Rent Or Buy

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Rule number one living in Philippines. Keep your wealth and business dealings outside Philippines.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Rule number one living in Philippines. Keep your wealth and business dealings outside Philippines.

Wonderful golden rule. As far as everyone is concerned, you are living on a budget. Whether you wish to disclose the amount or not is up to you. How you receive the income (social security, pension, annuity, investment, rental income, etc.) is no one's business.

• Like 2

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

I have already purchased my home some years ago and I like the location and I'm quite confident in my relationship, however, knowing what I know now and having it to do over again, I would rent for a year or so and give myself the opportunity to check out other islands and areas. This is not at all to say I'm unhappy with my home, location or area, I just wish I would have done some more exploring once I lived there on a full time basis. In other words I didn't have the advantage of all the great knowledge and advice I have received on this forum prior to making the decision to buy. These guys here can tell you exactly what you need to know and then you can make an informed decision based on that knowledge and your personal choices.

• Like 4

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

I built our home after being here for a while and do not have very much invested, the land belonges to my wife , titled to her by her grandfather, she already had a small home, but not room to add on, i did have all the legal stuff prepaired for her, surveys and titles so it is hers and my son, what it cost me to build the house is about the same as if i were renting for say 10 years, and i hate rent, it is money down the tubes, if we seperate i would rather her and the boy have the house than a hand full of rent receipts, one thing do not buy a new home in a subdivision i have had offers to buy houses in gated subdivisions for half the new price from those leaving or moving to a differant place, you can always find a bargan, if you are sharp on building or know someone you trust, building is fine on leased land

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

IMHO the Filipinos build to live in, Unlike a western attitude, they do not look to a profit from a resale. This is the main and to me, most important part of my Wife designing a house that she wanted, she and our Daughter will live there long after I am gone, as an only Child of this Union, our Daughter will inherit All, we took her points of view into consideration when my wife designed the interior, Dumaguete is and I guess will always be Home to my wife's Family, so I had no negative thoughts on Building. I agree with Okieboy, rent is wasted money. Sub Divisions are to me like a Council Estate ( government housing.) is in the UK, You just never know who will move next door. our lot is about 60 meters from the nearest neighbour on one side and about 35 meters the other way.

Lately i hear and read of some nightmare stories about Renting, Bad Landlords, no maintenance and the like. Over the last 15 years I have moved every 18 months or so, NO more, better to have built as we are doing and then it is done.

:tiphat:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
.One good thing here there is not much planning permission needed like in the u.k .

You are joking of Course Tiger,

my Building Permit took over 8 weeks to obtain, changes forced by The City Engineer were just some times so Unreal.

Cant't have the Kitchen Sink there ( Too Close to the Refrigerator). The WC is too close to the Shower step. ( you might fall when you stand up.)

Kitchen back door must open Out 9 Onto a Concrete Base 1 mtr wide.

The list would go one but I have to go soon, to see what the problem with the Circuit board is, Apparently I applied for a 6 trip unit and have installed-an 8 trip unit. 1%20(103).gif

just can't win, safety first i thought BUT it was not in the Wiring plan. :morning1:

JP :tiphat:

just as a note,5 sets of plans were needed. City Engineer, City Hall Surveyors, Fire department. Water Company. and Electric Companybelieve it ir believe it not, the BIR asked for a set too for Taxation purposes.

tiger31
Posted
Posted
.One good thing here there is not much planning permission needed like in the u.k .

You are joking of Course Tiger,

my Building Permit took over 8 weeks to obtain, changes forced by The City Engineer were just some times so Unreal.

Cant't have the Kitchen Sink there ( Too Close to the Refrigerator). The WC is too close to the Shower step. ( you might fall when you stand up.)

Kitchen back door must open Out 9 Onto a Concrete Base 1 mtr wide.

The list would go one but I have to go soon, to see what the problem with the Circuit board is, Apparently I applied for a 6 trip unit and have installed-an 8 trip unit. 1%20(103).gif

just can't win, safety first i thought BUT it was not in the Wiring plan. :morning1:

JP :tiphat:

just as a note,5 sets of plans were needed. City Engineer, City Hall Surveyors, Fire department. Water Company. and Electric Companybelieve it ir believe it not, the BIR asked for a set too for Taxation purposes.

jack you don,t need planning permission if you don,t tell them ,thats one thing i learned here if you get the city hall involved its a nightmare .I built an extension in the u.k on my house 10 years ago nobody came to check coz i never told them its on the back of my house lol I since found out that the planning laws have been relaxed now

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
jack you don,t need planning permission if you don,t tell them ,thats one thing i learned here if you get the city hall involved its a nightmare .I built an extension in the u.k on my house 10 years ago nobody came to check coz i never told them its on the back of my house lol

Tiger, I get your Point BUT, I think some power crazy Barangay official, may just notice, this house on land, that used to be a Garden Nursery.

post-2148-0-07349300-1356585591_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-27624800-1356585607_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-99524700-1356585624_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-99665900-1356585645_thumb.jp

No way, could I have kept this Quiet, Too many Palms to Grease, I think :unsure: maybe, I will get a way with a Dirty Kitchen and a Maids Room, round the back :thumbsup:

• Like 3

tiger31
Posted
Posted
jack you don,t need planning permission if you don,t tell them ,thats one thing i learned here if you get the city hall involved its a nightmare .I built an extension in the u.k on my house 10 years ago nobody came to check coz i never told them its on the back of my house lol

Tiger, I get your Point BUT, I think some power crazy Barangay official, may just notice, this house on land, that used to be a Garden Nursery.

No way, could I have kept this Quiet, Too many Palms to Grease, I think :unsure: maybe, I will get a way with a Dirty Kitchen and a Maids Room, round the back :thumbsup:

your just showing off now jack hahahahaha
  • Like 2

tiger31
Posted
Posted

he the captain won,t be happy coz you got a gigger mansion than him hahahahah
  • Like 2