Us Passport Questions

ducecoop
Posted
Posted

I will be retiring to the Philippines in a couple on months.

I will be living in Davao.

My current US Passport will expire in November of 2014

Should I get a new 10 passport before I go?

Is there any process for renewing a PAssport while actually living in PI or will it actually require a return trip to the US?

My arrival money will be limited (~$10,000 -- but not avaiable for deposit)

My monthly income will be around 800 to 1000 on Socila Security

THis will make a return trip "tight" on the budget

All though this is a rushed decision to move, I think I am up to speed on extensions and the need to leave the islands annually

tia

Dave

i am bob
Posted
Posted

You can renew your passport at the embassy when it is time.  No need to fly home.  The only thing I would question would be mailing your passport to the embassy.  I think I would rather take a trip to Manila - just to make sure my passport made it ok.  Others may disagree but I like to be safe on things like that.

From the web page for the US Embassy in Manila and listed as one of their services:

You may renew your passport with these instructions if all the following are true:

Your most recent U.S. passport:

Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
Was issued when you were age 16 or older
Was issued within the last 15 years
Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change

If any the above statements do NOT apply, you must appear personally before a consular officer:

You can find all the rest of the information here:

http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/passports/renewal.html

• Like 1

ducecoop
Posted
Posted

Thanks bob. That was a big help. I do not mind a trip to Manila since it would not be for 2 years and then not again for 10 more years.

You mentioned "issued within the last 15 years" but I think the passport is not valid for 10 years so are they saying the can renew an expired passport? (Whice actuall does me no good anyway since I willl need it stilll valid in those interviening years).

Do you know if this is a service that is provided by any of the branch offices (davao)?

Thanks again

Dave

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Unless I lived in, or near, Manila there is no way in hell I would go there just to renew a passport. The US Consulate in Cebu City will accept the fees and documents and send it or you can mail it direct to the embassy via courier. I think it still has to go to the State Dept in the US, new ones definitely do.

• Like 2

ducecoop
Posted
Posted

Unless I lived in, or near, Manila there is no way in hell I would go there just to renew a passport. The US Consulate in Cebu City will accept the fees and documents and send it or you can mail it direct to the embassy via courier. I think it still has to go to the State Dept in the US, new ones definitely do.

Will not be a new one.

Is there a US Consulate in Davao?

A flight to Cebu is forsure more desirable then a flight to Manila

Thanks

Dave

• Like 1

samatm
Posted
Posted

If you only have one year left , you should   take care of it now while still  in the US.   it will cost you less headaches and money now.  And you can ask for extra pages in your new pp but if you have them added  after the fact   it  will cost you an addl $80.00 plus the hassles and shippment  fee to Manila.    

Also Buy a round trip ticket  It doesn't sound li.ke you have really thought this step out yet.    $800 -  $1000 a month wont get you very far.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Is there a US Consulate in Davao?

No

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

are they saying they can renew an expired passport?

Yes, expired passports are renewable up until 15 years from the issue date... so 5 years expired.

I like the idea about a new passport with extra pages.  Easy for you to get there in USA now and then NO WORRIES for 10 years.  Act quick if you decide to do that one though.  Check the processing time before you send it to make sure it will get back before your flight.

I disagree about the round-trip ticket comment as I know you already have living arrangements made.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

$800 - $1000 a month wont get you very far.

NOT to be negative or criticize,, 

some members can "live" or survive on $800-$1000(40.000pisos) a month BUT

the key is TO budget and NOT TRY to live on a western lifestyle,

(and avoid the "supporting the family" or you will be broke& penniless before you know it ) :th_goodidea:

have you made 

PLAN A

Plan B and a backup?

are you FULLY AWARE THAT MEDICARE STOPS when you leave the USA?

please read many of the other topics before you think any further of moving here,

its NOT A BED OF ROSES living here if you not planned, ..

2. find the post of TRAVIS (or someone please post the link)

he spoke his mind of what he liked and disliked of living here..

Passport issue :th_goodidea:

yes before you leave get a new 10-yr passport w/extra pages

you will need them

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Please open a new topic if you want to discuss Travis' old post, this one pertains to "US Passport Questions". Thanks.

• Like 2