Sending Money To Help Your Family

GregZ
Posted
Posted

It does not matter how much that you send....they will spend it and not save it. Money burns a hole in their pockets.

In their culture, their mindset is only live and worry about today for tomorrow may not come. This mindset was engrained in them from birth so you will never change it no matter what you say or do.

I am a bit offended for our hosts by these comments.  These are broad generalizations and not necessarily true.  If they are then I can say the people from the United States are raised in a culture of excess and waste.  They are all spoiled and on welfare.  There is nothing you can do to change that.  I don't believe that either.  Not ALL are that way but you have those that do match the generalization.  All people are individuals and each one reacts to their situation in their own way. 

Most people have a hole in their pocket for money to fall through.  Sometimes it takes a little experience and education to learn things.  I ran into that before; people suddenly getting money have a tendency to spend it all and then end up with nothing again.  Like lottery winners usually do.  And also people with good high paying jobs tend to live to their means without reserving for the future.  When you get that raise why not bank it and keep living on the same income?  This is NOT a cultural thing.  This is a human thing.

Only with a return of the shortage sometimes will people learn to save for the future.  Others know how to save and squirrel money away without anyone knowing.  Very smart as they keep taking more.  Yet others simply need a well formed conversation so they understand that there is a limited supply unless you can print it like some governments do. :hystery:

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Changing Pesos to United States $? I've not done it, but may have the need in the near future.  Any tips, tricks, pitfalls from you 'thinkers' or experienced in this matter?  Anything wrong with selling them myself?  Obviously I would like to get the best rate possible.   It matters if the amount is P300,000.

I am a bit offended for our hosts by these comments.  These are broad generalizations and not necessarily true. 

Don't worry about exchanging 300,000p to US dollars. Leave it with the family. They won't spend it.

• Like 3

chriseleanor
Posted
Posted

sends about 100,000 yen a month about 1000 australian ,they live in manila ,one girl 26 works ,one 23 looking 4 work and one 17 at school,and that money is not enough,

I don't want to, but I am compelled to ask why that is not enough?  I just moved out of Manila, Pasay, condo with a pool and weight room.  We were 2 people with cable tv and all bills paid including food for us WITH air conditioning & hot water and visitors for 30,000 peso / month.  We spent another 10,000 on discretionary things like going out to eat and other entertainment.  They are getting 40,000 with 3 people and 1 has additional income.  The numbers don't add up to me.  Am I missing something?? :photo-109:

hi there,well yes you must be missing some thing,i thought it was a lot of money to untill i went and saw 4 my self,and there are things i missed out as well,  the 40,000 is spent om 3 peoples food ,rent, two at collage,cloths ,school ,every thing,  they live is las pinas city,and its not cheep there,the additional income is not helping much,and the 40,000 is just average as well ,some times she has to send more if some thing unexpected pops up,   i saw how they live and it is in no way  axesive beleave me,  may be i am missing some thing.

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Don't worry about exchanging 300,000p to US dollars. Leave it with the family. They won't spend it.

hi there,well yes you must be missing some thing,i thought it was a lot of money to untill i went and saw 4 my self,and there are things i missed out as well,  ...

Thanks chris for the thoughtful reply, unlike jp being a jerk. Whatever you are happy with is good. Sounds like you have a fair assessment and accurate picture.. ;)
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

In their culture, their mindset is only live and worry about today for tomorrow may not come. This mindset was engrained in them from birth so you will never change it no matter what you say or do.

Well. It isn't suprising MOST Filipins don't think more ahead, because the most poor are occupied with trying to survive day to day, so they don't get much chance to practise thinking far ahead. But I know some exceptions.

(E g one 27 year old Filipina from a big poor farming family, the family farm is in a swamp, can't even drive the last kilometer with tricycle. Half the family don't have work, except during peaks in farm work, the other half is away working hard in Manila. Besides being part of the supporters to the unemployed part of the family, she has managed to buy land (one irrigated hectare land paid, one other hectare partly paid last I heared, perhaps fully paid now, because she planned to skip vacation last New years leave to pay the last).  So now/soon she has managed to save to as much land - but better because irrigated - as her family have!

But she is Scorpio woman. Many of them are some crazy concerning pushing themselves to hard, when not needing to too, commonly not let husbands rests much either, so I have some doubts I dare to marry one  :mocking:   (I know it's common among Scorpio women, because one of my sisters, and both my grandmothers is/were Scorpios.)

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
And also people with good high paying jobs tend to live to their means without reserving for the future. When you get that raise why not bank it and keep living on the same income? This is NOT a cultural thing. This is a human thing.
Yes.

(E g I mostly spend in average just around what is counted as "existense minimum" in Sweden, back when I earned as most too during the 80-ties, although I had "all" as e g cars, vacation house, billiard, small boat, but cheap ones. But then I had money saved, so I could buy things in advance, anytime I saw something cheap, which reduce the average cost much. (E g buy winter clothes in the spring/summer :)  to use in future winters.) So I don't believe I will get any big problem to live permanently for low cost in RP - IF my future wife will think similar...  :lol:

Swedish TV show a serie about people, who are in dept traps by loaning much through expensive interest credit cards. A few of them have had bad luck, but many of them earn MUCH, but have spend much more than they can afford anyway!!! "Braindead", not even managing 1st graders mathematics plus and minus... :1 (103): 

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
the 40,000 is spent om 3 peoples food ,rent, two at collage,cloths ,school ,every thing, they live is las pinas city,and its not cheep there,the additional income is not helping much,and the 40,000 is just average as well ,some times she has to send more if some thing unexpected pops up, i saw how they live and it is in no way axesive beleave me, may be i am missing some thing.
Yes, but why do they live in an expensive place, when they can't afford it, I mean without you??  :)   

40 000 plus the other salary is MUCH more than average Filipin families live of...

(In province after settle, I expect I will manage to live ok with wife and 2-3 kids in a rather big house and have car for around 40 000p/month. (Not counting travels to see my family in Sweden once a year or so, and not counting if Filipin family need assistance, but it will be just "Help-to-self-help" except perhaps to her parents.) And that includes the extra costs foreigners have for VISA and such.  As told, I haven't done it myself, but some other foreigners do...)

chriseleanor
Posted
Posted

the 40,000 is spent om 3 peoples food ,rent, two at collage,cloths ,school ,every thing, they live is las pinas city,and its not cheep there,the additional income is not helping much,and the 40,000 is just average as well ,some times she has to send more if some thing unexpected pops up, i saw how they live and it is in no way axesive beleave me, may be i am missing some thing.
Yes, but why do they live in an expensive place, when they can't afford it, I mean without you??  :)   

40 000 plus the other salary is MUCH more than average Filipin families live of...

(In province after settle, I expect I will manage to live ok with wife and 2-3 kids in a rather big house and have car for around 40 000p/month. (Not counting travels to see my family in Sweden once a year or so, and not counting if Filipin family need assistance, but it will be just "Help-to-self-help" except perhaps to her parents.) And that includes the extra costs foreigners have for VISA and such.  As told, I haven't done it myself, but some other foreigners do...)

thomas,you are not understanding ,where can they go to collage in the province,there mother is putting them through a very good collage in las pinas city,and yes she was doing it all on her owne long befor i came on the seen ,rember they were and are 3 young kids,2 girls and a young boy,living alone in the philippines,they need a garded area to live ,and thomas you say you havent done it your self,then you are in for a big shock then ,good luck,

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Are you planning to live like the "average Filipino family"? If so, you'll be ok.

chriseleanor
Posted
Posted

Are you planning to live like the "average Filipino family"? If so, you'll be ok.

i spose she could have them live at the sqatters camps that would be cheep,[some people have no idea]

• Like 1