Maybe 'yaya' To You- But Not To Me!

Bruce
Posted
Posted
I had in mind some formidable old biddy with a stick to give me a good whack with if, more likely when I blunder.

Whoa! Robert K has been a baaaaad boy! Well corporal punishment is a Jake thing, not too much here in the Philippines. But... if you want to pay, I am sure you can find someone willing to give it a try! :hystery: Perhaps a retired nanny who spent years in the German / Dutch locations and maybe picked up some of the local customs... :mocking:     

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

We have a yoyo (Spanish masculine for yaya) at our house. He is a nephew, a PO1, who, as well as security, he shops, cooks and cleans. He accompanies our daughters when they go to the city or to festivals like a chaperone. He is a good friend to all of us so it works out very well.

• Like 3

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Ok, here is my input.

In my years here I have changed many yaya's helpers kasambahay...call them whatever...

Most are leaving due to pregnancy (not from me!!!). Others left for work abroad.

The salary I pay them is the standard every Filipino pays more or less, 3000p/month.

I provide them with their own spacious room and their own bathroom (en suite). They eat with us whatever we eat, on the same table but most of the times they like to eat by them self in the kitchen table, fine with me.

At a time I had 3 of them, I only need one and so I have now. Yes the wife does not work but the house is 260m2 inside and 400m2 lot, takes more than the usual house chords we are used to. I like having my kid to bring all his friends in the house playing here instead of anywhere else...so you understand the mess of my kindergarden!!

Many times I see my kiddo and my wife becoming very demanding on her, bring me this bring me that...I only ask her to cook, wash iron and bring me the morning coffee.

To our western standards it is considered exploitation having someone working the entire month for 75USD...We cannot accept the idea. Well...this is the way it is here. When a salary of a barangay councilor is 16000p/month, of a teacher 14000p/month and they do not receive lodging and food... figure out the rest.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I went through a couple live-in nannies when my twins were first born many years ago.  One I fired because she had a different man in her bedroom every night and I didn't want my kids exposed to this.  If he left before they got up or she went to his place and then came back home in time to start the next day - that would have been fine.  But she always brought her 'man of the night" to the breakfast table.

Does anything like that happen with yayas in the Philippines?

:morning1:

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I went through a couple live-in nannies when my twins were first born many years ago.  One I fired because she had a different man in her bedroom every night and I didn't want my kids exposed to this.  If he left before they got up or she went to his place and then came back home in time to start the next day - that would have been fine.  But she always brought her 'man of the night" to the breakfast table.

:morning1:

Well! That is not very open minded.. suppose there for a minute she was bringing home a different girlfriend every night and they both came to the breakfast table (Down Jake, get down... sorry, Jake suddenly started running around in circles and jumping and drooling) Would you feel the same way and fire her? (JAKE! I did not say anything about them being from Sweden or wearing a teddy.....So try to contain yourself)

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

As a rule, no.  They have their trysts elsewhere.

• Like 1