Fillipinas Travelling Out Of The Phils

Curley
Posted
Posted

Does anyone have a reliable source of info on or experience of single Fillipinas travelling abroad? I am going to retire in Colombia, South America and would like my Fillipina friend to come to live with me and probably get married if living together goes well. My girl is over 25 so no problems with parental permission.

Fillipinas can travel to Colombia and get a 90 days on arrival visa.

My big worry is that after all plans were made and ticket bought she would be stopped from boarding the flight by immigration.

Does anyone have reliable info on the likelyhood of that happening?

What happens to the money paid for the ticket? Is it treated as a no show and the money lost?

I have been told that she must get a flight that does not transit in the States or she will need a visa for the states which would be impossible I think.   True or not?

She has been to a large travel agency in Manila and they said "You must have a visa to go to Colombia because it's in America"!

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

A couple answers for you:

How long she can stay is 180 days.  http://colombia.visahq.ph/

If she gets a flight that stops in the US, she will definitely need a US Visa.  It doesn't matter if she gets off the plane or not - or if they are stopping for only fuel or to pick up more passengers, if the plane is scheduled to stop in the US at all for any reason, she needs that US Visa.  My ex-girlfriend from Taiwan who, when she came to Canada, had a stop for fuel in Detroit on her flight learned the hard way - denied boarding.  She had to rebook to fly to Vancouver and then on to Toronto with no US stops.  So as long as your girlfriend has a flight that does not stop in the US, then she should be fine.  I personally am not aware of any other country that will not let you land for fuelling  plane change, etc and demand a Visa to do so.  But I may be wrong so  DO check any countries her flight is scheduled to stop in  - it's better to be safe than sorry.  

Now as for needing a visa because Columbia is in America, that's just a travel agent who is not a travel agent - or at least they have no idea where they are going.  In other words - wrong! Oops...  Forgot my "GNNNNAAAHHHHHH!!!!" buzzer!  That's like saying the Philippines is a communist country.  Why?  Because China is communist and in Asia, and the Philippines are in Asia, so they must be communist too.  Where did I put that darn horn?

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Actually, the travel agent is correct. Colombia is the capital of South Carolina! :hystery: In the US.

As added piece of mind, and I have no idea of the costs, but is hiring an attorney just to walk her thru the gate an option?

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

There are many city's named ColUmbia in the USA. The country in South America is named ColOmbia.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are many city's named ColUmbia in the USA. The country in South America is named ColOmbia.

Sounds the same to the deaf..... and those who can't read..... :tiphat:

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 1

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

I would strongly recommend that you contact the Colombian Consolate Office around Manila. They do not have a web site. They do have a phone number and an email address. Its possible to google that information. There are actually only a few countries that allow philippine citizens entry without a visa. There are a few that allow entry with a visa on arrival. Most countries do require a transit visa. It is best to contact those countries Embassies or Consolate offices before paying for the ticket.

On some websites I have found information stating that a Philippine Citizen can stay in Colombia for up to 180 days. However the information on the Colombian Embassy in Malaysia website states only 90 days and allows for a pre approved multi visit up to 6 months or 180 days at a cost of around 50.00 usd.

As always this could be wrong. Rules and Regulations change sometimes slowly sometimes quickly.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I recommend getting a copy of the immigration exit form some (all??) filipino's have to fill out when they leave. There is a great deal of personal information needed including where they will be staying at their final destination and their financial resources. This is the form they have to fill out before receiving the exit visa stamp in their passport.

For my recent vacation to Singapore with my girlfriend I had to sign an affidavit stating that I would be responsible for her.

• Like 2

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

She will be denied if she doesn't have a return flight to the Philippines also.

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted

I recommend getting a copy of the immigration exit form some (all??) filipino's have to fill out when they leave. There is a great deal of personal information needed including where they will be staying at their final destination and their financial resources. This is the form they have to fill out before receiving the exit visa stamp in their passport.

For my recent vacation to Singapore with my girlfriend I had to sign an affidavit stating that I would be responsible for her.

Does anyone have a reliable source of info on or experience of single Fillipinas travelling abroad? I am going to retire in Colombia, South America and would like my Fillipina friend to come to live with me and probably get married if living together goes well. My girl is over 25 so no problems with parental permission.

Good idea earthdome, but go a bit further.  I believe the long pole in this tent is the EXIT from the Philippines.  Recommend the girl go to Philippine Bureau of Immigration office and ask them as that is who she has to pass to get on the plane.  Curley, you look to have the Columbia side covered.  The BI here should have all the Philippine requirements as they control the exit.  I do know that the Philippines has interview* requirements for pleasure travel abroad, but I don't know who does it NOR for what countries (besides the USA) it is required.

* please note I am NOT referring to interviews conducted by the target country such as the US Embassy does for a spouse or fiance visa into the USA

There are law offices here that specialize in getting folks out of the country legally.  If you like I can pick up a flyer from the good folks that pass them out at the St. Lukes Clinic here in Manila.  That is where all the visa applicants get their physicals.

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

A couple answers for you:

How long she can stay is 180 days.  http://colombia.visahq.ph/

If she gets a flight that stops in the US, she will definitely need a US Visa.  It doesn't matter if she gets off the plane or not - or if they are stopping for only fuel or to pick up more passengers, if the plane is scheduled to stop in the US at all for any reason, she needs that US Visa.  My ex-girlfriend from Taiwan who, when she came to Canada, had a stop for fuel in Detroit on her flight learned the hard way - denied boarding.  She had to rebook to fly to Vancouver and then on to Toronto with no US stops.  So as long as your girlfriend has a flight that does not stop in the US, then she should be fine.  I personally am not aware of any other country that will not let you land for fuelling  plane change, etc and demand a Visa to do so.  But I may be wrong so  DO check any countries her flight is scheduled to stop in  - it's better to be safe than sorry.  

Now as for needing a visa because Columbia is in America, that's just a travel agent who is not a travel agent - or at least they have no idea where they are going.  In other words - wrong! Oops...  Forgot my "GNNNNAAAHHHHHH!!!!" buzzer!  That's like saying the Philippines is a communist country.  Why?  Because China is communist and in Asia, and the Philippines are in Asia, so they must be communist too.  Where did I put that darn horn?

Good to see its now 180 days, this can be extended by signing up for spanish tuition and automatically getting a student visa. However my main concerns are...

My big worry is that after all plans were made and ticket bought she would be stopped from boarding the flight by immigration.

Does anyone have reliable info on the likelyhood of that happening?

What happens to the money paid for the ticket? Is it treated as a no show and the money lost?