Us Passport Questions

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

If u dont get the round trip ticket you WILL need an outbound ticket of some kind or they won't let you board your flight to the Philippines.  Also,  does anyone know what happens if you get the new passport when you are here with your entry stamp or visa since it will be in your old passport?

• Like 1

ducecoop
Posted
Posted

If you only have one year left , you should   take care of it now while still  in the US.   it will cost you less headaches and money now.  And you can ask for extra pages in your new pp but if you have them added  after the fact   it  will cost you an addl $80.00 plus the hassles and shippment  fee to Manila.    

Also Buy a round trip ticket  It doesn't sound li.ke you have really thought this step out yet.    $800 -  $1000 a month wont get you very far.

It is almost 2 years remaining.

I am aware of the need for an "exit" ticket when I arrive. I will be getting a throwaway.

I am aware my income willl be minimal and dificult to get buy on. The main reason for deciding on Davao is that I will have family (decesed filipina wifes's family) there to fall back on.

You are correct - this was a quickly made decision that probably not been well thought out - but it is happening

Thanks

If u dont get the round trip ticket you WILL need an outbound ticket of some kind or they won't let you board your flight to the Philippines.  Also,  does anyone know what happens if you get the new passport when you are here with your entry stamp or visa since it will be in your old passport?

I wondedered about your second question also

I will wait for an answer on that before deciding to renew here before I go renew here but in the mean time I will check to see how fast an expided passport with extra pages will take to arrive if I get it here.

Thanks

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Once you get your new passport, take both to the BI office and they will stamp your new one with the appropriate dates installed - I believe there is a fee involved?

Something else I have heard from some friends but I didn't confirm because I am not American...  hehe!  You can turn your old passport in at the Consulate in Cebu but you still have to have the money taken to Manila?  Can anybody confirm this?

samatm
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not to be negative - BUT and I see lots of Buts here  on the scant information in front of me.   

No Money/  No Income  =s  not a good time.    I don't know the resources of your Filipino family but  they could very well be looking at you as their fall back on plan. 

Study the other budgeting threads here.   Even Your monthly Visa extension will take a nice bite out of your  32 -40 K  Pesos a month.   We don't want you to be another foreigner locked up in the hospital who cant pay his bills that the local Expat group passes a hat around for.

Food

Rent

utilitites

transpo

Visa

travel

Family support (what happens when mama comes to your needing cash for this medical or that emergency)

Medical Care

etc.

Really becareful.

@ Bob --- the  last  time I needed pages added to my pp i paid cash to  the Cebu US consulate and they delivered the pp to Manila and it was  Fedexd back to my  address.    I am assuming thats how  it works with a new pp as well.

Edited by samatm
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Something else I have heard from some friends but I didn't confirm because I am not American...  hehe!  You can turn your old passport in at the Consulate in Cebu but you still have to have the money taken to Manila?  Can anybody confirm this?

The Cebu Consulate collects the fees and docs and sends them to Manila, payment is not separate. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Don't forget though if you leave the country on a visa run or need to fly some where then normally 6 months has to be left on your passport. Seems easier to do it now and one less thing to think about for many years to come.

Department regulations require that passports are valid for a period of not less than six (6) months beyond the contemplated period of stay. However, Immigration Officers at ports of entry may exercise their discretion to admit holders of passports valid for at least sixty (60) days beyond the intended period of stay.

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=80

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Thanks guys!

I was talking to somebody about this a while back and they mentioned that they saw on another forum that they had to go to Manila with the money.  I checked that forum out yesterday before I put my post in and, yes, that is what they were saying.  I thought it was rather dumb to that is why I asked on here.  On the US Embassy website, I don't remember seeing anything about the consulate in Cebu regarding passports...

ducecoop
Posted
Posted

Not to be negative - BUT and I see lots of Buts here  on the scant information in front of me.   

No Money/  No Income  =s  not a good time.    I don't know the resources of your Filipino family but  they could very well be looking at you as their fall back on plan. 

Study the other budgeting threads here.   Even Your monthly Visa extension will take a nice bite out of your  32 -40 K  Pesos a month.   We don't want you to be another foreigner locked up in the hospital who cant pay his bills that the local Expat group passes a hat around for.

Food

Rent

utilitites

transpo

Visa

travel

Family support (what happens when mama comes to your needing cash for this medical or that emergency)

Medical Care

etc.

Really becareful.

@ Bob --- the  last  time I needed pages added to my pp i paid cash to  the Cebu US consulate and they delivered the pp to Manila and it was  Fedexd back to my  address.    I am assuming thats how  it works with a new pp as well.

San - everything you say is true (with one exception).

I will be living on very limited resourses.

I will be arriving with very limited cash up front.

I understand unexpected costs WILL come up.

it will not be an easy way of life - for sure

As for my wifes family. My wife was well placed in DGIL. All her brothers and sisters are either docters or engineers. I think they will be MY fall back plan, not the other way around.

Thanks

Dave

• Like 1

ducecoop
Posted
Posted

Don't forget though if you leave the country on a visa run or need to fly some where then normally 6 months has to be left on your passport. Seems easier to do it now and one less thing to think about for many years to come.

Department regulations require that passports are valid for a period of not less than six (6) months beyond the contemplated period of stay. However, Immigration Officers at ports of entry may exercise their discretion to admit holders of passports valid for at least sixty (60) days beyond the intended period of stay.

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=80

I went to the post office yesterday and I can get an EXPIDTED renewal with extra pages in 2 to 4 weeks. That is about my time frame anyway. I agree that is probably the best thing for me to do

Thanks

Dave

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Dave, you may have her family to fall back on but I would still recommend having some way to get back to the US if needed...  A credit card, line of credit at your old bank, anything to avoid a nasty time if things don't turn out and help isn't available.  Maybe your bank in the US could pre-approve you for an emergency loan if needed?