last week. The check cleared my bank in just 1 day but BPI will make me wait 30 days before I can use the money.

• Like 3