What Are The Reason For You To Leave The Philippines

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Elena, I have read all that you have written about this and I think you will do fine.  You already know a bit about the Philippines and what to expect.  You also have a great attitude in regards to living in the Philippines.  

The ones that leave in a huff and never want to come back?  A few have family problems (as others have discussed already) or they just weren't willing to have the right attitude.  I think a lot of people lose their desire because their first days there are not taken in the right direction.  Everybody should treat it as a vacation place - like the kids do on their summer vacation from school - but at the same time remember that it is going to be a very long vacation...  Sit back, relax and enjoy the sounds around you...  Ah, hear the cock crowing?  Hear the children as they run home from school?  Oh, yes, the trucks early in the morning!  Perhaps the farmers bringing fresh food to the market!  Wow!  Firecrackers!  Is there a festival in town today? Nice!!!  Ok, maybe a little too simplistic but those who run home mad would probably have stayed and been very happy if they thought more like this.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Ah, hear the cock crowing? Hear the children as they run home from school? Oh, yes, the trucks early in the morning! Perhaps the farmers bringing fresh food to the market! Wow! Firecrackers! Is there a festival in town today? Nice!!! Ok, maybe a little too simplistic but those who run home mad would probably have stayed and been very happy if they thought more like this.

Yes. It is all a matter of attitude. I get irritated hearing the ambulance siren disturbing the peace & quiet. My wife in her yoga like sirenity whispers, "Another person being saved." Drives me insane whenever she says it and increases my irritability. 

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Hi all! Sorry my english is bad. My husband and I 47 and 45, are planning to come to live in the Philippines. Reading the forums noticed that a lot of expats lived in the Philippines 5-7 years return to their country back. We visited three times a month or more, and we liked the country. We are not starry-eyed, but it may have something that the tourist does not see, but it becomes apparent only after a long stay. Share your thoughts.

We are planning to move to the Philippines, first as a second home to live 4-5 months a year, because it still is not done business in Russia. Plan to complete in 2-3 years and move at all. We do not have a tight budget, we can live anywhere. We traveled a lot and have chosen the Philippines, because the warm climate, fruit, smiling and friendly people, good diving and you travel a lot on the bike. We like that in the Philippines can be inexpensive now have a home help and medical attention in the future.

I have lived here in the Philippines for a year now and have to say that this split time idea is what I am leaning toward.  Time will tell what WE decide after my filipina gets some time in the USA to make her call.  I find that I am more and more missing things that in the USA I can get routinely for 1/4 of the cost in RP. 

Namely right NOW it is dairy products.  Hailing from "The Dairy State" (Wisconsin), I really like FRESH cheese and milk.  This UHT milk and packaged cheese is just not acceptable.  For now I don't even try to eat what is available because it just increases the desire for GOOD products.  So as a solution I will go to the USA come October.  Possibly in the future I will find a way to satisfy my desires with substitute items, there will come better supplies at reasonable costs OR I will make my own.  I hear relatives have a dairy farm on Mindanao so we may move in with them. :thumbsup:

Other things that I miss?  A few other food items at INEXPENSIVE prices (grapes, romaine lettuce hearts, tomato WITH flavor), driving long distance, camping in my travel trailer, playing sports at the campgrounds, and hmmmm - not much else.

I do really like it here in RP and if I had to stay here or the USA.... ummmm, tough, but RP would likely win.  It would NOT win because it is cheaper to live though.  That doesn't work for me because I can live more cheaply in the USA AND get the things I want.  Here I would live for around the same price, miss some favorite things (maybe have to find replacements) but have the people around me that matter.

:attention:  Have a wonderful day!!!

Afterthought: I like Cebu (less the polution) and Claveria (outside of Cagayan de Oro on Mindanao) for the cool mountain air.  They can keep Manila and I will bolt as soon as possible back to Cebu.

& Elena, your English is just fine.  MUCH better than my Russian, :hystery: and better than some folks I know that only have English. :tiphat:

• Like 3

bootleultras
Posted
Posted (edited)

Some of the things that are frustrating are paying your bills ( some times takes an hour in line ), Not being able to find the foods you like to eat, People always trying to get money from you, Not very good internet. ( I don,t use the internet that much when I,m in the Philippines )

Just pay your bills online........PLDT, Meralco etc are all taken care of from the comfort of my bed or sofa! :) I require a solid internet connection for a lot of work related things from home, I have never had an issue with PLDT, haven't even lost connection during typhoon season either, a good friend of mine uses Globe and he swears by them too, so maybe its just your particular area? :). As for the food, Ive been a little converted but that doesn't stop the craving for some home based food, luckily for me I found a really good British bar that does cracking pies, real sausages & other delights I never thought Id have again for a while......was there just recently as a birthday treat for myself. :thumbsup:

Hi all! Sorry my english is bad. My husband and I 47 and 45, are planning to come to live in the Philippines. Reading the forums noticed that a lot of expats lived in the Philippines 5-7 years return to their country back. We visited three times a month or more, and we liked the country. We are not starry-eyed, but it may have something that the tourist does not see, but it becomes apparent only after a long stay. Share your thoughts.

We are planning to move to the Philippines, first as a second home to live 4-5 months a year, because it still is not done business in Russia. Plan to complete in 2-3 years and move at all. We do not have a tight budget, we can live anywhere. We traveled a lot and have chosen the Philippines, because the warm climate, fruit, smiling and friendly people, good diving and you travel a lot on the bike. We like that in the Philippines can be inexpensive now have a home help and medical attention in the future.

Other things that I miss? A few other food items at INEXPENSIVE prices (grapes, romaine lettuce hearts, tomato WITH flavor), driving long distance, camping in my travel trailer, playing sports at the campgrounds, and hmmmm - not much else.

:

Greg get out of Manila! :hystery:......try going up north to Banauwe, Vigan or Hundred Islands etc, same can be said of the south Batangas, Camerines del sur or Legazpi, they should certainly quench your thirst for long distance drives, I found them drives more than long enough and in dire need for an ice cold San Mig at the end of the journeys. :thumbsup: its certainly a world away from the hustle and bustle of Manila!

Elena, it sounds like you are preparing the right way for a move here, one piece of advice I could offer is to start to look at the area you may wish to move to and spend a bit of time there on each of your visits..... This way you can get a personal opinion of the advantages and disadvantages of that particular place, both of a day and night....good luck!

Edited by bootleultras
  • Like 2

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

8 years, 3 months, takes time to adapt and had some harsh experiences here, but! no more than any other country, lived in Spain, lived in South Africa, then had 14 years in the Navy, all of which places had there good and bad points. Philippines I love and intend to stay here till the end, thats a long time from now and I am looking forward to the good and the bad that comes along, life is after all challenging and no matter which country we are in, if we concentrate on the bad we would not stay long any where.

oooops! off subject but reasons to leave??? No Way! make your bed and lay in it! it is after all our choice, no one forces us

Edited by Geoff Thomas
  • Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

For me, the primary reason I consider leaving the Philippines one day is lack of money.  This place is heaven, if you have loads of cash.  It is hell if you are broke and need to be hospitalized.

Although a few people fall between the cracks in Canada's socialized system I would rather be there and broke than in Philippines and broke, especially if I needed the health services.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Much like my plan..winters in the Philippines and summers fishing Alaska :thumbsup: .. I'm like sjp, cant wait to get here and ready to go home after 6 months..

Same here. 6 months in and 6 months out.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

I can understand single men living in the Phils but a couple? For ten years I planned my retirement in Asia but after a fact finding trip to Colombia............. no contest,  cheap cost of living, incredible landscapes, very friendly people, foreigners CAN own land and they have a retirement plan. I still love Fillipinas though.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

Hi Elena where do you plan to live in the Philippines?

Elena
Posted
Posted

Hi! We plan to live in the south of the island of Cebu. The exact location is not chosen but somewhere between Alcoy c Moalboal east and from the west. It is within a three-hour accessibility by car from Cebu City but far enough away from the big city for a quiet life and good diving. Been there several times for 3-4 weeks, and we liked it. Initially planned to find a house right away, but after reading the forum are inclined to first to come and stay in a rented accommodation before making a final decision.

• Like 4