Sending Money To Help Your Family

Thomas
Posted
Posted

40 000 plus the other salary is MUCH more than average Filipin families live of...

Are you planning to live like the "average Filipino family"? If so, you'll be ok.

Well. I don't know what you count as "average Filipino family", but a big part earn only 7000p at full time jobs...

(And many earn less, even with full time jobs, many employers don't follow the Law about minimum salaries. E g I know

one Filipina WITH university exam (Finance) working full time in a Pawn shop earning only HALF of what the minimum salary law says (Cebu city)

and an other work full time in a restaurant geting only 140p/day, 200 if she work extra (small city in Misamis).

In average I use around only 40 000p/month in Sweden, although I have a 6 rooms villa, and only the heating cost around 200 000p/year. So I don't believe it's impossible  :)   to live OK at such sum in RP (although I aim at earning at least 70 000p/month.)

Thomas
Posted
Posted
thomas,you are not understanding ,where can they go to collage in the province,there mother is putting them through a very good collage in las pinas city

Well. There are Colleges in many provinces too, but I don't know the quality of them. (I'm not impressed by the quality of University Business education in Manila either, the math level is at Swedish 14 years old level) so - except if they aim at a work type which demands exam (as e g doctor) then I don't find many higher educations worth the cost, many WITH high exams DON'T get jobs in  RP anyway, end up going abroad becoming maids or such...

I think better assist them start own business for the money, then they get jobs - at least for a while  :)

she was doing it all on her owne long befor i came on the seen ,rember they were and are 3 young kids,2 girls and a young boy,living alone in the philippines,they need a garded area to live ,and thomas you say you havent done it your self,then you are in for a big shock then ,good luck,

Why do you have to pay almost all then, if they managed themselves earlier?  :)

Well. Most Filipinas live in NOT guarded areas. (E g the Pawn shop working Filipina, I wrote about above.)

If living in a village, neighbours normaly look after each other...

Concerning shock - E g one of my friends from back in school live in Sweden for the moment to give his kids better education, but earlier he lived cheap rural in RP, and he plan to move back there in a year or so. And some forum members have told they can live rather cheap.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I don't know what you count as "average Filipino family", but a big part earn only 7000p at full time jobs

Thomas, you first used that phase, I was quoting your post. There are not many foreigners living as locals do, at least in the province where I live. I'm sure there are some but I don't know of any and I'm not just talking about forsaking a/c and hot water but private schools and college. That is not an option for me. I avoid debates on monthly budgets because I think they're mostly a waste of time. Everyone's situation is different and we all have our priorities. I wish you the best with your plans.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I don't know what you count as "average Filipino family", but a big part earn only 7000p at full time jobs

Thomas, you first used that phase, I was quoting your post. There are not many foreigners living as locals do, at least in the province where I live. I'm sure there are some but I don't know of any and I'm not just talking about forsaking a/c and hot water but private schools and college. That is not an option for me. I avoid debates on monthly budgets because I think they're mostly a waste of time. Everyone's situation is different and we all have our priorities. I wish you the best with your plans.

Sorry I missread your post some, because you confused me  :)   by talking about me living at their level.

40 000 plus the other salary is MUCH more than average Filipin families live of...

Are you planning to live like the "average Filipino family"? If so, you'll be ok.

I'm NOT planning to try to live at 7000p  :)  but aiming at 40 000p.

I mean AFTER I have settled. During the settling I will need more, because it cost to much to transport all "home things" all the way from Sweden, so I get rid of most and will need to get new in RP.

GregZ
Posted
Posted
I'm NOT planning to try to live at 7000p :) but aiming at 40 000p.

After getting set up I could live in the province for 30,000 a month, Cebu for 35,000 and Manila for 45,000.  This is comfortable for ME.

I routinely am visiting in the province, currently live in Cebu City and WAS in Manila for 6 months.  These numbers are for ME and the WAY I LIVE, but they give a good relative comparison of the cost variance you will find between different locations. 

WHY so much variance?  The biggest savings for me at MY province location is NO A/C required because of elevation. Otherwise I would only save 2-3k a month because I have certain standards I won't go below even though I eat grilled chicken heads now.  There is increase in transportation requirements that will offset savings.  Also, in Cebu City I am fine with the off-air tv broadcast; in the province I would probably pay a satellite bill and avoid watching a fuzzy screen.

Basically you are paying for conveniences when you move into the city.  The move from Cebu to Manila is a big jump of 15% or more on some items over Cebu City.  Plus there are additional costs that occur just because things are more available so they TAKE money.  Cebu is relatively small if you compare it to Manila and there are a lot more things to do in Manila all taking money and normally MORE MONEY because you will have to travel further to get to them.

• Like 2