Recommendation For A Furniture Maker

chris49
Posted
Posted

I will ask him about the shipping.

Thanks...and you were right, I meant solid wood.

But on second thoughts, solid wood would be too heavy and pricey.

Can't see that one Mac. Damage in shipping plus the cost looks like a major deterrent.

There is no shortage of local wood and bamboo furniture shops around here, how about in your area. It's just a matter of dropping into a few a seeing what's going on. I went to one where the varnish was already peeling off the furniture. So of course they assured me they would re varnish. Then a big truck pulls up with a whole load of unvarnished bamboo furniture. Clearly they did not even make the furniture there.

But found another place while out on the bike, 2 venues, one where they make the furniture and another place, a covered area in the market where they sell it. I'm not saying it was as good as On My Way's, but I was able to talk to the owner and I liked what she said.

But we do have hardwoods and ample bamboo here. Don't they have that in Dumaguete?

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Can't see that one Mac. Damage in shipping plus the cost looks like a major deterrent. There is no shortage of local wood and bamboo furniture shops around here, how about in your area. It's just a matter of dropping into a few a seeing what's going on. I went to one where the varnish was already peeling off the furniture. So of course they assured me they would re varnish. Then a big truck pulls up with a whole load of unvarnished bamboo furniture. Clearly they did not even make the furniture there. But found another place while out on the bike, 2 venues, one where they make the furniture and another place, a covered area in the market where they sell it. I'm not saying it was as good as On My Way's, but I was able to talk to the owner and I liked what she said. But we do have hardwoods and ample bamboo here. Don't they have that in Dumaguete?

We are still in Toronto, with a newly constructed beach house in Marinduque (we had the old one torn down and rebuilt from the ground up).  Marinduque has very good hard wood and bamboo, and I am told, competent furniture makers.  They make furniture of a certain style, though, and so having furniture made there might be something we look into when we are there full time (another 3 years).

In the meantime, my wife has picked out furniture from Manila.  They are shipped to their family home in Eastwood, then her brother arranges for transport to Marinduque.  So far, they have delivered our patio furniture (rattan living room and dining room ensemble), and it has been confirmed that they arrived in good condition.  So, we are hoping that the rest of the furniture will follow in the same state.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

But we do have hardwoods and ample bamboo here. Don't they have that in Dumaguete?

There are Quite a few Furniture makers in and around Dumaguete. Hard wood and bamboo but it is a boots on the Ground Adventure to get what you need.

JP   :tiphat:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Can't see that one Mac. Damage in shipping plus the cost looks like a major deterrent. There is no shortage of local wood and bamboo furniture shops around here, how about in your area. It's just a matter of dropping into a few a seeing what's going on. I went to one where the varnish was already peeling off the furniture. So of course they assured me they would re varnish. Then a big truck pulls up with a whole load of unvarnished bamboo furniture. Clearly they did not even make the furniture there. But found another place while out on the bike, 2 venues, one where they make the furniture and another place, a covered area in the market where they sell it. I'm not saying it was as good as On My Way's, but I was able to talk to the owner and I liked what she said. But we do have hardwoods and ample bamboo here. Don't they have that in Dumaguete?

We are still in Toronto, with a newly constructed beach house in Marinduque (we had the old one torn down and rebuilt from the ground up).  Marinduque has very good hard wood and bamboo, and I am told, competent furniture makers.  They make furniture of a certain style, though, and so having furniture made there might be something we look into when we are there full time (another 3 years).

In the meantime, my wife has picked out furniture from Manila.  They are shipped to their family home in Eastwood, then her brother arranges for transport to Marinduque.  So far, they have delivered our patio furniture (rattan living room and dining room ensemble), and it has been confirmed that they arrived in good condition.  So, we are hoping that the rest of the furniture will follow in the same state.

I have seen the higher level rattan around QC, good choice, they don't make that level in province. It's beautiful, but not highly expensive.

Since you have a good budget, everything you say makes sense. You sre getting the higher level, hopefully at local prices.

I priced hardwood table and chairs here (Vigan) and other living room items. Quite expensive but superb quality. I would have some if I could, but it's not practical right now.

There's some other choices, hardwood but not so good quality or well finished. Solid though. I think we will finish off the house first and worry about the furniture later.

Sidenote. Back in QC earlier I had 2 separate bunk beds made from Mindanao pine. Unfinished but we varnished them. Solid as a rock, I could not lift or even raise one.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I have seen the higher level rattan around QC, good choice, they don't make that level in province.

Can't Agree totally with you here Chris. nearly all our Furniture Makers are out of the City and sell in the City so it speaks for it's self to me

Provincial joiners and the Like are in a hand me down trade that has been within families for many many years.

personally this Higher level stuff can be produced if and I say if we want it and can afford it.

On your next Visit to the region call in to Dumaguete if you have time and I will run you round 1 or 2 Furniture Makers and you can judge for yourself. I will have Photos soon of the furniture we have had made. Not ready to post untill all is done but we are more than happy.

JPpost-2148-0-13155400-1441100533.png

Having said that maybe just a couple well three :)

post-2148-0-39325000-1441100371_thumb.jp post-2148-0-09391300-1441100388_thumb.jppost-2148-0-78504900-1441100414_thumb.jp

chris49
Posted
Posted

I know that Jack. The local guys are great.

I was talking about the rattan, have you seen that in your area?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I was talking about the rattan, have you seen that in your area?

We have a family member that makes it. Brilliant stuff but I don't like it.

JP :)

MacBubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
Marinduque has very good hard wood and bamboo, and I am told, competent furniture makers. They make furniture of a certain style, though, and so having furniture made there might be something we look into when we are there full time (another 3 years).

The hard wood furniture that we've seen in Marinduque are the very ornate type, very much like the wood-carved ones you would get in Laguna. 

My wife likes to dabble in furniture design, so she has some ideas that would blend better with the contemporary style of the house.  She will somehow marry inticate carvings with clean, modern lines, but that will take time and supervision in the production.

Since we still have to furnish the house in the meantime, we have decided to go with what Manila has  to offer.  We will introduce the accent pieces later.

Edited by MacBubba
  • Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Very negative report from the north.

As I have mentioned 2 days ago I have seen a large truck delivering unfinished bamboo furniture to the shop in Santa Domingo. That's where they varnish it and that's the cheap stuff (varnish and stain) which washes off if wet or simply peels off over time.

Now today, out riding again. The lady who has a "workshop" where she claims they make the furniture and they send it down to the market where they have a large area, selling the finished product. Not actually in the market, let's say adjacent, open area under a roof.

BullXXXX. I was out on the bike again today. At her "workshop" there was a large truck, choc a block full on unfinished hardwoods, presumably the local stuff, not sure what kind of wood, but maybe the stuff the builders use. Tangili? Something like that. When I came back 2 hours later, the entire truckload was unloaded and I could see how they moved things around to have the finished products in front. What I assumed was a cabinet maker was only a varnisher, that's all they do and I suppose the keep sending it down to the market. So much for handmade or made to order.

Edited by chris49

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
What I assumed was a cabinet maker was only a varnisher, that's all they do and I suppose the keep sending it down to the market. So much for handmade

When you investigate further you will probably find that it is a 'furniture maker' who parts out the work.  The raw materials go to one backyard builder who shapes all the wood.  Then it is picked up and shipped by truck to someone else's backyard, who assembles the furniture.  Then it is sent by truck to someone else's backyard where they varnish and/or finish it.  At that point the 'boss' has it picked up and shipped off to wherever he sells it.

Such was my experience when walking the back streets of outer Cebu and talking to the people who are doing that.  None of them are 'the boss' and all the pieces are counted and accounted for so you cannot buy anything from any of these backyard factories unless you find one who is willing to lose their job to sell you something that must have 'fell off the truck'.

But this is Philippines so your story may vary.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1