Smooth Move!

Americano
Posted
Posted

In November 2010, I moved from a house in Cebu City to an apartment in Carcar City. The moving crew of three men arrived at 5:00am as planned in a large flatbed truck with side rails. We already had everything boxed up ready to go so by 6:30am we were on the road with my gf and I riding in front with the driver while the other two men rode in the back.

We stopped in Talisay were I bought everyone an early lunch and then we continued on to Carcar.

I had rented the apartment which is on the second and third floor.  Some large items like the refrigerator and love seat wouldn't go up the stairs due to a light fixture being in the way so it had to be removed.  And, there was no way the sofa could be taken up the stairs and make the sharp turns to the 3rd floor so it had to be taken up another way. Luckily there's a terrace on the 3rd floor where the men used 2 ropes to lift the sofa up and brought it through the sliding glass doors.

The move went very well.  There was no damage done to anything and my gf and I didn't have to do any heavy lifting. And, the price was very low at P3,000+ for the distance moved and the amount of work done.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sounds like you have found a bit of heaven for you and your family as well!

Bob you better get your butt over here these little bits of heaven are disappearing fast ....... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :cheersty:

Would you believe I have one suitcase (the large one) already packed and waiting for the last couple months?  The carry-on will get the rest of my clothes and toiletries along with my netbook and I have to slip the monitor and laptop into the suitcase...  Just have to get those last few things looked after!  

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

move from San Fernando, La Union to Baguio for just 3000 pesos.

One key reason why our move cost as much as it did was because of the tolls on the three expressways we used, and we had two vehicles.  Actually they skipped the last toll road and went on a local road, which was fine by me as I got to see the area.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Would you believe I have one suitcase (the large one) already packed and waiting for the last couple months?  The carry-on will get the rest of my clothes and toiletries along with my netbook and I have to slip the monitor and laptop into the suitcase...  Just have to get those last few things looked after!  

Wow. That is traveling very light for such a major long term move. I brought too large checked baggage suitcases. A small carryon suitcase and a backpack for my laptop.

Do you plan on shipping some other things in balikabayan boxes?

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Don't forget you're very restricted on what you can carry in your carry on but not so much in your checked baggage. For example, I believe you are limited to 1/2 oz or less of liquid or jell in your carry on but no limit in your checked baggage. And, you can carry knives and swords in your checked baggage.

The only problem I ever had was taking a survival knife with a rechargeable lighter on it out of the Philippines in my checked bag. The solution was to release the butane.  And, I was told at the airport that the sea shells in my checked bag were not allowed to be transported  but they let me go anyway. Maybe they were hoping to get a bribe but I didn't offer one.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Wow. That is traveling very light for such a major long term move. I brought too large checked baggage suitcases. A small carryon suitcase and a backpack for my laptop.

I will only have 2 boxes to follow...  maybe!  I'm looking at the cost of shipping old worn out things as opposed to buying new and I just can't see it.  

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Don't forget you're very restricted on what you can carry in your carry on but not so much in your checked baggage. For example, I believe you are limited to 1/2 oz or less of liquid or jell in your carry on but no limit in your checked baggage. And, you can carry knives and swords in your checked baggage.

The only problem I ever had was taking a survival knife with a rechargeable lighter on it out of the Philippines in my checked bag. The solution was to release the butane.  And, I was told at the airport that the sea shells in my checked bag were not allowed to be transported  but they let me go anyway. Maybe they were hoping to get a bribe but I didn't offer one.

No swords - just my kitchen knives!  And enough to keep me going until I get re-established.  Dishes, furniture, bed, etc will be purchased there.  I have towels and sheets and some things that I have recently purchased such as a set of pots and pans that are smaller than normal and will be great for travelling, a 19" monitor, laptop, attaching cables, pictures of my kids and a few other little things along with some clothes.  Most of my clothes will be in my carry-on along with my shaving kit (yeah, ex military..  hehe) and some extra shoes, my netbook and medications.  Seriously, I've done too much travelling over the years and I have learned what is worth taking or not taking!  Now coming back to Canada for visits with my Special Someone?  The carry-on will be for both of our clothes and the suitcase will be for gifts going home and coming back!  And, yes! Both are maxed out in size to fit with airline requirements.

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

For international flights to Asia, most airlines permit two check-in suitcases at no extra charge. Some have reduced the weight per suitacase to 50 lbs., others are still 70 lbs. each. The carryon bag supposedly is limited to 15 lbs., but seldom enforced. Now, if you exceed, there are carriers that will charge for an overweight suitcase, but they permit you to move aside and dump items to reduce the weight back to the maximum allowed. The sky's the limited for a third or fourth check-in suitcase.

As mentioned earlier in another topic is you need to make sure everything is checked to its final destination. This is important when there is more than one carrier involved. Some carriers try to charge for the domestic leg such such as up to the West Coast. They claim the two "free" suitcases is for the international leg of the trip. This is not true, but double check with the international carrier.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Most of my clothes will be in my carry-on along with my shaving kit (yeah, ex military..  hehe) and some extra shoes, my netbook and medications.

I expect your medications cost a great deal less in Canada than they will in the Philippines. So you may want to purchase as many months supply of meds as you can to bring with you. I was able to bring a 4 month supply with me.

• Like 4

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

I will only have 2 boxes to follow...  maybe!  I'm looking at the cost of shipping old worn out things as opposed to buying new and I just can't see it.  

Tell us what you are gonna throw away and we will tell you if u should send it.  Almost everything here is $$$$$$$$$$$$  and built to last about a week.  It's all crap!!!!