What Are The Reason For You To Leave The Philippines

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Well, I've typed up (then deleted) several responses to the OP question. I don't want to sound negative, but all I can say is somethings that I found amusing when I first got here have becoming annoyances. I will leave it at that. I've been here almost 3 months with my Filipina wife and 15 month old baby girl. This is my first time in the Philippines. I am still trying hard to adjust to life/culture here. I find Red Horse helps sometimes! :)

We have been here for almost 4 months now.  We came here for Michael.  He is 4 months old and we have had him since day 1 and will be adopting him.  My wife spent 20 years here in the PI, then 13 years in NY and now 4 months back here.  When I asked her what her response is to the OP's question she said " It would take less time to list reasons to stay."

She is NOT happy here.  Sure it's nice to see family but if she listed her answers here, she would sound like a poreigner and get the "your a guest here if you don't like the way things are then go home" answer.  But she is home and  it's like going back to high school at age 35.  It was fun as a teenager, not so much now.  One thing we both agree on is that Michael is the best thing that ever happened to us and if we have to stay here because of him, well that's fine.

• Like 5

Elena
Posted
Posted
Hi all! Thank you very much for your answers and advice! I am very happy here with friendly people. I know that the people of Russia are often considered severe.

This is due to their own language, in which a lot of open sounds and pronunciation of a second language. There are Russian, who can not behave and I'm embarrassed for them. Unfortunately, they often travel as they have money on them and judge all Russian. It is not.

The problem is with the language but I use the electronic translator now. When we come to the Philippines I say in very simple terms that I could understand and I was able to understand the answer.
  • Like 2

Elena
Posted
Posted

We are planning to move to the Philippines, first as a second home to live 4-5 months a year, because it still is not done business in Russia. Plan to complete in 2-3 years and move at all. We do not have a tight budget, we can live anywhere. We traveled a lot and have chosen the Philippines, because the warm climate, fruit, smiling and friendly people, good diving and you travel a lot on the bike. We like that in the Philippines can be inexpensive now have a home help and medical attention in the future.

• Like 1

Elena
Posted
Posted
I understand what you're writing. We have seen that in places where many tourists see them as an ATM machine and call prices are not true. Output I can only see if you know the real value of the goods or services, when you live a long time. This is probably because the filipina people think of to get more money once but did not get a little long. Poverty and lack of education are also important.
But it is their country, and she is what it is and we are just guests. It seems silly to try to change someone else's country. You can only change your attitude to what you do not like. It makes sense to change only what affects your life.

There have been similar problems in Russia so maybe it might not be such an eye opener.  Then there is the danger of becoming a target as a foreigner you stand out in the crowd and can become a target for crime especially if you live in the wrong place or are out spoken and could annoy the wrong person. Also kidnapping is a realty in some areas. You might also find it hard to accept that many locals will just see you as an ATM machine too and even people you think are friends will eventually show their intentions. Unfortunately the foreigners that have gone before you have helped make it this way by throwing money and their weight around and have hurt and upset many locals and given foreigners a bad name to many local people.

• Like 4

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

It seems silly to try to change someone else's country. You can only change your attitude to what you do not like. It makes sense to change only what affects your life.

I think you have the right attitude to live there. You have to accept it for what it is and enjoy the good things. But it's also equally important to know the negative things and understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea. Once you get over the annoyance which I think can take a few months to a year then you should be able to handle the place easily. it's the first few months where people go crazy with things like Roosters waking you up or some people even get upset at been called "Joe" or whatever or the checkout girl doesn't say thanks or whatever... :)

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 2

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Buld your own place and your own lifestyle.

How does one do this as a foreign couple ie, no local connection?

brock
Posted
Posted

Buld your own place and your own lifestyle.

How does one do this as a foreign couple ie, no local connection?

You can lease land for 50 years and build on that

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Yes. I have a 50 yr lease. And as I am over 50, I doubt I will make that! When I die the family here that runs the charity gets the building.

What I build and do in Phils benefits me whilst alive... not so much after i am dead. I went into this with that opinion and all the money i may spend on a building will benefit those after I am gone.

As for being called Joe..... If I had $1 each time, i could live comfortably here. It is not unusual for me to hear that Hey Joe! 30 times a day when ringing in town and the same when i am riding out of town. A few people do call out my real name and since I have a black hat, I am easy to spot.  

• Like 1

Bigdog
Posted
Posted

Much like my plan..winters in the Philippines and summers fishing Alaska :thumbsup: .. I'm like sjp, cant wait to get here and ready to go home after 6 months..

• Like 4