A Us National Shot A Fiscal Inside The Palace Of Justice

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Police said they were investigating Pope's background.

Local media mentioned Pope in 2011, when he was held by police on charges of illegal possession of firearms. The same physician who was killed in Tuesday's shooting accused Pope, his neighbour, of brandishing a weapon and threatening him and other residents in their condominium.

Pope was quoted as saying at the time that the pistol he was carrying was for self-defence. Apart from illegal weapons possession, he was also charged with malicious mischief and grave threats.

I guess he was right about being threatened. Sounds almost like a case of oneupmanship between the doc and Pope and they both lost.

Edit: quote is from http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/01/21/john-pope-canadian-philippines-shooting-court-cebu_n_2523480.html

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Pope must of been guilty of the charges as he did the same thing again but this time killing people. Just another fruit cake and we wonder why things like a police clearance is supposedly required for a 13A.

Note

Lets not turn the topic into a right to own guns.

• Like 4

Okieboy
Posted
Posted
Not sure how this relates to the topic but that is old, old OLD legislation that was repealed in 1996. See the post about it here:
still on the books at the Philippine consulate Sydney as of today
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
still on the books at the Philippine consulate Sydney as of today

Better show the silly old buggers the law I linked you to. There are a lot of guys who would leave here if they could not get their Folgers in the morning. :morning1:

• Like 1

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

That and real 2% milk are my western living vices lol..ok maybe a USDA ribeye on occasion too

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

What the heck is going on with all the Canadians going nuts lately?

First we have at least 2 Canadians as members of the terrorist team that attacked that refinery and now this?

I wish to apologize on behalf of myself and my fellow Canadians who look on these morons for what they are - cowards!

Bob, I am not sure what to make of your comment. There are Canadians (yes, yes, Canuks are included, my sister in law is a franco phone) and then there are those who may hold Canadian citizenship due to some misguided program about taking in 'refugees' from some areas of the plant with too much sand and not enough good solid growing soil.

The two 'Canadians' as terrorists you mentioned, were they ice hockey loving true Canadians? You know the type... real polite people? I have my doubts. eh? I sure do miss that show with Paul Gross, he looked so nice in his uniform. Due South I believe it was called.

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

The following common items are classified as prohibited items and are not allowed to be brought into the Philippines:

• Onions, potatoes, garlic and cabbages
  • Coffee
  • Used clothing and rags
  • Toy guns

Not sure how this relates to the topic but that is old, old OLD legislation that was repealed in 1996. See the post about it here:

http://www.philippin...fee/#entry34375

The link to the Republic Act you sent will not load for me. it times out.

Americano
Posted
Posted

CEBU CITY -- A US national shot a fiscal inside the Palace of Justice at the Provincial Capitol Tuesday morning, a radio report said.

Hours before his inquest, a certain American man named John Pope (full name still to be verified) shot Fiscal Maria Theresa Calibogan Casiño in the third floor of the Palace of Justice around 8 a.m.

Casiño was immediately rushed to the hospital while the shooter, although still breathing, is still inside the Palace of Justice.

Cariño is less than a year serving as fiscal in Cebu.

The suspect allegedly shot himself after shooting the fiscal with a .38 caliber revolver. As of this posting, the shooter is still inside the Palace of Justice while emergency response is on their way.

It was reported that the foreigner is set for inquest for charges of illegal possesion of firearms today.

Police are still investigating how the foreigner was able to enter the premises with a firearm amid tight security. (Sunnex)

There's no metal detector and no one searches you or what you are carrying for a gun so why would anyone be surprised when a gun is brought into the Palace of Justice. When I went there no one checked my ID, searched me or asked me if I had a weapon.

The occupants of the building should be thankful that he was only carrying a .38 caliber revolver and not wearing a bomb around his body which would have killed and wounded many more people. I'm sure someone will say yes but bombs are illegal but it was illegal for him to carry and use a gun too but that didn't stop him. And, in case you don't know, bombs can be bought on the Black Market in the Philippines. Just add to it some steel like ball bearings, nuts or nails and you have a very lethal weapon like the Muslim terrorist like to use.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

CEBU CITY -- A US national shot a fiscal inside the Palace of Justice at the Provincial Capitol Tuesday morning,

There are so many dual citizenships these days that I take nationality in the newspaper with a grain of salt. If he was Canadian, so what, I am proud there are not too many Canadian loonies but we do have some. Of course they all immigrated from some other country :morning1:

Bob, I am not sure what to make of your comment. There are Canadians (yes, yes, Canuks are included, my sister in law is a franco phone) and then there are those who may hold Canadian citizenship due to some misguided program about taking in 'refugees' from some areas of the plant with too much sand and not enough good solid growing soil.

The two 'Canadians' as terrorists you mentioned, were they ice hockey loving true Canadians? You know the type... real polite people? I have my doubts. eh? I sure do miss that show with Paul Gross, he looked so nice in his uniform. Due South I believe it was called.

I just heard on the news (CBC) that apparently this guy was born in the US and obtained Canadian citizenship while working as a reporter for Canadian news services. So the original post was correct - he was an American though he entered the Philippines on his Canadian passport. As for what Dave said? So very true. It's becoming a very small Blue Marble we live on and nationalities are hard to separate all the time. And Bruce? I don't know if Minnesota would qualify as some part of the world with too much sand. Though Paul Gross did make a good Mountie, I like his dog better. He's had another series since - Men With Brooms. Not housekeeping but curling. Only in Canada!

:rolleyes:

Bruce
Posted
Posted
I just heard on the news (CBC) that apparently this guy was born in the US and obtained Canadian citizenship while working as a reporter for Canadian news services. So the original post was correct - he was an American though he entered the Philippines on his Canadian passport. As for what Dave said? So very true. It's becoming a very small Blue Marble we live on and nationalities are hard to separate all the time. And Bruce? I don't know if Minnesota would qualify as some part of the world with too much sand. Though Paul Gross did make a good Mountie, I like his dog better. He's had another series since - Men With Brooms. Not housekeeping but curling. Only in Canada!

Well that does explain a lot. If the guy was a US born and raised kind of guy... well everyone knows how violent 'we' are. How did he get Canadian citizenship... unless they lowered the standards...

There is a white guy out on Samar who everyone told me about because he has such a bad attitude to the locals. Canadian they all said he was. I finally met himand he is from Austria / Germany or close to it. But he worked for Canada for 20 + yrs and has a Canadian pension. I knew that if he really had such a bad attitude, he COULD'T be a Canadian!

• Like 2