So What Planted The Seed For You?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

All of the above! The big one for me was that medical costs are completely out of control in the U.S. with no end in sight. Retiring at age 56 was not an option if I stayed in the U.S. If you want to retire early and stay in the U.S., you need a really big next egg!

• Like 5

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

same here stevewool it dont matter where you die its the time that you spend in a place you love and with a woman you love that counts

• Like 5

Will
Posted
Posted

same here stevewool it dont matter where you die its the time that you spend in a place you love and with a woman you love that counts

Kinda reminds me of a song lyric:

"Can't take it with you when you're gone,

but I want enough to get there on...."

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
All of the above! The big one for me was that medical costs are completely out of control in the U.S. with no end in sight. Retiring at age 56 was not an option if I stayed in the U.S. If you want to retire early and stay in the U.S., you need a really big next egg!

I like Hawaii. We have the sun, sea, surf and sand. It reminds you of the Philippines without the pollution, traffic, heat, noise, humidity, filth, etc. My wife and I did the math and there is enough for a modest, comfortable lifestyle as independent seniors. As mentioned by OnMyWay, the problem is cost for healthcare.

If you hire caregivers from a placement agency for in-home care, the cost is $350 a day, $10,500 a month, $126,000 a year. That is for two caregivers - 12 hours shifts. Medicare does not reimburse for custodial care. The comparative cost in the Philippines is $50 a day, $1,500 a month, $18,000 a year. In Hawaii, you don't need a high school diploma for eight weeks training to receive a state certificate. In the Philippines, the caregivers are registered nurses receiving P1,000 ($25) for a twelve hours shifts. This is good pay because each of three nurses needed will be paid P20,000 a month in my budget. Bruce will tell you government hired nurses are lucky if they receive P12,000 a month.

Here's the best part. Because of the cost difference in the standard of living, my wife and I can have a comfortable life with caregiver services using the same budget as independent seniors. After doing the numbers, I realized there is a tremendous business opportunity in providing Americans with overseas retirement care in the Philippines.

Philippines is part of my contingency plans. I won't relocate except for medical reasons. It will probably be long stay programs like one or two months every year.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 5

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

Simple mathematics for me.

If i remained in Australia i just could not afford to stop working

i think thats the world over at this moment, who can afford to stop working

Being a business owner, subject to the 'wonderful' economy, I could NOT AFFORD to keep working. So, ditch the business, live on pension and investments. I guess that is why I planned on retiring at 39 since I was 20. :540:

REFERENCE ORIGINAL POST: No seed here... a sledge hammer or my friend EVERY day TELLING me to talk to this 'girl' in the Philippines. My head hurt so bad I finally gave in to find that HE WAS RIGHT and pretty much EVERYTHING about the Philippines is a match for me. I started talking to her and reading about the Philippines in November 2011, came over April 2012 and am staying until the visa is straight for us to travel together to the USA for "a while" then see where we end up. :cheersty:

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Ynot
Posted
Posted

For me it was not disillusionment with Australia, but a number of factors!  Being married to a Thai and experiencing life in Thailand, divorcing a Thai and still enjoying the visits to Thailand, and a realisation that when I retire, I can enjoy a better lifestyle in Thailand or the Philippines more so than Austraia thanks to having gone through a divorce.  I tend to think had I not been divorced, I still would of ended up retiring overseas. No matter where i live overseas, i will always return to Aus to say hello to friends and family, but I am committed now to the Philippines because of my girl!!!

• Like 3