Cebu As Opposed To Boracay Or Puerto Galera?

ABCDiamond
Posted
Posted

So what is the difference between Filipino and Tagalog?

Think of Filipino as Tagalog Plus.

Filipino is inclusive of the contributions of languages other than Tagalog.

For instance, it is quite all right to say "diksyunaryo" (from the Spanish diccionario) in Filipino, whereas a Tagalog purist (or someone stuck in the "Pilipino" era) might insist on a native Tagalog word like "talatinigan." It is also more politically correct to refer to Filipino, not Tagalog, as the Philippine national language.

For Filipinos from other parts of the country, Tagalog is not their first language; they learn to speak Filipino because it is constitutionally the national language and taught in schools. 

In practical terms, most people, especially Filipinos overseas who have come to realize that foreigners favor "Tagalog" to refer to the Philippine national language, don't strictly differentiate among the words Filipino, Pilipino and Tagalog, and have learned to adapt to how Americans or Canadians perceive the meaning of each word.

That is why when you go to a bookstore in North America, for example, you are more likely to find a "Tagalog (or Pilipino) dictionary" than a "Filipino dictionary."

http://tagaloglang.com/The-Philippines/Language/filipino-tagalog-pilipino.html

Having been married to a Filipina, or in a relationship with one, for the last 25 years, this language things is something I have learnt over this time.  

My current girlfriend is a Bicol speaker, and to be TOLD to speak a foreign language (English) to communicate with other Filipinos is just weird !

• Like 1

ABCDiamond
Posted
Posted
if the taxi driver gets me from point a to b and I'm still alive I don't care if he speaks Swahili.
I agree with that too.  But it was the Taxi driver that we had no problems with.  It was almost everyone else, just about all conversations in most shops etc.  None wanted to speak Filipino.  Consequently the language problem became such that Cebu was off the list.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I had my wife read the link to see what she thinks.

Her thoughts are:

• That the spoken contemporary Tagalog, much like any other language or dialect, evolved over time, and as such, could not have remained “pure”.  So, the Tagalog plus concept is superfluous.  It’s like telling the Brits that that their English is really English plus, just because they no longer use the language of the bard.
  • Spanish words were incorporated into Tagalog, as Spanish words did with other dialects.  In the example given, "diksyunaryo", the word “talatinigan” was probably coined after the fact, and thus, did not catch on like “diksyunario”. 
  • Although there may have been some (and may still be) Tagalog purists, there were/are not many in number.  Long gone are the days of Balagtasan, and archaic Tagalog.

In summary, Pilipino is contemporary Tagalog.  It is the language spoken in the homes of Tagalogs, and not Tagalog plus.

• Like 2

ABCDiamond
Posted
Posted

In further summary, it seems that there are a differences on what Filipinos think on this, let alone us outsiders :)

It is interesting how a subject changes though, from a Bicol speaker in Cebu having to use English to communicate, instead of... umm what's this new language that came in to the conversation... Tagalog ;)

Now... how big a difference is there between Bicol and Tagalog ?  

Should Bicol speakers also refuse to use Tagalog ? ;)

Any suggestions for a Philippine National language ? ;)

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Funny thing about this conversation... I keep hearing how English is a foreign language... Really? Hmmm....

• Like 2

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Just a thought, in Manila 99.9 percent of agents applying for work in the BPO industry speak Tagalog, no matter where in the Philippines they are from. Many of course speak the dialect originating from where they were born and educated. Plus all of them speak to different degrees English.

In Clark Pampanga, most agents speak Kampampangan, and all speak Tagalog, and all speak English.

In Legazpi Bicol, all agents speak Bicolan, and most if not all also speak Tagalog, and once again all agents speak English.

My point here is, what percentage of us "Kanos" have the ability to communicate in at least three different languages.

And people wonder why the Philippines is the number 1 place in the world for the BPO voice industry!

Another example of hour versatile and adaptable Filipinos are.

Papa Carl

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Just a thought, in Manila 99.9 percent of agents applying for work in the BPO industry speak Tagalog, no matter where in the Philippines they are from. Many of course speak the dialect originating from where they were born and educated. Plus all of them speak to different degrees English.

In Clark Pampanga, most agents speak Kampampangan, and all speak Tagalog, and all speak English.

In Legazpi Bicol, all agents speak Bicolan, and most if not all also speak Tagalog, and once again all agents speak English.

My point here is, what percentage of us "Kanos" have the ability to communicate in at least three different languages.

And people wonder why the Philippines is the number 1 place in the world for the BPO voice industry!

Another example of hour versatile and adaptable Filipinos are.

Papa Carl

I don't know about that, Papa Carl.

I myself speak several languages... English, Canadian, American, Australian, should I go on?

:)

• Like 3

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

My fiancee sometimes gets a little bent that she has to speak Tagalog when up in the Manila area (or when folks from there come down to Cebu/Bohol).  She speaks Cebuano, Tagalog, and English fluently.  She tried Spanish, but due to the extensive overlap/borrowing already present in the Philippines it got confusing for her.  She's interested in French, too.  I'm like Bob...my language skills are extensively limited!  But I can suss out some Romance language words since I wasted two years in HS taking Latin...ugh.

• Like 1

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

I spent one week in Boracay; one month in Cebu; 5 months in Puerto Galera. All in the last 12 months.

Boracay I would go back to, anytime :D  (Once I win the Lottery)

Cebu, Never again, at least not when I am with a non Cebuano speaker.  I found that they don't like to speak Filipino there, which caused us many problems.

Puerto Galera...  I was in a quite part, but on the beach.  I liked it, very peaceful, and not too expensive.  20,000 pesos for a month, for Living room, Bedroom, Kitchen and Bathroom, (60 sq metres) with a 30 second dash to the beach... :)

Sabang and White beach were both too busy for me. But I know many that like that.  And similar but smaller apartments are available at a similar price, at least in Sabang.  But PG does have cheaper accommodation, but not, in my opinion, suitable for westerners.

Cebu, Never again, at least not when I am with a non Cebuano speaker.  I found that they don't like to speak Filipino there, which caused us many problems.  

I have often found that english is used in Cebu.  :)

English, Cebuano, Tagalog, Waray. something for everyone how can that possibly be difficult?  :bash:

• Like 1

ABCDiamond
Posted
Posted
English, Cebuano, Tagalog, Waray. something for everyone how can that possibly be difficult?
You missed Filipino and Bicol ;)  

My Girlfriend is Bicol, but speaks Filipino better than Tagalog.  The Cebuanos refused to speak Filipino or Tagalog, insisting on using Cebuano or English, to a Bicol/Filipino speaker.

In some ways it was funny having to be the go between in languages for two Filipinos, who didn't use a common language, but after many days it got tedious.  Hence we moved somewhere better. Simpler in the long run.