Recommendation For A Furniture Maker

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

We received our tables from a local furniture maker yesterday and they turned out great, so I am happy to recommend him to anyone who is in the Subic Bay area.  Solidly constructed using veneers, nice finish and smooth drawers on metal slide rails.  He is very straightforward on the prices and seems to have a price in his head for each type of furniture.  It took him one week to make both.  He has quite a few people working for him and he does a lot of work for hotels, etc.  I had him make the TV stand the same length as one he had (76 inches), but in retrospect I should have made it 1 foot shorter.  It will look smaller once I get a larger TV.  The pieces were made to our specs and the TV stand was p6500 and the side table was p3200.  A great bargain compared to furniture stores selling less quality for a lot more money.

PM me for more information about the furniture maker.  The last picture is a neighbor with her new baby.

post-1784-0-71007800-1366337869_thumb.jp

post-1784-0-37824000-1366338070_thumb.jp

post-1784-0-50080300-1366338115_thumb.jp

post-1784-0-47862300-1366338250_thumb.jp

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted
The last picture is a neighbor with her new baby.

:mocking:  I was going to ask if he made that too - until I saw the picture!  :mocking:  :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

We hope to find a good furniture maker in Marinduque this June.  Should we not find one, would he be willing to create furniture if we provide pictures and measurements?  (We would come to see him in person of course).  And, would he ship to Marinduque?

Did he happen to quote you a price for real wood?

Thanks.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We hope to find a good furniture maker in Marinduque this June.  Should we not find one, would he be willing to create furniture if we provide pictures and measurements?  (We would come to see him in person of course).  And, would he ship to Marinduque?

Did he happen to quote you a price for real wood?

Thanks.

I will ask him about the shipping.

Yes, he can make just about anything you want.  We ordered a 55" X 32" desk yesterday, and he sketched it out for us from my terrible sketch.

I think you mean "solid" wood?  The veneer is "real" wood veneer over a plywood product.  It looks good and is solid.  He can do solid wood but it is a lot more expensive and a lot heavier.  I was not interested so I did not ask the cost.  Yesterday I noticed an old beautiful wood table and he told me it was mahogany.

We are having beds made at another place, out of solid Gmelina.  We already received one and it is pretty good, but not the high quality furniture look that the other guy does.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Looks great OMW ..... there are so true craftsman here in the Phils when you are lucky enough to find one ..... before we left Cebu a neighbor had a cabinet made from veneer and I was shocked the only part covered with the veneer was the part you saw .... inside the doors when you opened them was just plywood as well as the back .... only the outside of the doors ... top and sides was veneered ..... and nothing was sanded .... but you get what you pay for they made this out front in the street .....

I'm glad your cabinet maker doesn't live near me .... not only would I be bugging him everyday (I love working with wood) I'd probably be broke with all the stuff I would want built ..... thanks for sharing .... :thumbsup: :cheersty:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I'm glad your cabinet maker doesn't live near me .... not only would I be bugging him everyday (I love working with wood) I'd probably be broke with all the stuff I would want built ..... thanks for sharing ....

I always thought that when I retired I would start building things.  My dad was a great wood worker and built many things.  He also used veneers and for many years he made his own veneered woods by buying the furniture grade plywood and the thin veneer separately, then hand gluing them together.  Nowadays I think most people buy the veneered wood products ready to go.   I hated to part with it but when I left the US I gave a beautiful dark walnut horizontal file cabinet, that my dad built, to my nephew.  I think he built it in the early 60's and it still looks great.  One of the end cap veneers needs repair but otherwise it is still beautiful.

However, here in the Philippines it would not be cost or time effective to build something yourself.  Even if I had the tools and space, it would take me a month to complete what he does in a week for $150!   :hystery:   And I would spend more than that just on the wood I would ruin and have to replace.

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
I will ask him about the shipping.

Thanks...and you were right, I meant solid wood.

But on second thoughts, solid wood would be too heavy and pricey.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
However, here in the Philippines it would not be cost or time effective to build something yourself. Even if I had the tools and space, it would take me a month to complete what he does in a week for $150!

Well part of the joy of woodworking is the fact that you can take your time ..... when I moved here I didn't bring many wood working tools because I thought hand tools would be cheap here ..... well they are cheap just what I'm used to is not available .... :mocking:  ... I enjoy making things the old fashion way with wooden planes (which by the way I found some here .... just the blades are crap) unfortunately where we live now I don't have any space to set up my work bench or to do any building .... I built my bench so I could take it apart as it wouldn't fit through any doors so it sits in pieces along with many of my projects .... but someday if I don't die ...... of old age first ...... I can set my shop up again ....

But the good thing is I have a driveway to work on my SUV in ..... so all is not lost ..... :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
Sunny Lacanlale Ong
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm interested to meet this furniture maker. Could you give me his contact information? I'm also from Olongapo. My email is( No Email allowed)  Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
removed

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm interested to meet this furniture maker. Could you give me his contact information? I'm also from Olongapo. My email is( No Email allowed)  Thanks in advance.

PM sent.  I'm not sure if you can read or send PM yet.  You might need to make a few more posts.